Intel at CES to show off next-gen of Apple-bound Sandy Bridge processors

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
An invitation from Intel confirms that the company will introduce its Sandy Bridge next-generation processors during its keynote at the Consumer Electronics Show on Jan. 5th, a new report claims.

According to the invitation, Intel PC Client Group general manager Mooly Eden will show off the new processors, which will include the "world's fastest processor," at CES, Electronista reports. The new processors are expected to replace the Nehalem line of chips currently used in Apple's Core i5 and i7-equipped iMacs and MacBook Pros.

"Desktop chips will range from dual 2.5 GHz Core i3s to quad 3.4 GHz Core i7s. Regular notebooks will get dual 2.5GHz to 2.7GHz Core i5 and i7 chips in the first batch of processors, and desktop replacements will get quad 2.2GHz through to 2.5GHz Core i7s," the report noted. Taiwanese industry publication Digitimes reported Monday that low-power Sandy Bridge processors will be coming to Intel's Huron River platform, which is also due for a Q1 2011 release.

During an earnings call in July, Intel CEO Paul Otellini said he was "more excited by Sandy Bridge" than any product that the company has launched "in a number of years." "Due to the very strong reception of Sandy Bridge, we have accelerated our 32-nanometer factory ramp and have raised our capex guidance to enable us to meet the anticipated demand," continued Otellini.

At the time, Intel was expected to release the processors at the end of this year, with Apple then incorporating them into its Mac lineup in early 2011. In 2009, Apple was the first PC maker to release a Nehalem-based system.

Despite falling behind in the mobile market, Intel has done well for itself. The world's largest chipmaker posted record earnings for the September quarter, with quarterly revenue exceeding $11 billion for the first time in the Santa Clara, Calif., company's history. Though Otellini remained optimistic about Intel's continued success, he did acknowledge that the iPad and other tablets are beginning to cannibalize PC margins.

In a company memo in October, Otellini admitted that Intel is losing the mobile race to Apple, which has gained a massive head start with the success of the iPhone and iPad, but he reassured employees that Intel was running a "marathon" and would catch up eventually.

Otellini cited Intel's come from behind to capture 90 percent of the server market as a prior example. ?I am also very optimistic about our opportunity in tablets and smartphones, even though we are not first to market with a solution,? Otellini said. ?Ultimately, we can and will lead.?

Apple has reportedly been dissatisfied with the drop in battery life that comes with using Intel's Atom chips. Early rumors suggested that an Apple tablet would sport an Atom chip, but Apple eventually went with a custom System on a Chip that used ARM reference designs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 136
    1st post w00t ... It's been a while.

So Intel's bundlegate continues unabated. Shovelling you useless GPUs while Nvidia and others still have no chance of using their chipsets or integrated GPUs. Intel makes some great CPUs, but it's certainly stabbed a few people in the back on the way there. And now with Sandy Bridge, it's secured its stranglehold on mainstream and performance CPUs, and mopped up the low end GPU market at the same time.

Looks like lower-end/ 11"/ 13" Macbook/Pros in 2011 will still continue to use Core 2 Duo.

I admit, I would love a thinned-down, no-optical-drive, 256GB SSD, Sandy Bridge i5 MacBook Pro 15".

But I have come to the stage where I wouldn't even know what I'd do with that speed at power.
  • Reply 2 of 136
    Any guesses as to when Apple will update it's iMac and MacBook Pro lines then? If they launch the Chips Q1 2011 then I'm guessing earliest.... Late January/Early February, and as late as early Summer?

Anyone?

Quad-Core i7 with 3.4 MHz looks tasty... Especially considering they'll update the Graphics Card too, ATI 5870 or something probably, and possibly even 1600 MHz Ram
  • Reply 3 of 136
    If you want a performance preview, Anand got ahold of a Sandy Bridge engineering sample and tested it.
  • Reply 4 of 136
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    What would we likely see in a MacBook Pro 13" update and the next MacBook Airs? Isn't Intel supposed to be halting production of the Core2Duo 1Q 2011?
  • Reply 5 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

What would we likely see in a MacBook Pro 13" update and the next MacBook Airs? Isn't Intel supposed to be halting production of the Core2Duo 1Q 2011?

This is exactly what I'm eager to see.

If Apple leaves the optical drive in there, I suspect them to use i5 with no separate graphics card, just the on-chip solution.

If they do decide (hopefully!) to axe the ODD, then I imagine Sandy Bridge + discrete graphics card.
  • Reply 6 of 136
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Dang, my first ever MBP bought this summer (I use MacPros normally), an i7, is about to be made obsolete! I guess it will fetch a good price on e-bay in a year or two though and I'll upgrade. Got do my part to help that AAPL stock! LOL
  • Reply 7 of 136
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Intel seems less and less interested in keeping Apple as a client.

The market is heading towards powerful low power processors and Intel is mostly interested in the high end.
  • Reply 8 of 136
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    It appears that Sandy Bridge will not natively support USB 3.0. This makes me a sad panda.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

The market is heading towards powerful low power processors and Intel is mostly interested in the high end.

I don’t see that. Intel keeps making their chips more power efficient with increased performance and it seems that each chip Apple buys is at ≈$250 or more in 1ku lots. Whilst other vendors buy more chips from Intel for their consumer end, Apple is buying all expensive chips. Nary a $50 Atom chip on the shopping list At 4M Macs per quarter that is $1 Billion in revenue.
  • Reply 9 of 136
    Quote:

Heaven forbid we get powerful computers.
  • Reply 10 of 136
    This doesn't tell us anything we didn't know already, but it's nice that Intel has now confirmed it. This is good news for the next MacBook Pro refresh.

I am sure we will see a new MBP line-up appear in January at an Apple event. it is not clear whether Apple versions of Sandy Bridge will get a discrete graphics processor, although it certainly looks likely for the 15" and 17" models based on past history and the weakness of Intel's own GPU modules. Given the 13" MBP's price-point, it could get a fully integrated Intel GPU, depending on whether Intel has been able to develop something better than existing options in this area of the market. With or without a discrete GPUs, we should see a worthwhile lift in performance for all MBPs.

I am guessing that Apple will not drop the internal DVD drive yet from any MBP model just yet, not only to maintain the MacBook Air's uniqueness, but also because the Air comes close to matching the performance of existing 13" MBPs. I think Apple will say that, for the time being, If you want a 13" laptop without a DVD drive, get the Air.

What I really hope Apple does is make SSD hard drives standard in the MBP without ramping up the price too much. I'd like to see 256Gb, 512Gb and even a 1TB option (wonder what that would cost!). We certainly need larger capacity drives. My disk is full - full of photos, movies, music and other stuff downloaded from iTunes. If Steve wants us to continue shopping on iTunes, then he needs to give us more room to store our sh*t.

I am also expecting new hi-resolution displays.

An unknown factor is whether Apple will now include USB 3.0. it is fast approaching prime time and the sooner Apple adopts it, the better IMO.

I'd like to see a 13" MBP offered with the same processors as a 15" MBP for crunching large graphics intensive programmes such as video editing and speadsheets.

All in all, these will be fast machines with stunning screens that offer a slick user experience. The only downside is that the form factor will not have changed which means they'll weigh just as much as before.
  • Reply 11 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

fusion, here we come... that is what i would hope for.

i don't see I3's being weakened by Intel (in there mind) and i don't think they will make a super powerful A4 chip... which leaves us with I7's and fusion...
  • Reply 12 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

I am sure we will see a new MBP line-up appear in January at an Apple event.

Have they already set a date for it? And any chance we'll see the iMac refresh there as well?

Quote:

I'd like to see 256Gb, 512Gb and even a 1TB option (wonder what that would cost!).

1TB SSD? Don't think it exists yet

Quote:

An unknown factor is whether Apple will now include USB 3.0. it is fast approaching prime time and the sooner Apple adopts it, the better IMO.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It appears that Sandy Bridge will not natively support USB 3.0. This makes me a sad panda.

Two posts above yours
  • Reply 13 of 136
    Correct me if i'm wrong but this appears to be a very nominal upgrade.
  • Reply 14 of 136
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:

the i Core CPU's are very power efficient. ARM is more power efficient but not as powerful. Intel has won a lot of design wins in embedded systems with the Atom, but they haven't been made public and no Intel Inside stickers on TV's.

idiot AMD sold their embedded systems business right about the time the iPhone came out and the market took off

Apple is maybe 10% of Intel's business and most of their CPU's are cheaper i3's compared to the i5's and i7's everyone else buys. Intel graphics are more than enough for most people and Acer and others are content with 4% net margins. Only reason Apple puts a dedicated GPU is to charge more and be able to make more profit.
  • Reply 15 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

Correct me if i'm wrong but this appears to be a very nominal upgrade.

it isn't that huge, the intigrated gpu is getting a large boost, a little clock.

but it still means faster cpu's

i persoally am more excited about the 22nm coming after this
  • Reply 16 of 136
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

I am sure we will see a new MBP line-up appear in January at an Apple event. it is not clear whether Apple versions of Sandy Bridge will get a discrete graphics processor, although it certainly looks likely for the 15" and 17" models based on past history and the weakness of Intel's own GPU modules. Given the 13" MBP's price-point, it could get a fully integrated Intel GPU, depending on whether Intel has been able to develop something better than existing options in this area of the market. With or without a discrete GPUs, we should see a worthwhile lift in performance for all MBPs.

I am guessing that Apple will not drop the internal DVD drive yet from any MBP model just yet, not only to maintain the MacBook Air's uniqueness, but also because the Air comes close to matching the performance of existing 13" MBPs. I think Apple will say that, for the time being, If you want a 13" laptop without a DVD drive, get the Air.

[?]

I'd like to see a 13" MBP offered with the same processors as a 15" MBP for crunching large graphics intensive programmes such as video editing and speadsheets.

I don? think the iGP in Sandy Bridge will be good enough for Apple to forego using Intel?s solution. Will it even support OpenCL, something Apple seems hellbent on including in every Mac even though it?s been unused since its inception?

I think you?re right about the ODD staying for another round, but if that is the case then getting a Core-iX CPU and a dGPU are slim to none in those MBP cases.

I?d like to see new 13? MBPs that mimic the MBA?s taper, but being 1? at its thickest point at the back to allow for the cooling of the 35W Core-iX and dGPU, with ports on both sides and being about .3? inches at the front, with as much or more battery time than before. Hopefully they will use some of that extra space for a 2.5? HDD for storage, along with their SSD card for booting, but I think that would be too good to be true? for me.

Quote:

I am also expecting new hi-resolution displays.

I?m expecting the 13? MBP to get the resolution of the 13? MBA, but that?s it for now. Unless Mac OS X Lion has RI or an intermediate layer that allows for decent scaling of element display resolutions could be in limbo for another version of Mac OS X. I sincerely hope that isn?t the case.

Quote:

Would Apple use the NEC controllers? Would they use there own or someone else?s, or just wait for Intel to get on board?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Implied View Post

1TB SSD? Don't think it exists yet

Not too tough. You could put 2x 512GiB SSDs into a current notebooks by removing the ODD, for a total of 1024GiB. Or, use a 1TiB and 750TiB for 1.75TiB, or any combination you wish.
  • Reply 17 of 136
    Quote:

Intel regards apple as a vital customer and are working to win back the mobile business. Apple and intel are also working together on some interesting Light Peak technologies that have potential to replace USB/Firewire.

Apple likes intel and can track their Mac sales increase to the switch to intel. Intel regards apple as a loyal customer because apple only uses their processors on the macs. Apple does not have cheaper alternatives similar to other PC manufacturers. Apple had no choice but to use their own silicon design because of power consumption issues that intel currently has. When intel catches up, i believe apple will happily give them the business back -- assuming the price is right.
  • Reply 18 of 136
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I'm fairly excited to see what these CPUs can do. More powerful laptops of course, but also hopefully in the Mac Pro (Xeon) which was a bit of a disappointing upgrade last time.
  • Reply 19 of 136
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    [QUOTE=AppleInsider;1753060]

"Desktop chips will range from dual 2.5 GHz Core i3s to quad 3.4 GHz Core i7s. Regular notebooks will get dual 2.5GHz to 2.7GHz Core i5 and i7 chips in the first batch of processors, and desktop replacements will get quad 2.2GHz through to 2.5GHz Core i7s,"

quad 3.4Ghz i7 is going to be the fastest desktop CPU? what about the 6 core versions..... CPU clockspeeds have been stuck in the 3k's for a long time.... when are we going to see a 5ghz CPU on the Market or is this not possible due to thermal thresholds? (not counting intel turboboost). There are still many apps out there that do not utilise multiprocessing....
  • Reply 20 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by simtub View Post

quad 3.4Ghz i7 is going to be the fastest desktop CPU? what about the 6 core versions..... CPU clockspeeds have been stuck in the 3k's for a long time.... when are we going to see a 5ghz CPU on the Market or is this not possible due to thermal thresholds? (not counting intel turboboost). There are still many apps out there that do not utilise multiprocessing....

5ghz... did u miss 4? anyways, look to the line after this, with a 22nm process for that speed.

i did find someone who managed to hit over5ghz with air cooling on an i7 though, huge ass fans.