The Beatles catalog comes to Apple's iTunes

Comments

• Reply 221 of 377
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

OK, and that's obviously fine.

But wouldn't you admit that the iTMS has been at least "minimally" successful? So, obviously, a lot of people feel differently.

That's funny, because in my earlier comment that you quoted here, I said just that (well more actually).
  • Reply 222 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

With headphones on, I can't tell the difference. In my car with an Infinity sound system, I can completely tell the difference.

I asked if you've ever blind tested yourself. That is, listened to a mix of tracks and picked out which were CD and which were 256 kbps AAC. The human brain can easily "hear" differences that aren't really there if they know there is a difference. It's the audio version of the placebo effect. I've seen lots of studio engineers try and fail this test on audio equipment that makes your car's Infinity sound system look like a transistor radio. I mean no offense to you, but until you pass blind testing, you have no idea if you can hear the difference between 256 kbps AAC and CD.

I know this personally, because it was kind of a sad day when I finally had to admit to myself that despite years of working in various types of pro-audio and studios, even with a home sound system that costs in excess of $100K, I couldn't tell the difference between a mix of FLAC and 320 kbps MP3.
  • Reply 222 of 377
    Quote:

OK, and that's obviously fine.

But wouldn't you admit that the iTMS has been at least "minimally" successful? So, obviously, a lot of people feel differently.

I think he has already said he agrees the iTMS being a success. It's just not his cup of tea. Actually it's very successful. Even though there are people who still "acquire" their music.

I personally buy all my music from iTMS. Except for one collection of music that I started in Europe (even though it's available on iTMS). Plus other rare things that they don't carry.
  • Reply 224 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

"Wasn't their music centered around what was happening in 60's?"

Um, no. Unless you consider things like falling in love, feeling alone, feeling happy, etc "what was happening in the '60s" VERY few of there songs are really "about the 60s"
  • Reply 225 of 377
    The connection has timed out

The server at www.apple.com is taking too long to respond.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few

moments.
  • Reply 226 of 377

John: "iTUNES is more popular than Jesus now...."
  • Reply 227 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FJRabon View Post

Um, no. Unless you consider things like falling in love, feeling alone, feeling happy, etc "what was happening in the '60s" ...

Oh, nobody does that stuff anymore.
  • Reply 228 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Oh, nobody does that stuff anymore.

by the looks of this thread, you may well be right, at least when it comes to "being happy"
  • Reply 229 of 377
    Quote:

I am not into music and music history at all... Wasn't their music centered around what was happening in 60's? How exactly are the Beatles still relevant today? What makes them so special?

It's a fair question. Good art must be specific to its own time to be successful. Great art must transcend the specificity its own time to become universally relevant on some level. That's why great paintings and plays from centuries past retain the power to move people today.

It's probably too early to have the necessary perspective to judge the Beatles "great" at this point, but many clues point in that direction. Time will tell.
  • Reply 229 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FJRabon View Post

...even with a home sound system that costs in excess of $100K, I couldn't tell the difference between a mix of FLAC and 320 kbps MP3.

I don't recall where I heard it, but there was a comment that most people couldn't tell the difference between 320k MP3/AAC files and the actual uncompressed CD file. I'm not sure that I agree or not but for listening to my iPod in my car, 320k sounds good enough for me.
  • Reply 231 of 377
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

That's funny, because in my earlier comment that you quoted here, I said just that (well more actually).

Yes you did. Sorry -- got lost in the conversation.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bkerkay View Post

I think he has already said he agrees the iTMS being a success. It's just not his cup of tea. Actually it's very successful. Even though there are people who still "acquire" their music.

I personally buy all my music from iTMS. Except for one collection of music that I started in Europe (even though it's available on iTMS). Plus other rare things that they don't carry.

I buy everything -- mostly -- from iTMS. It's just easier, and I get some urge to buy some new album buy whomever at 3am, and in a couple of minutes, I have it. There's some opera and other things that I still buy in CD form.

But I am seriously considering getting this complete Beatles set from iTMS.
  • Reply 232 of 377
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

What's the big deal? You could always walk into Best Buy, Wal-mart, etc, and get all the Beatles albums you want and then rip them right into iTunes.

Seriously, I just don't get it. Now I could understand if you couldn't get Beatles music anywhere else...

Nerds will remain nerds...
  • Reply 233 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edmalloy View Post

So no the band that nearly destroyed rock 'n roll is available on iTunes.

What a waste of time.

Quote:

Wasn't their music centered around what was happening in 60's? How exactly are the Beatles still relevant today? What makes them so special?

Actually, rock in the early '60's was dying out -- with Chuck Berry in jail, Elvis in the Army and Jerry Lee Lewis in scandal -- and the Beatles completely revitalized it. Over an eight year period they were pioneers in...

- Performers writing their own songs

- Songs with more than three chords

- Songs more than three minutes long

- Multi-track recording

- "Studio only" projects

- Independent record labels

...without which it's hard to imagine rock and roll existing today.

I'd say other elements like the use of psychedelic drugs and the introduction of Eastern themes and instrumentation were essential to '60's culture but less so today.
  • Reply 234 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I can't really understand why anyone thinks Apple "over-hyped" this. As others have pointed out, given the nature of the announcement, the place of the Beatles in modern music history, the long delay in their music being available for download, etc, etc, it seems just about the right amount of "hype" to me: an attention getting website teaser, followed, in about 24 hours by an announcement, but no "event".

I can only think that people are somehow conflating Apple's actual publicity with the blogosphere hysteria that ensued from it. (And, yes, I think criticism of them saying you'd never forget it is a bit of an overreaction.)

However, are you saying that Apple should be surprised by fact that people ran with this? Apple has spent years creating a situation where people are desperate for information so that they (Apple) can capitalize on the free promotion. You can't then give them a pass and say it was the rest of the world's fault. This is why our justice system has standards like "reasonable expectation." No, Apple didn't do most of the hyping, but they certainly released the information with an expectation that it would create a flurry of interest, mainly because their secrecy has created and environment of information deficiency. Unfortunately, it backfired on them this time. Sorry, I'm not giving Apple a pass on this.
  • Reply 235 of 377
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Can't speak for anyone else, but I'll definitely be buying a ton of Beatles stuff to fill out my collection. I have zero interest in buying more CDs these days.

As is evidenced by the continual yearly decline in CD sales, you aren't the only one.

Right now, we have still a choice, i.e., CD's or iTunes. However, our children won't.
  • Reply 236 of 377
    Quote:

Yes you did. Sorry -- got lost in the conversation.

Don't sweat it. It's all good.

Quote:

I buy everything -- mostly -- from iTMS. It's just easier, and I get some urge to buy some new album buy whomever at 3am, and in a couple of minutes, I have it. There's some opera and other things that I still buy in CD form.

But I am seriously considering getting this complete Beatles set from iTMS.

You know, I would love to buy all my music from the iTMS, I just wish they would step up one more level in bit rate. Perhaps when iDevices have a bit more memory, they'll switch to 320k. The only thing that concerns me, like when they switched to 256k, is that they'll charge us again to "upgrade" to the higher quality.
  • Reply 237 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nunyabinez View Post

However, are you saying that Apple should be surprised by fact that people ran with this? Apple has spent years creating a situation where people are desperate for information so that they (Apple) can capitalize on the free promotion. You can't then give them a pass and say it was the rest of the world's fault. This is why our justice system has standards like "reasonable expectation." No, Apple didn't do most of the hyping, but they certainly released the information with an expectation that it would create a flurry of interest, mainly because their secrecy has created and environment of information deficiency. Unfortunately, it backfired on them this time. Sorry, I'm not giving Apple a pass on this.

I don't see how it backfired. Or why you are so bitter.
  • Reply 238 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BC Kelly View Post

Are 2 kinds of People on Earth

Bubble Butts and Needle Butts

• Reply 239 of 377
    radarradar Posts: 271member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guppy737 View Post

John: "iTUNES is more popular than Jesus now...."

Make that, Jobs:iTunes more popular than the Beatles now!
  • Reply 240 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Ii got the first comment in on St. Pepper on the UK store. Said it was cr*p.

How mature!

This is important for iTunes as it is the only place to buy digital downloads of the music.

Also they are still big sellers, accounting for 10% of EMI's sales in the USA last year.