Apple approves official Google Voice application for iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The official Google Voice application was finally accepted into the App Store by Apple on Tuesday, bringing to the iPhone an application that was previously rejected and resulted in an inquiry from the U.S. Federal Communications Commission.

The Google Voice App is a free download available in the App Store, and works for any users of the Google Voice telephony service. Features of the application advertised by Google include:

Cheap rates for international calls

Free text messaging to U.S. numbers

Voicemail transcription

Display your Google Voice number as caller ID when making calls

The software also offers a number of features that can only be accomplished with a native iPhone application. Previously, Google had offered a mobile Voice service through a website.

The native app will alert users when they receive a new voicemail or text message with push notifications. In addition, most calls will be placed via Direct Access Numbers, making them connect just as quickly as regular phone calls.

Google Voice for iPhone requires iOS 3.1 or later and a valid Google Voice account to use the App. It is currently available in the U.S. only.

Reports that Apple would change its stance on the Google Voice application first surfaced in September, after Apple revised and published its own App Store Review Guidelines. Applications that accessed the Google Voice service were pulled in 2009, after Google submitted its own official application.

Apple refused to accept the official Google Voice app into the App Store, which prompted an investigation from the U.S. Federal Communications Commission. Apple told the FCC that it was reviewing the software, but contended it did not outright reject it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    I do not see Google Voice application in app store. What gives?
  • Reply 2 of 39
    Can't see Apple, ever porting ITunes to Android
  • Reply 3 of 39
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gauravchak View Post

Can't see Apple, ever porting ITunes to Android

They would be stupid not too (same hold true for Windows 7 Mobile and RIM)...
  • Reply 4 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IsmOfAm View Post

It's there. Just downloaded it.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    Unfortunately, it?s not compatible with an iPod Touch, so you can?t use an iPod Touch as an auto-dialer. That would be handy.

iTune Preview of Google Voice app here.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    Quote:

Search for it as one word "googlevoice" from your iPhone.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Apple sells a lot of music with iTunes but it is by no means a big profit generator. Apple makes their profit by using iTunes to sell iPods & iPhones. This makes it unlikely that Apple will bring iTunes to competing mobile platforms.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    Now all it needs is to add Gmail Call Phones feature (read as SIP VoIP):

http://www.google.com/chat/video

and add Google voice and video chat!

http://www.google.com/chat/video

• Reply 9 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post

Unfortunately, it?s not compatible with an iPod Touch, so you can?t use an iPod Touch as an auto-dialer. That would be handy.

That really sucks. It would be nice to get SMS pushed to my iPod touch...

I waited so long for it to get here, and now it is and i can't even use it!!! Why doesn't it support the iPod touch???

curse you google!!!
  • Reply 10 of 39
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gauravchak View Post

Can't see Apple, ever porting ITunes to a non-Apple device

There... fixed that for you.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    So it is a day to remember after all.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

They would be stupid to do so. The iTunes ecosystem is a huge competitive advantage for Apple, and it would make no sense to support platforms other than iOS.

In contrast to GV, which is a huge data collection opportunity for Google, so they want it on as many platforms as possible.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/googl...318698524?mt=8

But it's only compatible with iPhones, for now.

But it does make sense to be able to use Google Voice on an iPod touch/iPad because some people use Skype and/or Gizmo5 which, when used with an iPod touch/iPad, would allow calls to be made very inexpensively or for free.

Skype calls on an iPod touch/iPad with Google Voice would be great. Gizmo5 calls on an iPod touch/iPad need the Google Voice app to work on them.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    That would be handy on the iPad to make a quick confrence calls..... But I doubt that Apple would ever allow that....
  • Reply 15 of 39
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    This makes up for the lame Beatles announcement
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Quote:

That would be handy on the iPad to make a quick confrence calls..... But I doubt that Apple would ever allow that...

If there is a market for it, don't quite see why not. It does improve the case for a cheap phone plus iPad rather than the fanboy (a la me) approach to a iPhone, iPad, iMac, and an iPodNano just to round things out on the desk. (It's a good thing I have made good money with the stock...)
  • Reply 17 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

If there is a market for it, don't quite see why not. ...

There's a market for netbooks (or was) but Apple hasn't shown any interest in that. I don't think the mere existence of a "market" really means much in Cupertino. Or the non-existence, either.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    As the app store has gotten bigger, it's getting harder to find the apps you want in the store.

This app is a perfect example of this. I searched for:
    • "Google Voice" - No Google Voice application appears

• "Google" - No Google Voice application appears

• "Google Voice App" - BINGO!

It shouldn't be that difficult!

Apple's App Store's success is becoming it's own enemy. The more apps get loaded, the harder it is to find what you are looking for. Developers now need additional marketing to make their app stand out and to help people locate their app in the app store.

Apple needs to change the way they organize apps so it's easier to find what you are looking for. I don't have the solution but I'm sure Apple can find a way. There should be a way to set filters in the app store so you don't have to look at search results containing "fart apps" or party amusement apps like body scanner or iBeer.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    You can't make calls with Google Voice using VOIP so I imagine that is why they made it iPhone only. Still dumb to limit the devices as I use GV Mobile + for my Google Voice needs since it is great for texting on an iPod Touch or iPad without having to have a real phone.

The Push Notifications are the best thing about the Official Google App. Beyond that, it is basic, has few options, and after all this fuss and long wait, underwhelming. GV Mobile + is still king. If not just for the default area code option alone.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amerist View Post

Apple needs to change the way they organize apps so it's easier to find what you are looking for. I don't have the solution but I'm sure Apple can find a way.

I think it's pretty easy, actually. The app store needs a way to quickly filter and sort apps. In iTunes, I can sort by date added, date modified, genre, rating, etc etc etc. Why can't I do that in the app store too?

The app store desperately needs an overhauled ratings system as well as a ratings-dispute system. In other words, there needs to be a way to get bogus ratings off the system. Take the new Google Voice app, for example. There are a ton of people giving the app 1 star ratings because they can't use it on an iPod. In other words, they're not rating the app (obviously, since they can't use it!). Instead, they're giving a bad rating to complain about not being able to use an IPHONE app on a device that isn't an iPhone. Well sheesh! I'm pissed that I can't IM people with my toaster, but that doesn't mean my toaster doesn't make great toast. (Mmmmm... and toasted bagels).