Apple obtained exclusive rights to Beatles over Google, Amazon

Comments

• Reply 61 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mugzy View Post

I think most of you are missing the most important point. Have you forgotten the long-standing feud between Apple and Apple Corps? It would appear to be over.

(unless there are still on-going lawsuits? I don't know...)

Even if Apple agreed to give 100% of the take to Apple Corps this still represents a milestone in Apple's history and not just because they got the exclusive rights for a year.

Just imagine that Google out bit Apple on the exclusivity right of the Beatles music. I would like to see the forum response.

I think this is a big deal for Apple and the music fans. Also the music industry should be happy about this.

I looked at old forums during the time that Apple introduced the iPod. 95% of the people said that Apple made a very stupid move.
  • Reply 62 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

What big deal? One image on a web site, that was it, you are over reacting to that?

Perhaps you need to get a grip on reality!

One image on a website??!! Get a grip, Wonder! It's obvious from a great number of the posts on AI that this was built up for weeks with full page ads in every major paper, 3 minute spots every hour on every major network for the past month and 10,000 billboard ads across the US...

I'll never trust Apple again...
  • Reply 63 of 117
    Always fun to see the latest set of teenagers declare that The Beatles are irrelevant. I'm sure I did at some point, too. I'm jealous that you've still got them to look forward to.

Did anyone else find it interesting that the top Beatles song for the last day or so has been 'Here Comes the Sun'? ... which is a Harrison composition. The top song on iTunes is probably be as objective a measure as is possible of the most popular song - I'm sure Harrison would have got a kick out of it.
  • Reply 64 of 117
    Steve's just showing some old farts how to move into the modern digital age. Props to SJ and good music too.
  • Reply 65 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bill-G View Post

<yawn> So Apple paid more for the catalog, and got a few months of exclusive.

This is new to me. I wasn't aware Apple paid for anything. I thought they just offered the store to others - taking a 30% cut. So did Apple pay some up front fee to have the privilege of selling the Beatles music? Or did they change the cut amount? It definitely opens a precedence for other bands.
  • Reply 66 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by barton springs View Post

The news that Apple has brought The Beatles to iTunes is great news but people on this forum have seen fit to trash Steve and Apple for it. Apple is the coolest computer company in the world and it's only fitting that now Apple is the *exclusive seller* of the coolest band's (of all time!) digital music on iTunes.

I have to think that you are all Apple fans or else you wouldn't care enough to be on this forum and this latest news is a great thing for Apple and very very cool. At the very least try to appreciate the coolness of this move by Steve to be cutting edge and be the first to get rights to The Beatles music over all the others like Google and Amazon.

Have a beautiful day

Rick in Austin

The trashing of Apple isn't just because they now sell Beatles tunes - or whether that's a big deal or not. It's the fact that Apple loudly proclaimed that it was a big deal. That it was a day you'd remember forever. That was a little bit over the top.
  • Reply 67 of 117
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vincentagniello View Post

Anyway, I don't think this is such a big deal, and it's kind of sad to me that Apple made such a big deal like this would change people's lives. You could easily download illegal mp3s of ripped cds before. I think the remastering sounds pretty good though, and I'm glad they have reformatted the tracks subtly to work better in digital formats.

Fortunately, most of the world is more honest than you. What you're proposing is a crime.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandor View Post

but the CD complete set is still cheaper than the digital complete set....

http://www.amazon.com/Beatles-Stereo.../dp/B002BSHWUU

I'm glad that Apple was able to get the music in iTunes - causing Amazon to drop the price significantly. I would never have paid the old list price (over $250), but might consider buying it at $129.

However, I think the iTunes version has some minor stuff that isn't on the Amazon box set. Still, I would probably choose the box set - but can understand why others would choose the digital.
  • Reply 68 of 117
    AAPL is building products for the masses, not the ironic, meh-full elites. The masses are still buying tons of Beatles albums. This will make money for them, and prevent GOOG and MSFT and AMZN from making money and scoring a PR coup. Well done, Mr. Jobs. End of story.

(SET WHITEALBUM=ON)
  • Reply 69 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

While I appreciate how legendary this band and its set of people and their musical work has been over the decades, old music is old music, meh.

Yeah, Mozart is a has-been. Why even bother to sell his or the Beatles music?

Justin Bieber Forever!
  • Reply 70 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

The trashing of Apple isn't just because they now sell Beatles tunes - or whether that's a big deal or not. It's the fact that Apple loudly proclaimed that it was a big deal. That it was a day you'd remember forever. That was a little bit over the top.

... not everyone in the world has apple.com as their home page...
  • Reply 71 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Justin Bieber Forever!

Sorry to show my ignorance, but what exactly is Justin Bieber?
  • Reply 71 of 117
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

One image on a website??!! Get a grip, Wonder! It's obvious from a great number of the posts on AI that this was built up for weeks with full page ads in every major paper, 3 minute spots every hour on every major network for the past month and 10,000 billboard ads across the US...

I'll never trust Apple again...

You are kidding, right?
  • Reply 73 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Justin Bieber Forever!

Someone tried to fool me the other day by saying that Beethoven was a great composer. He must have thought I was an idiot. Everyone knows that Beethoven is a dog! Sheesh...
  • Reply 74 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

You are kidding, right?

I sure as hell hope so...

(it's a slow day and it's raining)
  • Reply 75 of 117
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

I sure as hell hope so...

(it's a slow day and it's raining)

Phew... and yeh, it is and it is.

Time for another long double strength latte.
  • Reply 76 of 117
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

Living is easy with eyes closed

Misunderstanding all you see

It´s getting hard to be someone

But it all works out

It doesn't matter much to me

Beautiful quote, however the haters will argue that the sentiment only applied in the 60's.
  • Reply 77 of 117
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

While I appreciate how legendary this band and its set of people and their musical work has been over the decades, old music is old music, meh.

A thousand years from now, if humankind hasn't killed itself off, the works of J.S.Bach, Mozart, and Beethoven will still be performed daily around the world. Not so much the Beatles or the Rollings Stones, or any contemporary popular music.
  • Reply 78 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

"

People here just don't seem to understand. This negativity towards this announcement isn't so much that many folks are ambivalent towards the Beatles' music, but that they are angered that Apple made such a big deal about the announcement. Many of us feel Jobs should be using the time and money towards more important issues related to Apple.

Judging by the sales (15 of the top 35 albums, and dozens of the top singles), it appears to have been a good business decision.

But more to your point, do you really think that all other work at Apple stopped while they were doing this? I don't think the people setting up and packaging the Beatles deal were pulled away from those other things on your wish list. Nor do I think Apple will no longer have enough money to do other important stuff. No, you *are* just ambivalent towards the Beatles, and you can't just let it be (so to speak).
  • Reply 79 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

A thousand years from now, if humankind hasn't killed itself off, the works of J.S.Bach, Mozart, and Beethoven will still be performed daily around the world. Not so much the Beatles or the Rollings Stones, or any contemporary popular music.

Do you want to bet on that?
  • Reply 80 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Its not just about sales, nor about SJ's likes. In terms of 'popular music' the Beatles are iconic, revolutionary, pioneering, yet main stream. There's a certain symmetry there.

Does steve play Yoko?