Any DRIVERS out there?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by JRC:

Not really sure what you're talking about. Buy my 4-cylinder, Dodge Caravan that cost NEW $14,000 on the lowest-speed-rated rubber money can buy, has done over 115 mph.

Almost daily I drive over 100 mph with my VALENTINE ONE protecting my assets.

<hr></blockquote>

I think the lowest speed rating for tires these days is 115 mph. The issue with tires is heat. At some point, they get too hot and go BOOM. That's pretty fast for a four-banger with a large frontal area, but plausible. Minivans do about 100 mph in Germany.

I've been using Valentine One since 1994 (well, except in Germany). Like the old AMEX commercials used to say, don't leave home without it.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    If you belong to the BMW Car Club of America (no BMW required) and have lots of money, you can sign up for their Nürburgring Driving school. They hold this in conjunction with BMW clubs in Europe. The cost is usually around $900, depending on the exchange rate, plus hotel, food, and a BMW rental (you have to drive something related to a BMW in the school). The school is generally held in June, and the signup is in March. All 60-80 spots are usually spoken for within an hour after they start taking names.

The Nürburgring is a scenic "toll" road in the Eiffel Mountains in Germany. There are actually two tracks there. The current race track was built in 1984 and is where they run Formula One races. It is about 2.5 miles long. The other ("legendary") one, called the old North Loop (Nordschleife) was built in 1927, and is about 13 miles long. The driving school is held in the old north loop. (The longest track I know of in the States is Road America near Milwaukee, and is about 4.5 miles long.)

Because the track is so long with so many curves, they break it down into about 10 sections for the school. The school lasts for 2.5 days. If you're a motorcyclist, you can also run in the same school. There's usually two classes for motorcycles.

When no one is racing or testing on the track, regular Joes (or Klauses, as the case may be), can drive on the track for about $10 per lap. Pretty much anyone with a street legal vehicle can go on the track, so you'll see Ferraris and Porsches, as well as tour buses and crotch-rocket motorcycles on the same time. That's what makes this place so dangerous. That and testosterone.

I've only gone there once without seeing an accident, and that was because it was pouring rain right before it closed. I heard from a fireman cleaning up an accident that they have roughly 60 fatalities there per year, although this number has been refuted. That's more than one a week! And statistically it's usually on a Saturday, and it's usually a motorcyclist.

Some people may feel like, "How idiotic-- why would anyone drive there?!" Sorry for wasting your time. For someone with some track experience, or has even autocrossed, you owe it to yourself to drive here once. It'll give you an appreciation how dangerous (and stupid) racing can be. Unbelievably, this was used as a Formula One track up until 1976. I can't imagine somebody driving that fast on this course.

There are lots of enthusiast sites out there on the 'Ring, mostly from Europeans, and usually with spectacular crashes. This one has QT videos of the track, so you can see it for yourself: <a href="http://www.emansworld.com/ring.html"; target="_blank">Enthusiast Site.</a>

Their website is: <a href="http://www.nuerburgring.de/"; target="_blank">www.nuerburgring.de</a>

Amazingly enough, this road is open to the general public in a country that has lawyers.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    yurin8oryurin8or Posts: 120member
    928's are a classic design. 944's were noware near as elegent.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by GardenOfEarthlyDelights:

How sad.
  • Reply 25 of 30

[QB]No, this isn't about:

- VW commercials

I agree with Psychobabble. How very, very, very sad.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by yurin8or:

928's are a classic design. 944's were noware near as elegent.<hr></blockquote>

Probably.

The 928 was my first love; however, I bought the 944 to drive on the track. It's a matter of goals.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by Psychobabble:

How sad.<hr></blockquote>

Indeed.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by Doctor von Evil:

I agree with Psychobabble. How very, very, very sad.<hr></blockquote>

Most likely. So is posting on bulletin boards dedicated to computers, but that hasn't stopped me yet.

I'm sure everybody else has more erudite hobbies out there. I'll try not to dirty their threads with my pedantic comments.

Thanks for setting me straight.
  • Reply 29 of 30

[QB]

ITS OK GardenOfEarthlyDelights me and Doctor von Evil have had a conversation, mainly about my medication for the week, but also about you. We have decided you shall escape our wrath, keep up the good work!
  • Reply 30 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by Psychobabble:

ITS OK GardenOfEarthlyDelights me and Doctor von Evil have had a conversation, mainly about my medication for the week, but also about you. We have decided you shall escape our wrath, keep up the good work!<hr></blockquote>

Wheww! I escaped your wrath! Now I can sit back, relax and laugh.

But as I read your posts it got me to thinking (and this is before I got started to drinking), so though I know this is a stretch to claim-- I believe you and Dr. Evil are one and the same! Let?s look at the facts and we?ll shortly see, that being dropped on my head hasn?t affected me.

First of all Psycho and the Evil One, are both from the place that?s banished the sun (I?ve been to England on some business trips, and in between the meals of fish and chips, I?ve yet to see the sun at all during the day, when the color of light is apparently a dingy, slate grey).

And please excuse me for being verbose, but has any one noticed that their post counts are close? So now I know what gives Denmark its odor -- Psycho has multiple personality disorder!

It?s true! It?s true! I?ve seen it before! I once watched ?Sybil? on Channel 4. That was the movie where Sally Fields as Sybil, housed sixteen personalities, some of which were evil (yet another reference to the nefarious Doc! My credibility?s as good as WorldCom stock!)

Dissociative identity disorder can certainly be cured-- if given proper treatment, I?ve been assured. It?s not too late, if sanity is for what you strive. All you need is a car, and go for a drive.