Carbon fiber could be Apple's key to a lighter next-gen iPad

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It veered way off course, was lost in the Bermuda Triangle, potentially probed by aliens, but it looks like we?re back.

• Reply 122 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

So it appears Lockheed Martin will be making the next iPad then? Holy crap WTF happened to this thread...

No, but it's going to fly!
  • Reply 123 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

I like carbon fiber. I don't see the batteries as being a surmountable problem. They are already based on lithium, the lightest metal.

Speaking of which, I wonder why Apple don't look at applying the unibody idea to magnesium instead of Aluminium. There is a glut at the moment and it's cheap. It's Lighter than Al and stiff. I know it is reactive as all hell, but maybe they could coat it with Titanium nitride or some other surface treatment to get round the problem.

Actually, Magnesium is only reactive in powders or foil. I know ! Amazing.

I was stunned too, when an expert told me about a solid magnesium ashtray he'd seen.

Apple used to use Magnesium in their case frames for the iBook line.
  • Reply 124 of 127
    Bring back Titanium. They did 1" thick almost 10 years ago.

Best design of any Apple laptop, prior to the unibodies. I still regret selling mine.
  • Reply 125 of 127
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

As I stated earlier, one of the few requirements was to do vertical landing -AND- supersonic speeds. Boeing only achieved it by, well, fudging the rules or whatever you wish to call it, but Lockheed found a considerably more desirable design. I don?t see how aesthetics played a part in that.

Actually the performance targets didn't say it had to do both in the same flight. Just that the the design needed to do both. Same language was used as the carrier variant, where the USAF variant didn't need to be able to make carrier landings or do SVTOL

The issues were made large to support the Fighter Mafia's choice. Go ahead and think what you want, you never served with nor quaffed bad beer with any of those guys or anyone else ever associated with DoD aircraft procurement.
  • Reply 126 of 127
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jkirk3279 View Post

Actually, Magnesium is only reactive in powders or foil. I know ! Amazing.

I was stunned too, when an expert told me about a solid magnesium ashtray he'd seen.

Apple used to use Magnesium in their case frames for the iBook line.

That was just because the ashtray would never get hot enough to vaporize any of the magnesium just due to cigarettes. It will burn like he'll if you unfortunately get it hot enough to go just past melting. Ususally not a problem until you have something like an aircraft mishap and burning jet fuel.
  • Reply 127 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

That was just because the ashtray would never get hot enough to vaporize any of the magnesium just due to cigarettes. It will burn like he'll if you unfortunately get it hot enough to go just past melting. Ususally not a problem until you have something like an aircraft mishap and burning jet fuel.

True story. When I was a kid we raced slot cars, which were made with magnesium frames. The wrecked car frames were burned up. Took a blowtorch to get them started, but what a flame they made.