Apple's iPad 2 suppliers to ramp up in Q1 2011 - rumor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 74
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

You may want to hold that purchase till the iPad 2 comes out.

This is a very good suggestion for anybody budgetting their cash for an iPad. I just have this feeling that the upgrade will be rather impressive.
  • Reply 22 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buckeye in Fla View Post

That rear camera has many uses for inventory, archiving, bar code scanning, identification comparisons (security)...

Ad augmented reality to that list. AR is gonna be HUGE on the next iPad.
  • Reply 23 of 74
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,561member
    Makes complete sense. Most of the so called "serious" competition for the iPad is due out Q1 2011, just as they are getting released Apple will announce the iPad 2 making them obsolete overnight and pushing them out of the news..... very smart!
  • Reply 24 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

I agree, but I do think Apple will include a rear camera primarily for Facetime, and it will probably record 720p.

We all decided that Apple left off the rear-facing camera from the iPad in order to make it a better and stronger product. We decided that nobody wants to hold up a big tablet to take a photo, because they would look like a dork.
  • Reply 25 of 74
    Quote:

Apple will put a rear facing camera on the iPad 2 but not for reasons most people think. Apple wants to get the iPad entrenched into enterprise as a multi-use device for companies looking for adaptable solutions. That rear camera has many uses for inventory, archiving, bar code scanning, identification comparisons (security), and who knows what some programmer will come up with. My bet is that it won't be long until the credit card readers for the iPhone and iPod touch start appearing for the iPad also. This is why Steve Jobs publicly criticized the 7" form factor tabs such as RIM's. He doesn't want those thought of as the "business tablets." This is Apple's chance to finally gain a beach head in enterprise and my guess is that Apple is going to throw the kitchen sink at it.

Brian

All this was predicted for the original iPad, and it never happened because Apple decided that the iPad was better without a camera.
  • Reply 26 of 74
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Just talked to my brother last night and he mentioned he was waiting for the "new" iPad to come out before he got one. My brother has never been aware of Mac product cycles. His family has just converted over to the Mac side in the last 4 years and it has never occurred to him that he has been buying MacBooks and iPod Touches just weeks before updates.

This tells me that there is a lot of buzz, even within non-techy circles...

I think the iPhone has made folks aware there's a regular update pattern...
  • Reply 27 of 74
    The RSS feed to this story takes me here

http://www.pheedo.com/
  • Reply 28 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Just as I am thinking about buying one in the next week! lol

You still should.

This isn't exactly shocking. iPad will likely follow the same pattern as every other iOS device and get yearly updates. The question is whether or not iOS will get updated when the new iPad is released or the new iPhone is released. Waiting for iOS 4.2 this year for iPad has been a real drag.
  • Reply 29 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

So what version of iOS will it have? Considering 4.2 is coming out in November I cannot imagine on the software side it will be much of an advancement.

Believe me there is already a build of iOS floating around Apple HQ supporting the new features in iPad 2. Many of the expected new features are already supported on iPhone 4, so at best they would need to tweak drivers. The last thing Apple would want to have to do is create device specific apps, especially after going to the trouble of merging the iPhone and iPad branches. If the new iPad 2 does need new software features, iOS will simply be updated for all devices.

By the way there is a good possibility that iPad Two will have new software features not supported on old hardware. OpenCL is a very good possibility for example. On old hardware developers would have to run default CPU code. The same basic concept applies for support of any new hardware.

Someone else commented about Apple doing the hardware right. I lean to hoping that is the case, that is they take their development teams and put themselves a step ahead of the new A9 based machines. I'm not absolutely sure which is the best path to take, a dual core A9 derived chip at 1.5 GHz or a quad core A9 running at 750 MHz.

Some might respond in horror at a lower clock rate but A9 is far more efficient plus Apple has patented alot of interesting CPU technology that might speed up code even more. The concept is interest though, if Apple can get better performance out of a lower clocked core then they can consider jumping right past the dual core crowd.

Of course that is just the CPU, there is much that can be done with the rest of the SoC, including a beefier GPU, fast ports such as SATA and other specialized hardware. IPad would be most interesting if it supported the new Blade SSDs. 256GB in an iPad would be so sweet.
  • Reply 30 of 74
    Quote:

Apple will put a rear facing camera on the iPad 2 but not for reasons most people think. Apple wants to get the iPad entrenched into enterprise as a multi-use device for companies looking for adaptable solutions. That rear camera has many uses for inventory, archiving, bar code scanning, identification comparisons (security), and who knows what some programmer will come up with. My bet is that it won't be long until the credit card readers for the iPhone and iPod touch start appearing for the iPad also. This is why Steve Jobs publicly criticized the 7" form factor tabs such as RIM's. He doesn't want those thought of as the "business tablets." This is Apple's chance to finally gain a beach head in enterprise and my guess is that Apple is going to throw the kitchen sink at it.

Brian

I agree!

An iPad with a rear-facing * camera won't replace a iPhone or point-and-shoot camera. But there are lots of uses for business, medical, creatives, etc.

Think of real estate or insurance appraisers, interior designers, augmented reality navigation (mall, theme park, museum).

As a personal/business use the rear-facing * camera could be used in lieu of an optical scanner to capture full-page documents (and provide OCR translation).

* rear-facing -- what an unusual mental image is conjured up by that phrase

• Reply 31 of 74
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

I just can't see them adding a rear camera on the iPad2. It seems so out of place. Sure, it'll be easy to do it, and maybe makes sense for FaceTime, to have dual cameras... But very odd to have an additional rear camera on a big tablet.

I hope reduced weight is the primary goal here.

This is just a thought but I wonder if there is a way to utilize the same camera to be either front or back. There are few times one would need both. It would be possible using some kind of controllable prism I would think. (I resisted any serious reference to smoke and mirrors )
  • Reply 32 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samurai1999 View Post

They should do a 7" iPad though

- I think they will once they see how cool all the other 7" devices are....!

I actually think Steve was just being an a$$ or a business owner in trying to discredit what has the potential of being very stiff competition. What people don't realize is that we actually see entirely different usage patterns between iPad and this lusted for device size. Much in the same way that Touch is used completely differently than an iPad.

I'm hoping Steve is just playing with their minds while new hardware is in the oven. He certainly has done such things before.
  • Reply 33 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I agree!

An iPad with a rear-facing * camera won't replace a iPhone or point-and-shoot camera. But there are lots of uses for business, medical, creatives, etc.

Think of real estate or insurance appraisers, interior designers, augmented reality navigation (mall, theme park, museum).

As a personal/business use the rear-facing * camera could be used in lieu of an optical scanner to capture full-page documents (and provide OCR translation).

* rear-facing -- what an unusual mental image is conjured up by that phrase

All of this was said, over and over, about the original iPad. Fact is, Apple decided that the product was better without any cameras.

The clear consensus around here is that a front-facing camera would give a view up the sender's nose, and a rear facing camera is impractical on a big device like an iPad.

Apple chose to make the iPad without cameras for VERY good reasons.
  • Reply 34 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

So what version of iOS will it have? Considering 4.2 is coming out in November I cannot imagine on the software side it will be much of an advancement.

Interesting question!

I would guess it will be iOS 5 -- and be used on the iPhone a few months later.

I suspect that it will use a new A5 CPU and a GPU with OpenCL capabilities -- with performance exceeding many of today's laptops.

A 7" iPad will be offered if/when the demand warrants it.

• Reply 35 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bill-G View Post

All of this was said, over and over, about the original iPad. Fact is, Apple decided that the product was better without the camera.

That was a decision made a year ago -- for whatever reasons.

This is now!

We, and Apple, have ~= 9 months of experience under our belts.

Haven't you ever heard: "new and improved"; "we waited until we could do it right"; "we listened to our users and...".

Things change -- we adapt or die!

• Reply 36 of 74
    Carbon-fiber outer shell?
  • Reply 37 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bill-G View Post

We all decided that Apple left off the rear-facing camera from the iPad in order to make it a better and stronger product. We decided that nobody wants to hold up a big tablet to take a photo, because they would look like a dork.

Who's this "we"?

Steve decides -- we abides!

The iPad was designed with space for at least 1 camera

BTW, you can take a picture with a camera without holding it up with your hands -- tripod, stand, mounting, etc.

How do you conjugate the verb dork?

• Reply 38 of 74
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:

Brian

Apple is going to have to throw a HUGE kitchen sink because the Android camp is going full steam ahead in the enterprise world. Samsung is leading the charge as of right now. I have a buddy who works for them and he says Samsung is in negotiations with quite a lot of enterprise companies and even universities about it. Of course he refuses to name who they are. Understandable.
  • Reply 39 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Believe me there is already a build of iOS floating around Apple HQ supporting the new features in iPad 2. Many of the expected new features are already supported on iPhone 4, so at best they would need to tweak drivers. The last thing Apple would want to have to do is create device specific apps, especially after going to the trouble of merging the iPhone and iPad branches. If the new iPad 2 does need new software features, iOS will simply be updated for all devices.

By the way there is a good possibility that iPad Two will have new software features not supported on old hardware. OpenCL is a very good possibility for example. On old hardware developers would have to run default CPU code. The same basic concept applies for support of any new hardware.

Someone else commented about Apple doing the hardware right. I lean to hoping that is the case, that is they take their development teams and put themselves a step ahead of the new A9 based machines. I'm not absolutely sure which is the best path to take, a dual core A9 derived chip at 1.5 GHz or a quad core A9 running at 750 MHz.

Some might respond in horror at a lower clock rate but A9 is far more efficient plus Apple has patented alot of interesting CPU technology that might speed up code even more. The concept is interest though, if Apple can get better performance out of a lower clocked core then they can consider jumping right past the dual core crowd.

Of course that is just the CPU, there is much that can be done with the rest of the SoC, including a beefier GPU, fast ports such as SATA and other specialized hardware. IPad would be most interesting if it supported the new Blade SSDs. 256GB in an iPad would be so sweet.

+++

Wish I'd read ahead to this post before writing mine!

(I am strongly resisting forking this thread into a discussion of iOS A5 Blade Servers)
  • Reply 40 of 74
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Apple is going to have to throw a HUGE kitchen sink because the Android camp is going full steam ahead in the enterprise world. Samsung is leading the charge as of right now. I have a buddy who works for them and he says Samsung is in negotiations with quite a lot of enterprise companies and even universities about it. Of course he refuses to name who they are. Understandable.

IMHO your Buddy is doing an excellent FUD job on you