Apple makes Find My iPhone service free for iOS devices

Comments

• Reply 41 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fumosus View Post

Ok, this is great and all, BUT... I considered the capability of being able to find my lost or misplaced iPhone the tipping point for paying $99 a year. Now that's it's free, the decision to keep paying Apple the $99 is hanging in the balance... Anyone else feel that way?

Yes, I am wondering the same thing.
  • Reply 42 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Well I was able to signup for the find my iPhone feature. I still can't access me.com.

Okay that's what I thought. I have a mobile me account and was going to show a coworker with an iphone how the find your iphone thing works but me.com was down
  • Reply 43 of 88
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

If you buy ten apples at the grocery store, then the grocer gives someone else an apple for free, does that mean that you now have only nine apples?

Poor analogy. How about the grocery store only sold apples with a pack that included oranges, lemons and bananas. Some people were just interested in the apple, so they were 'forced' to buy the entire pack. Now that apples (find my iPhone) is sold separate and free, some people will not be 'forced' to buy the entire pack (MobileMe).
  • Reply 44 of 88
    Great. The odds of me signing back up for MobileMe in January just shrunk considerably.

Apple, where's that rabbit? I think the hat is in North Carolina.

Make with the magic.
  • Reply 45 of 88
    Just got http://me.com/find to work... it correctly lists my iPad and iPhone 3GS however it's "unable" to locate the iPhone.

So maybe Apple will not allow me to see its location without upgrading to a paid account.
  • Reply 46 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O4BlackWRX View Post

Doesn't work for me yet, anyone else have it working?

It probably won't work until the 4.2.1 update. At which time the details on how to set it up could be different.

The information given in the article is NOT new. Or even correct. You always set up Find My Thing using the instructions given. The app wasn't for setting up the service. It was so when you and I are out at the bar and I can't find my phone, which is set up because I have Mobile Me, you could pull out your phone and I could log into the app to find mine. Rather than the previous which was having to find a computer etc.
  • Reply 47 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justfine View Post

For my wife and me the ability to sync our calendars and have a cloud based backup solution is worth the $140 annual charge although we'd certainly appreciate if it were free or considerably cheaper.

You can do this with both Gmail and now Live Mail (Hotmail) for FREE. Both support ActiveSync and both allow calendar sharing/sync....for FREE.

.Mac and MobileMe have always performed poorly. The webmail is so un-godly slow its amazing. Adding insult to injury they make you pay for it?? I was brainwashed for 2 years but never again.

I read this new feature is only for iPhone 4.0 or iPad, no 3G or 3GS. If so then that is a big fat FAIL on Apples part.
  • Reply 48 of 88
    Quote:

If you buy ten apples at the grocery store, then the grocer gives someone else an apple for free, does that mean that you now have only nine apples?

Apple did this because Windows Phone 7 has this feature for free, for all users. You access the feature via your free Live account.
  • Reply 49 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That's the inherient selfishness of a Positional Good. He thinks he's getting less service because it's not as "elitist" as it was before he woke up today. Same mentality with those that complain about their nearly new computers being "obsolete" because a new model dropped.

I had never heard of this concept before. Yes, it seems to apply to this reasoning. Another application might be in the debate over prices and currency exchange rates. Those threads are full of complaints about prices for Apple products going up when in reality they are staying the same.
  • Reply 50 of 88
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I had never heard of this concept before. Yes, it seems to apply to this reasoning. Another application might be in the debate over prices and currency exchange rates. Those threads are full of complaints about prices for Apple products going up when in reality they are staying the same.

Considering the number of conversations we’ve had about economics I’m surprised, but glad I can help teach an old, albeit educated, dog a new trick (read: term).
  • Reply 51 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

Poor analogy. How about the grocery store only sold apples with a pack that included oranges, lemons and bananas. Some people were just interested in the apple, so they were 'forced' to buy the entire pack. Now that apples (find my iPhone) is sold separate and free, some people will not be 'forced' to buy the entire pack (MobileMe).

You haven't improved on the analogy by making it more complex. No matter how convoluted you make it, the product you bought and the price you paid are not affected in the least by someone else getting a part of it for free. Your analogy assumes that the buyer only wanted the now free part from the start, which might even be true for some customers. They are now able to dispense with purchasing the rest and continue to receive only one free part. But that wasn't the complaint. The complaint was that someone purchasing the entire package was now getting less, which is certainly not true.
  • Reply 52 of 88
    Quote:

Considering the number of conversations we?ve had about economics I?m surprised, but glad I can help teach an old, albeit educated, dog a new trick (read: term).

I will try to get over being called an old dog. Better than being called a dead dog, I suppose.
  • Reply 53 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

You can do this with both Gmail and now Live Mail (Hotmail) for FREE. Both support ActiveSync and both allow calendar sharing/sync....for FREE.

.Mac and MobileMe have always performed poorly. The webmail is so un-godly slow its amazing. Adding insult to injury they make you pay for it?? I was brainwashed for 2 years but never again.

I read this new feature is only for iPhone 4.0 or iPad, no 3G or 3GS. If so then that is a big fat FAIL on Apples part.

Apparently with Google/Verizon advertising that feature of finding phones for free, it probably motivated apple to do the same.

Competition is great. But if it is only free for the iphone 4, that would be lame. Expect the usual back lash, with Steve apologizing and making it retro active a la the original iphone price.
  • Reply 54 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fumosus View Post

Ok, this is great and all, BUT... I considered the capability of being able to find my lost or misplaced iPhone the tipping point for paying $99 a year. Now that's it's free, the decision to keep paying Apple the $99 is hanging in the balance... Anyone else feel that way?

I really like iDisk and iWeb's easy sharing features, it's very useful when you send around a lot of big video files like I do. Aperture's instant libraries are also great for sharing lots of photos easily. Then again, I'm not real satisified with iWeb, so when I switch to something else I may then drop Mobile me and find a substitute for iDisk. It's pretty expensive, but it does save time.
  • Reply 55 of 88
    Quote:

You haven't improved on the analogy by making it more complex. No matter how convoluted you make it, the product you bought and the price you paid are not affected in the least by someone else getting a part of it for free. Your analogy assumes that the buyer only wanted the now free part from the start, which might even be true for some customers. They are now able to dispense with purchasing the rest and continue to receive only one free part. But that wasn't the complaint. The complaint was that someone purchasing the entire package was now getting less, which is certainly not true.

The original complaint was that that since the customer can now get more parts of MobileMe that was unique to only MobleMe for free, the $99 price for the rest of the package contents that is not unique and is available for free from others is now not as appealing.
  • Reply 56 of 88
    Quote:

The original complaint was that that since the customer can get more parts of MobileMe that was unique to only MobleMe for free, the $99 price for the rest of the package contents that is not unique and is available for free from others is now not as appealing.

The value proposition hasn't changed at all. If you didn't like the grocer's price for ten apples then you should not have paid it. The fact that you can now get one apple for free does not change the value of what you bought.
  • Reply 57 of 88
    Quote:

The value proposition hasn't changed at all. If you didn't like the grocer's price for ten apples then you should not have paid it. The fact that you can now get one apple for free does not change the value of what you bought.

Sure it does!! The value has changed !! Just like if Apple did the opposite and added more features to MobileMe. Then it would have more value if the price stayed the same.
  • Reply 58 of 88
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Sure it does!! The value has changed !!

Interesting philosophy. So all these grocers giving out samples are just losing money on the sample and potential sale of the item they are giving away?
  • Reply 59 of 88
    Quote:

Interesting philosophy. So all these grocers giving out samples are just losing money on the sample and potential sale of the item they are giving away?

Wrong analogy again. A sample is more on the lines of a trial. Another better analogy would be if a gas station started giving away 5 free gallons to every customer on every visit. Then why should a customer still have to pay full price if he want to fill up his tank.
  • Reply 60 of 88
    Quote:

Wrong analogy again. A sample is more on the lines of a trial. Another better analogy would be if a gas station gave away 5 free gallons to every customer. Then why should a customer still have to pay full price if he want to fill up his tank.

If you bought five gallons of gasoline and the customer behind you gets one free, that doesn't mean that you paid more for your five gallons, or got less than five gallons.