AT&T boasts 20%-60% faster wireless speeds than competitors

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 80
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

Hospitals don't have cell boosters in every hallway. Besides, if the signal was stronger going into a structure, it would penetrate further.

No, I think more lower powered signal towers is the entire strategy on which cell networks are based. Nobody wants to be subjected to high radiation.
  • Reply 62 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2774 View Post

The fact is that if you commute to downtown Chicago from Lincoln Park - a distance of 2-3 miles - you will have 2-4 dead spots where calls cannot be made or calls in progress are dropped. These dead zones are NOT near tall buildings and the iPhone says 'No Service' in the upper left. We have tested this with iPhone 3G & 4Gs.

So until AT&T can deliver basic services to 1995 levels - yes, they will still suck.

Gawd, another "it sucks for me so it sucks for everyone" post.
  • Reply 63 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I wonder if this will shut up all those "AT&T sucks" people out there.

It won't, because speed isn't the issue for most people. It's coverage. And AT&T's coverage is ass.
  • Reply 64 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

Hospitals don't have cell boosters in every hallway. Besides, if the signal was stronger going into a structure, it would penetrate further.

True if the signal were stronger it would penetrate further into buildings. However, it's not feasible to boost the signal strength because the signal outside would bleed into adjacent cells and create interference with nearby towers and mobile users.

3G mostly runs on higher frequency whereby GSM is carried on a lower, much better penetrating MHz. That's why it's common to see 3G to EDGE handover in dense structures. AT&T has been moving more of its 3G to the lower MHz as it phases out EDGE service. Problem is, there is only so much spectrum in existence. Thus, capacity reaches a ceiling rather quickly.
  • Reply 65 of 80
    Must say I switched from Verizon to AT&T for the iPhone 3Gs in 2009 and was quite disappointed with AT&T in my area of South Central PA, (no 3G) and lots of dropped calls. Couldn't wait for Verizon to get the iPhone, but one year later I'm quite pleased with AT&T, incredibly fast 3G service (much faster than Verizon) everywhere in my area and no dropped calls. Just hope AT&T keeps investing heavily in their network over the next few years.
  • Reply 66 of 80
    AT&T is all about mobile service not sellinbg phones. Shouldn't the service be better?? After all this is not new technology. There's no excuse for 'dead spots' and dropped calls in todays world of technology. Why should anyone have to stay near a window to get signal or not be able to go in their basement because of no reception issue???

ATT not getting the message till its to late.
  • Reply 67 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

Before the inevitable AT&T bashing begins...

For the record, I've been quite pleased with the 3G service and coverage in Austin, TX. On iPad or iPhone, it's been reliable and fast.

As a fellow Austinite, I'm going to second this comment--AT&T has been great here, less great in San Francisco. For AT&T was earlier a case of a good thing not always being to good, at least initially. If everyone with an iPhone would just quit downloading video, etc....so I can download mine, I'd appreciate it.
  • Reply 68 of 80
    Where does AT&T pull this stuff from? My friend's Nexus One, which isn't even HSPA+ compatible, pulls 6mbps in Austin. My Evo pulls around 4-5mbps. Verizon may be the only network that they best in flat-out download speeds... seeing that you actually get a usable signal with AT&T at the time.

Lies.
  • Reply 69 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdhouse4 View Post

As a fellow Austinite, I'm going to second this comment--AT&T has been great here, less great in San Francisco. For AT&T was earlier a case of a good thing not always being to good, at least initially. If everyone with an iPhone would just quit downloading video, etc....so I can download mine, I'd appreciate it.

I am guessing you live in central or North Austin? I live in South Austin and couldn't complete a call to save my life. My data connection was horrible and often simply wouldn't connect. Granted, San Francisco was worse, but I would give Austin 2nd place in the worst cities I've used my phone, with San Antonio being the best.

I no longer have an iPhone, because I couldn't handle the dropped data/calls. My friends with iPhone 4's all complain about the horrible coverage.

I now have an Evo on Sprint, and it's like night and day. I always have data. Always. It's 3G or 4G. I always complete calls. Always. I'm thinking people don't know how bad they have it until they have a carrier that's worthwhile to show them.
  • Reply 70 of 80
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

It won't, because speed isn't the issue for most people. It's coverage. And AT&T's coverage is ass.

I agree with shadash's comment. What's the point of having a much faster network if you can't provide the people with the coverage they need to take advantage of the speed?

From what I've noticed with my friends on AT&T (I'm on Verizon), is that even though their network speed is higher on paper (60% faster is dubious, as I've read that this was an AT&T-sponsored "study"), in real life, the difference isn't anything mind-blowing. Maybe a few seconds difference at best.
  • Reply 71 of 80
    27742774 Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

Gawd, another "it sucks for me so it sucks for everyone" post.

Blues-er: my observations are backed up by independent data - see Root Metrics.
  • Reply 72 of 80
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Here, is that higher?

It's Vodafone Australia which is a similar network to AT&T (HSDPA, HSUPA), tethered iPhone 4.

So how fast does Verizon "3G" go?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

I agree with shadash's comment. What's the point of having a much faster network if you can't provide the people with the coverage they need to take advantage of the speed?

From what I've noticed with my friends on AT&T (I'm on Verizon), is that even though their network speed is higher on paper (60% faster is dubious, as I've read that this was an AT&T-sponsored "study"), in real life, the difference isn't anything mind-blowing. Maybe a few seconds difference at best.

• Reply 73 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Here, is that higher?

It's Vodafone Australia which is a similar network to AT&T (HSDPA, HSUPA), tethered iPhone 4.

So how fast does Verizon "3G" go?

Congratulations, your speed over there is fast. I'm glad that you feel good for winning a pissing contest.

I live in CT and it just happens to be that the vast majority of times, I'm loading up websites as quickly or just a bit behind my AT&T friends. Maybe it's the geography and where the towers are. Or maybe it's my browser processing the information faster to make up for it.

Load time for most websites is around 10 - 15 seconds, which is just fine by me. I'm also just as capable of streaming video and music. Maybe you're Keanu Reeves and need to make sure that you get the vital information so you can clip the wire when the timer reads 0:01.

But I think the point still stands. I would rather take Verizon's slower, but almost guaranteed connection over AT&T's where it goes in and out.
  • Reply 74 of 80
    Maybe I like uploading videos to YouTube straight away, rather than going home, transferring to a computer and uploading from there.

Maybe I also like videochatting using Fring.

Quote:

Congratulations, your speed over there is fast. I'm glad that you feel good for winning a pissing contest.

I live in CT and it just happens to be that the vast majority of times, I'm loading up websites as quickly or just a bit behind my AT&T friends. Maybe it's the geography and where the towers are. Or maybe it's my browser processing the information faster to make up for it.

Load time for most websites is around 10 - 15 seconds, which is just fine by me. I'm also just as capable of streaming video and music. Maybe you're Keanu Reeves and need to make sure that you get the vital information so you can clip the wire when the timer reads 0:01.

But I think the point still stands. I would rather take Verizon's slower, but almost guaranteed connection over AT&T's where it goes in and out.

• Reply 75 of 80
    Quote:

Maybe I like uploading videos to YouTube straight away, rather than going home, transferring to a computer and uploading from there.

Maybe I also like videochatting using Fring.

I've uploaded YouTube videos straight from my phone with no issues. Take the video (all the way up to 720p) then select "Share" then "YouTube". Done.

While I don't have a front camera for video chats, I have played around with Fring and Tango (with friends on both AT&T and Verizon) and the quality's pretty good. A little jittery, but nothing horrible. Just waiting for Verizon to get a phone with a front camera (iPhone 4 or a new Android phone).

New York is right next to me and I'd bet it's one of the first cities to get onto Verizon LTE before the end of the year. I'd love to get my hands on an LTE phone next year and see how fast that network will be.
  • Reply 76 of 80
  • Reply 77 of 80
    Quote:

New York is right next to me and I'd bet it's one of the first cities to get onto Verizon LTE before the end of the year. I'd love to get my hands on an LTE phone next year and see how fast that network will be.

Don't expect too much from LTE when it comes out as I'm sure some fine tuning will be necessary. Sprint with its 4G is a perfect example. Sprints 4G is no better than 3G in most places where you can get it, if you have a 4G phone.
  • Reply 78 of 80
    So what happens if someone calls you while you are uploading a 5-600MB 720p video?

e.g. http://youtu.be/H52U3cLc7YQ?hd=1

Which is around 6-7 minutes worth.

It'd be annoying to interupt a 4-5 hour upload.

Quote:

I've uploaded YouTube videos straight from my phone with no issues. Take the video (all the way up to 720p) then select "Share" then "YouTube". Done.

While I don't have a front camera for video chats, I have played around with Fring and Tango (with friends on both AT&T and Verizon) and the quality's pretty good. A little jittery, but nothing horrible. Just waiting for Verizon to get a phone with a front camera (iPhone 4 or a new Android phone).

• Reply 79 of 80
    Quote:

So what happens if someone calls you while you are uploading a 5-600MB 720p video?

e.g. http://youtu.be/H52U3cLc7YQ?hd=1

Which is around 6-7 minutes worth.

It'd be annoying to interupt a 4-5 hour upload.

I'll give you props for keeping that goalpost mobile. Personally, I've never recorded anything in HD that's that massive. If it would take 4-5 hours as you claim, then I'd most likely be home anyway. But that's why I use WiFi for large uploads. Plenty of free hotspots in my area. Call it a cop-out if you want. I still believe LTE should resolve this issue (at least the voice/data limitation).

BTW, I find it amusing that you've taken my first comment almost personal to defend AT&T. Seeing as how you've had to boil it all the way down to uploading large files.
  • Reply 80 of 80
    Quote:

You mean the ones that eternally stuck on with Edge while all the CDMA carriers plus T-mobile have 3G because they don't want to spend money to upgrade the network?