Foxconn adds new production plants to meet demand for Apple's iPad

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lm67mm62 View Post

Foxconn attitude should be considered when you read this kind of news...

Check this swiss article about the slaves that produce our iStuff !

http://www.lecourrier.ch/index.php?n...cle&sid=447443

and its translation in english:

http://translate.google.com/translat...26sid%3D447443

and this report:

http://bit.ly/deGPWL

The sad irony is if we boycotted all such products made by such workers the result would be disastrous to these people. They would have no option for making any money, would have to go back to farming which already can?t sustain the people and the environment. On top of that, it?s the change to a global economy and this ?cheap labour? that is helping the Chinese people as a whole lessen the divide between the classes and the rest or the world.

The US is a lot closer to actual ?slave labour? than China. The US has a remarkably huge number of inmates who make pennies compared to Foxconn workers and can?t leave.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pomme View Post

U.S. Still World?s Largest Manufacturing Economy

http://www.manufacturing.net/News-US...my-100609.aspx

Largest by manufacturing revenue and largest GDP, but not that they state only 1 in 6 are working in manufacturing in some regard. Compare that with China. Foxconn has 20x as many people working on making the iPhone. (don?t take that literally).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Seems like a terrible expense to bring this production capacity on line now, and have to retool for the iPad2 in just a few months.

A few months of production is actually a lot, especially for this type of device. These factories, and parts therein are always having to ?retool? for different builds. Just look at the HP Slate and their 5,000 order run, which is probably the absolute smallest run they could get from their manufacturer.

Take the Mac Pro. These aren?t a high volume item, except perhaps among the high-end workstation market, but surely not among PCs or CE, in general. I?d wager that Apple commissions the components to be made, and then the factory works on something else after that run is completed.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The sad irony is if we boycotted all such products made by such workers the result would be disastrous to these people.

Worse than that, we wouldn't have our iPhones.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Thats exactly the point I was trying to make, the stinking republicans and their crappy policy/laws has created this perverse outsourced economics thats destroying our middle class and putting foreign workers at harm. All tech companies in the United States use this new business model in their product construction/development.

Don't just blame Republicans. All are culpable.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Quote:

Worse than that, we wouldn't have our iPhones.

LOL
  • Reply 25 of 28
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    1. Lots of Info on Republicans or what so ever. I am sorry i dont live in US so i dont have a clue what you are talking about.

But the facts remains,

If you were a business leader, would you produce your products somewhere else if it is 2 times cheaper even with added transportation cost?

While you love of your country and would still love to get it produced in US, what are the chance you wont be voted out by me ( Shareholders ) if your profit margin is substantially lower then competition? ( Clue: VERY slim )

And to all those who talk about slavery. I am sorry. You dont even have a clue of what slaves means.

And you dont have a clue about China, or any other developing countries either.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    Quote:

FYI: The Republican Congress wrote the legislation while Clinton was being endlessly harassed by Ken Starr at the behest of said Congress.

So what you are saying is that the world would be a better place if Clinton could have kept his pants on.

BTW, Congress can write anything they want, but it isn't law until the President signs it.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    I should head over there and do some dumpster diving. Maybe I'll find some rejects (four bad pixels) in the trash.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TokyoJimu View Post

I should head over there and do some dumpster diving. Maybe I'll find some rejects (four bad pixels) in the trash.