Apple I computer sells for $174K at London auction

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    Maybe I have to wait another 10 or so Years to sell my Apple II. ;-)
  • Reply 22 of 39
    I have 2 questions:

Can it play Crysis?

and

Will it blend?
  • Reply 23 of 39
    NEWS FLASH: iFixit on Wednesday conducted it's usual teardown of the Apple I. The Apple I's component costs total $1.65. Most of the cost saving comes from Apple's use of obsolete components and the lack of Flash memory. Gene Munster sees this as yet another sign of Apple's commitment to a streaming model for the Apple I and raised his price target for AAPL to $14,000 per share. Munster believes that with an ASP of over $100,000 and a component cost of less than $2 the Apple I is no longer just a "hobby" as Jobs claimed in 1977.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mugwump View Post

There are rumors circulating about the Apple 2. It's going to be dramatically different, so I wouldn't purchase that Apple 1 just yet.

Let's just say that I've heard from garages around town that it's going to be encased in a wooden box, with the cassette drive built in.

I'm holding out for the floppy disk version.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I'm holding out for the floppy disk version.

It will be two floppy drives, one for the system, the other for the games.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A rare example of Apple's first computer, the Apple I, in "superb" condition sold for $174,000 at an auction in London on Tuesday.

Italian businessman and private collector Marco Boglione made the winning bid, which came to about $210,000 after tax, by phone Tuesday at Christie's auction house in London, the Associated Press reports. Prior to the auction, Christie's estimated the computer would sell for between $160,000-240,000. When it was released in 1976, the Apple I sold for $666.66.

The Apple I computer, of which only 200 were made, has become a rare collector's item, as only 30 to 50 units are believed to still exist. The auctioned unit was listed as a "superb example" and came in its original box with a signed letter from Apple cofounder Steve Jobs.

Apple cofounder Steve Wozniak, who hand-built each of the Apple I personal computers, attended the auction, offering to add an autographed letter to the lot. Wozniak told reporters the auction was a historic moment for his work.

According to the AP, the auction included other pieces of technological history, such as an Enigma code-making machine and writings of Alan Turing, who is considered "one of the founders of modern computing."

"Today my heart went out as I got to see things auctioned off like the Turing documents and the Enigma machine ? and the Apple I," said Wozniak after the auction. "It really was an important step, (even though) I didn't feel that way when I designed it."

Source: Christie's

This is completely nuts to spend this money for this computer.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

It's good invested money though. My guess the guy who bought that machine, can easily sell it for trice the price in a couple of years.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doorman. View Post

I have 2 questions:

Can it play Crysis?

and

Will it blend?

A) Crysis 1 or 2?

B) Yes if you have a strong and big blender.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I am getting déjÃ* vu! Didn't this exact story run two or three weeks ago or am I in a time warp?
  • Reply 30 of 39
    Quote:

Same could be said of many things collectors collect. The rationale I assume is another collector will pay them more one day and this has set the value base line. Having said the cynical thing I do admit it is a bit of history and if Apple do over take Exxon as the most valuable company on the planet my bet is one of their first ever products will go up in value.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Gene Munster sees this as yet another sign of Apple's commitment to a streaming model for the Apple I and raised his price target for AAPL to $14,000 per share.

Hmm... AAPL's current price reflects a 112x increase since its IPO at $2.75 (adjusted for the three 2:1 splits).

Its all time low was about $1.82 (August 1985) therefore a 170x return since then - almost the same price appreciation of the Apple I.

From $310 to $14000 would only be a 45x increase.

Gene's underestimating again.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john galt View Post

Hmm... AAPL's current price reflects a 112x increase since its IPO at $2.75 (adjusted for the three 2:1 splits).

Its all time low was about $1.82 (August 1985) therefore a 170x return since then - almost the same price appreciation of the Apple I.

From $310 to $14000 would only be a 45x increase.

Gene's underestimating again.

Very clever
  • Reply 33 of 39
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

You're ignoring the entire concept of collecting. It's the same as someone spending $400,000 on a copy of Action Comics #1.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    Anyone wanna buy my NeXT Cube for $100,000??? \
  • Reply 35 of 39
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    At least it was built in the U.S.!

With inflation, that $666.66 would be about $2400 today.

I never "played" with an Apple I, but I did get involved with computing at the time of the Apple II, the Tandy TRS-80 Model I (known as the "Trash-80") and the Commodore 8032 series.

In spite of the fact that the Commodore had more memory and an 80-column screen capability, it appeared from the start that Apple had their act together more than the others, beginning with far better documentation and better marketing to software publishers with the "Apple evangelist" program.

It was amazing what programmers used to accomplish in those days considering the tiny bits of disk space and memory available. Code writers would pride themselves on writing tight code. I worked on the development of a test scoring program for schools and when we created the second version of the program, the developer came to me one day and said that we were going to have to go from a 48k memory requirement to 64k, which required the use of an extra 16k memory board (in the Apple II). I freaked out because I didn't think our customers would be willing to invest in buying that extra memory board. But never did we imagine that a typical computer 30 years later would have 2GB of memory. We probably didn't even know what "gig" meant.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Maybe I have to wait another 10 or so Years to sell my Apple II. ;-)

eh.

apple sold 200 Apple I's

apple sold millions of Apple II's (and 50,000 in the first 2.5 years)
  • Reply 37 of 39
    $666.66. Hmmm. Mark of the beast? Anti-Christ? Steve Jobs? Ascendancy to his throne at age 66? I think I just broke the code

So all you Apple haters, you have 11 more years until Steve reduces you all to ashes. No worries, though, that's more than enough time to see the light and repent.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

@john galt 4K RAM was plenty -- many of the mainframes of that day had 64K.

This unit has 8K RAM!

(zoom-in the picture)
  • Reply 39 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brometheus View Post

$666.66. Hmmm. Mark of the beast? Anti-Christ? Steve Jobs? Ascendancy to his throne at age 66? I think I just broke the code

So all you Apple haters, you have 11 more years until Steve reduces you all to ashes. No worries, though, that's more than enough time to see the light and repent.

Seriously thought, what was up with that pricing? I wonder what they were thinking there. If they were going for whimsy $669.69 would be a lot better.