NPD: 11% of consumers likely to purchase Apple iPad by February

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Aside from a camera, what do you expect the differences to be? Maybe a little speed, more RAM? Unless you are planning to use it for FaceTime, what would compel even a current iPad user to upgrade. It is not like you should be worried about resale value. I wonder how much enjoyment I will get from my current iPad between now and whenever the new one comes out.

I can tell you one thing that would be really cool about FaceTime, would be AirPlay the other person to a TV so everyone in the room could see.

Woah! That is absolutely doable with what is in place/store. Every household a video conferencing setup based on iPad/iPhone and AppleTV....

Wait, the other side should see my entire room and everyone in it. So, a small iSight camera attached to the TV?
  • Reply 22 of 53
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,693member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

That story should push the stock up a little more

I hope so! It's only gone up $14 since I bought another 100 shares a week ago. This just isn't good enough
  • Reply 23 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You don?t think Apple can have an installed base that exceeds 30M? I think you are wrong.

Plus, your analysis is very limited. As seen on numerous occasions this past year the iPad is appealing to the vast majority of people who aren?t technical. Who don?t work in ?technology departments? and who don?t measure their self worth by how complex of a system they can master. So, your data points are pretty much irrelevant to the real world.

Oprah just proved your point!
  • Reply 24 of 53
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gctwnl View Post

Woah! That is absolutely doable with what is in place/store. Every household a video conferencing setup based on iPad/iPhone and AppleTV....

Wait, the other side should see my entire room and everyone in it. So, a small iSight camera attached to the TV?

No, another camera is too complicated. You could buy an available iPhone stand and use BT microphone. Set the iPhone in an appropriate vantage point.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

How many of these people are holding out for iPad 2 and are thinking it will be out (or at least revealed) by February. I, for one, have been waiting for iPad 2 since iPhone 4 came out, and have been waiting for those features (camera, bigger processor) to make it to the iPad

Apple will never have a product cycle of less than twelve months, it's commercial suicide. iPad two will not be on sale to the general public within twelve months of the original product sale date. All those hoping for something significant before this time will be very disappointed.

Also, just to note that I can see no reason for a bigger processor - the pad runs beautifully and doesn't have any performance issues. Numbers mean nothing.
  • Reply 26 of 53
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Oprah just proved your point!

Case in point, for sure. I was surprised at how quickly my mother took to it. I knew she?d like it, but I didn?t think she?d be reading all her books on it. Personally, I don?t use mine very much. I?d rather have my Mac or my iPhone. I use it for some games, for converting Pages documents to ePub for studying, and watching AVIs when "mobile but stationary". I still grab my iPhone or Mac for email and internet.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSux View Post

A rational question, Blastdoor. Who are "consumers"?

To make the assumption than 1 in 10 americans will buy an ipad is rediculous.

I work in a technology department- so, people who are open to adopting technology. There's about 80 people here. Only 1 owns an iPad and I doubt it'll expand much more than that. Perhaps 3 at most. That's far from 11%.

there are 3 people in my immediate work group of about 20 people at work who already own one. There are at least 2 or 3 more who have that look in their eye...
  • Reply 28 of 53
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:

I work in a technology department- so, people who are open to adopting technology. There's about 80 people here. Only 1 owns an iPad and I doubt it'll expand much more than that. Perhaps 3 at most. That's far from 11%.

Consumers are laymen, general members of the public, not people who are IT professionals.

Technology professionals are people who are resistant to adopting technology btw, they are people who tend to build their own machines and be very stuck in their purchasing habits and preconceptions of what they feel technology should be. IT Professional purchases do not reflect the purchases of the general populous. Your assumption is flawed.

I know a lot of older people who would never have bought a laptop/desktop who are buying iPad - people like my mum (in her 60s) absolutely love it. She works in an office of 18 people, four have iPads. And this is in the UK within six months of launch.
  • Reply 29 of 53
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:

Case in point, for sure. I was surprised at how quickly my mother took to it. I knew she?d like it, but I didn?t think she?d be reading all her books on it. Personally, I don?t use mine very much. I?d rather have my Mac or my iPhone. I use it for some games, for converting Pages documents to ePub for studying, and watching AVIs when "mobile but stationary". I still grab my iPhone or Mac for email and internet.

At the risk of moving off-topic...

I was very surprised to see how much work I could do on websites I'm responsible for that are managed with a web-based content management system. I never thought I'd be able to do 'paying work' on an iPad, but it turns out I can! It has come in quite handy in the photo studio as well, though on1's new iPad-native app will make it indispensable!
  • Reply 30 of 53
    "as 97 percent of all households that have a PC own a Windows PC."

My guess is that this statistic is at least a decade old. The other possibility is that the author is citing world-wide data, in which case this is disingenuous at best.
  • Reply 31 of 53
    Quote:

You don?t think Apple can have an installed base that exceeds 30M? I think you are wrong.

Plus, your analysis is very limited. As seen on numerous occasions this past year the iPad is appealing to the vast majority of people who aren?t technical. Who don?t work in ?technology departments? and who don?t measure their self worth by how complex of a system they can master. So, your data points are pretty much irrelevant to the real world.

I think Apple's install base is currently about 50 million.

Macs only.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

"as 97 percent of all households that have a PC own a Windows PC."

My guess is that this statistic is at least a decade old. The other possibility is that the author is citing world-wide data, in which case this is disingenuous at best.

There should always be a caveat to statements about the number of households with PCs; that to be included in the stats the Windows PC has to be the main computer in use today and not in the garage holding up a bucket.
  • Reply 33 of 53
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

I guess the idea of assuming that someone who is "smart enough" to work in a technology department also knows how to spell is "ridiculous" . ....
  • Reply 34 of 53
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Aside from a camera, what do you expect the differences to be? Maybe a little speed, more RAM? Unless you are planning to use it for FaceTime, what would compel even a current iPad user to upgrade. It is not like you should be worried about resale value. I wonder how much enjoyment I will get from my current iPad between now and whenever the new one comes out.

I can tell you one thing that would be really cool about FaceTime, would be AirPlay the other person to a TV so everyone in the room could see.

You've seen the PlayBooks browsing speed right? It's running hardware very similar to what the second generation iPad will have. Personally, I'd be willing to wait for that kind of an upgrade. I couldn't care less about the camera though.

It's true that right now you would still get a few extra months of enjoyment from buying an iPad now and 4.2 makes the iPad better than ever, so it might be best for some people to buy one now, if they haven't yet. For me, I'm content to wait at this point. I wanted to buy one in April, but the money wasn't there. Now I've waited so long that a few more months doesn't seem like a big deal. Once February rolls around, I would definitely recommend that everyone one who can wait should.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

I guess the idea of assuming that someone who is "smart enough" to work in a technology department also knows how to spell is "ridiculous" . ....

• Reply 36 of 53
    Quote:

I work in a technology department

Well, there's your answer! These folks are the first to adopt any technology, as long as it's not Apple.
  • Reply 37 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Well, there's your answer! These folks are the first to adopt any technology, as long as it's not Apple.

You also have to question their definition of 'technology'.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    Quote:

The one in ten (11%?) is not an assumption, but an inference from their survey. If Apple is selling two million per month, yes, it will take over a year to supply 11% of the US population.

However, it has ALREADY sold, nationwide, well over the rate of the 1 in 80 buyers in your department.

You guys are not keeping up!
  • Reply 39 of 53
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    His user name is "AppleSux" and he's never posted a word that wasn't shrill Apple bashing. Not super surprising that his "experience" would put Apple in a bad light.
  • Reply 40 of 53
    I believe that was 11% of people surveyed. I didn't catch the extrapolation to the general populace in the article. If the people in your office are truly open 3 out of 80 indicates they are all wintel commited or they are not as open as you believe.