Apple iPhone user loyalty twice that of Android

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

For one I'm not pleased at all with Apples 4.x release as it is as buggy as all get out. 4.2 has improved that significantly but Apple has soured my opinion of the iPhone devision. That is a problem too as my MBP has been sweet, the best computer investment in some time. Of course the MBP is an early 2008 model and could use an update but it has been solid.

In any event this is an phone thread and frankly what has kept me on the iPhone is the integration and app store. The release of 4.0 though has my iPhone loyalty in question. The only thing in Apples favor here is that nothing even remotely compares software wise. That sounds like a contradiction but on a whole iPhone isn't that bad. So the right machine could draw me away, if such ever ends up on the market. Right now there are no options.

I guess what I'm saying is that another screw up on Apples part might have me parting company. Then again my 3G is working pretty good again so I'm hoping it holds out to iPhone 5. That is if I go the smart phone route, sometimes I think my money would be better spent on a tablet. There are a lot of things conspiring to pull me off the smart phone bandwagon that have nothing to do with Apple.

Wake me up when you aren't 2 hardware revisions behind, in the future.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fardner24 View Post

I haven't posted on this site yet but when I saw this I knew I had too.

I've never had an iPhone but I've had an iPod touch since they came out and I've always loved them.

As a user stuck on Verizon I had no choice to get the iPhone so I got the original Droid, it sucked, to make anything halfway decent on it you had to get separate apps, new browser, new sms app, new home screen, pretty much new everything. At first I thought it was awesome and sweet but then, how do you sync your iTunes, well there's a five dollar app, something so simple as to sync with music, it doesn't even sync with Amazon Music and that's the default place on Android that you buy music. Not to even mention the terrible hardware the Droid 1 has the slider didn't have a spring making it impossible to slide, the slider was really wiggly, and the keyboard was absolutely terrible.

I almost forgot to mention, when it came out there was no multitouch in the browser the keyboard, anywhere. I was used to typing on my 2 year old iTouch where the multi touch I could just fly through it, I get the droid and I am poking at every letter single handed with my index finger. Luckily for me there was another $5 keyboard app.

For the amount in apps that I've spent trying to have a reasonable experience I probably should've just swithed to the iPhone and that's what I'm going to do this year right when the new iPhone comes out and the new iPad. I've had it with Android!

Welcome to the forums
  • Reply 23 of 41
    No one else can inspire the kind of brand loyalty Apple does. It isn't by accident.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doorman. View Post

I think Apple's strategy is more about getting new consumers and not retaining old (just look at monitor segment - professionals, those who were loyal to apple during its downfall, do not have now any choice of good NON GLOSSY screens (except 30") and iMacs).

Forget about those 41%. Many of them stay with iPhone anyways.

Apple's strategy, like any company, is to grow. I was one of the "old customers" as you put it and i'm now working on a Glossy Screen, so they've managed to retain me.

The Glossy v Non Glossy screen debate is one that could just run and run.

Time to move on or stay with the program i'm afraid.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SkywalkerMac View Post

you're right, it's brand loyalty because (at least for me) when using apple products, things just work great, everything is well done. I can't think about using other phone than an iphone, it's just impossible to consider. And that's the main problem that other brands have, they don't have this loyalty that apple has. I always say that buying an apple product is just more than buying a a piece of hardware, you don't just buy a phone or a computer, it's a lot more, but well, i'm a fanboy :P

Quote:
    Originally Posted by EnviroG View Post

I 2nd that, thought

I 3rd that completely. There is nothing out there that even closely makes me think to buy any other smartphone then one of the next gen iPhones. Seriously I am already looking forward to see what kind of surprises SJ has waiting for us.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

No one else can inspire the kind of brand loyalty Apple does. It isn't by accident.

Agree.

The Pre-iPod Apple days was cult membership only. Probably kept Apple going to some extent.

Whilst many have remained loyal, i know of plenty of people who've never previously bought into Apple, who simply love the product and what Apple do.

Like you say it isn't accidental.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

I think Apple's strategy is more about getting new consumers and not retaining old (just look at monitor segment - professionals, those who were loyal to apple during its downfall, do not have now any choice of good NON GLOSSY screens (except 30") and iMacs).

Forget about those 41%. Many of them stay with iPhone anyways.

Perhaps you should talk to some of the Apple's user in the Creative Pro, Education, Science and Business markets that are profiled on Apple. Interesting that in medical imaging, the glossy screen is so highly recommended over matte. Also noticeable, that so many of us work in lower level lighting settings.

Keep in mind that glare does not originate from the screen. It comes from the light that shines on and bounces off the screen. http://headaches.about.com/od/trigge...e_lighting.htm
  • Reply 28 of 41
    I just asked one of my co-workers what she likes about her iPhone.

She gave multiple answers but overall its because she feels on a par with her friends who also own iPhones. She can discuss apps knowing her friends can share the experience. The phone is the hub of her social network. She's not going to feel left out.

Personally it's not like that for me but i imagine that's how it is for the vast majority of phone users.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    The Loyalty comes from APPLE. Apple stands behind it products. As long as Apple is innovative and Master of the game, most people will stay with Apple. Android and Rimm put phones out, but after that they don't really want to bother with the customer.

And yes it's also a Hub for social networks and friends as was already mentioned.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Three each here so far i.e. each model up to 3Gs and we'd have bought two 4s recently but as FiOS users I am hanging back to see if there maybe a Verizon version in early 2011. I don't want to start a new 2 year AT&T contract if we are that close.

Yeah, 3 here too. So maybe the bar graph needs to account for that, not just repeat but three-peat. Did anyone else notice the Verizon TV spot over the weekend advertising LTE 4G?
  • Reply 31 of 41
    Brand loyalty isn't the reason in our office- The iphone just does more than the current Blackberry crop can. Apple's main detractor for employees continues to be that it is viewed as a mediocre phone.

Email- great, Calendar-great, Apps- great, Media- great....and the list goes on- Yet we still have employees eschewing the iphone for a blackberries because they truly believe they are better Phones. Several carry both, the BB for the phone, and the iphone for the rest- This is why you see RIM with high marks as well- I haven't carried a BB in years, but I still think they are (were) an excellent device, if you just stick with what they do well.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spudit View Post

Brand loyalty isn't the reason in our office- The iphone just does more than the current Blackberry crop can. Apple's main detractor for employees continues to be that it is viewed as a mediocre phone.

Email- great, Calendar-great, Apps- great, Media- great....and the list goes on- Yet we still have employees eschewing the iphone for a blackberries because they truly believe they are better Phones. Several carry both, the BB for the phone, and the iphone for the rest- This is why you see RIM with high marks as well- I haven't carried a BB in years, but I still think they are (were) an excellent device, if you just stick with what they do well.

Are these employees older? I know of many in my company that choose BBs because the OS is familiar with them. They still see all these newer devices (iPhone, Androids, WP7, etc) as more play devices and not for business.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enzos View Post

Did we really need the woodgrain ;-)

I gotta agree. I am sure the woodgrain template must have been created out of spite. Or on a really bad hangover morning.

Anyway.... back on topic... I am definitely twice as loyal as an Android user!
  • Reply 34 of 41
    Quote:

You should know that there are 3 types of lies: lie, big lie, and statistics

It is hard for me to believe that a full 41% of iPhone owners have said "I ain't never gonna get one of these here iPhone things next time around!"

And yet, Apple Insider has said that that is the case.

You say it is untrue.

I find it hard to believe.

But you are certain that it is an untruth published by Apple Insider?
  • Reply 35 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Are these employees older? I know of many in my company that choose BBs because the OS is familiar with them. They still see all these newer devices (iPhone, Androids, WP7, etc) as more play devices and not for business.

I would agree with you there. They aren't old, but not young either, mostly aged between 30-45. Since we all started on BB's, and they worked well...that notion doesn't fade quickly.

I hear the reception bitch nearly everyday with the iphone, hell...I often have my own issues. The IP4 has been better, but the fact is that 3G in many parts of the country is still pretty sketchy and the iPhones network switching is still problematic in more rural areas. Most of our road warrior types have turned off 3G for good, because EDGE is good enough for email and phone reception is just better all around.

But back to Apple loyalty- For business users I think it comes down to what you can do. If RIM or even Android could provide the same device features or services, Apple would no longer be a top pick. We've already started testing some Android devices- Cool, but not as refined as IOS, and it doesn't have the bulletproof factor that RIM still maintains for Enterprise.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    interesting antic-dote, I know many people who switched from iphone 2 3 and 4 to android but no one who went from any version of android to iPhone.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

interesting antic-dote, I know many people who switched from iphone 2 3 and 4 to android but no one who went from any version of android to iPhone.

interesting... I've experienced the exact opposite.... Most people I know who had android had switched to iPhone...
  • Reply 38 of 41
    A recent analyze by Teutonic mart investigate concern GfK Group indicates that most smart phone users see lowercase loyalty to their figure right of Apple?s iPhone, which commands more than twice the faithfulness of Android devices or smart phones in general.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    Don't know if AI is planning on posting this as an article, but thought it's interesting:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20024229-37.html

http://www.electronista.com/articles....than.android/
  • Reply 40 of 41

iPhone is the market leader, android is also in the competition and the efforts made are good. But Its an amazing fact that Nokia have such a small percentage of user loyalty. As far as I know the persons who are using Nokia are very satisfied with it, infact my family members are big fan of it. But yes, it will vary as per use.