Richard Branson's 'Project' debuts on iPad, Infinity Blade coming Dec. 9

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
British Billionaire Richard Branson has launched his new iPad-only magazine, titled Project, on the App Store for $2.99. Also, Infinity Blade from Epic Games, already featured in iPad TV commercials, will launch on Dec. 9 for iOS devices at a price of $5.99.

Project for iPad released

Project (iTunes link) is a free magazine application built specifically for iPad. The debut issue, released Tuesday, features actor Jeff Bridges on the cover promoting his upcoming movie, Tron: Legacy.

Individual issues can be purchased within the application for $2.99 each. Published by Branson's Virgin, it requires iOS 4.2 or later.

While it features new, unique content exclusive to the iPad application, the software has also been criticized for its complex touch-based interface. Project comes with a one-page instruction manual that explains features like the "Action Button," "Spine," and "Plus Panels."

The magazine's release comes as Apple is rumored to hold a media event on Dec. 9 with a number of print executives. Rumors have suggested that Apple plans to introduce a new subscription billing option for newspapers and magazines on the iPad.

Other reports have indicated that Apple plans to release a software update in the form of iOS 4.3 in mid-December. Reports have claimed that the new mobile operating system update would include recurring application subscriptions.

Infinity Blade to launch on iOS Dec. 9

Chair Entertainment and Epic Games announced Tuesday that Infinity Blade, the much-anticipated forthcoming iOS game based on the Unreal Engine, will launch in the App Store on Dec. 9. The title will be playable on the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, third- and fourth-generation iPod touch models, and the iPad, and it will cost $5.99.

Infinity Blade will be a universal app, meaning users can purchase it and play it on multiple devices, like an iPhone and iPad. It will also be compatible with Game Center, Apple's social gaming network that allows users to find friends to play games with online, as well as track scores and achievements.

In September, Epic announced the Unreal Development Kit for iOS. It also released the free Epic Citadel application, a tech demonstration used to illustrate the power of the iOS platform to render high-resolution 3D graphics.

Apple has even included footage from Infinity Blade in one iPad commercial. After it was publicly demonstrated on an iPhone in September, Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs remarked that it was "remarkable" that Epic was able to achieve such graphics on a mobile device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Totally awesome that this game is going to be a universal app. Its most annoying when companies don't release universal apps (esp. games) and then expect you to buy the same thing twice for your iPhone and iPad.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    removed
  • Reply 3 of 21
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macfreak7 View Post

Totally awesome that this game is going to be a universal app. Its most annoying when companies don't release universal apps (esp. games) and then expect you to buy the same thing twice for your iPhone and iPad.

By that logic do you expect a publisher to give you the paperback version of a book if you purchase the hardback? If you buy a game for the playstation 3, do you expect the xbox version to be included? Not sure why there's an assumption that you have a right to purchase once and receive multiple versions at no extra cost? it's nice when it happens, but it's nothing to complain about when it doesn't...

• Reply 4 of 21
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    As someone who's currently reading/enjoying the first issue of 'PROJECT', all I can say is - it's (by far) the finest digital magazine yet released, and deserves to succeed based on outstanding design, solid content, and fair pricing alone - IMO.

The only issue that I do have with it is the extremely long download times (e.g. some 50 minutes over wireless N), and the resulting size of the file itself, especially for those with lower-capacity iPads.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    It'll be interesting when Playboy and Penthouse want to try this new subscription.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

By that logic do you expect a publisher to give you the paperback version of a book if you purchase the hardback? If you buy a game for the playstation 3, do you expect the xbox version to be included? Not sure why there's an assumption that you have a right to purchase once and receive multiple versions at no extra cost? it's nice when it happens, but it's nothing to complain about when it doesn't...

Not really. When there are developers out there that are willing to make QUALITY universal apps then it just goes to show the others that don't do that are big fans of Michael Douglas n Wall Street.

Gameloft is a good example. They make some awesome games, but also make sure to milk the market by developing non-universal apps WITHOUT adding much more functionality to the iPad equivalent.

OTOH, Rage HD, Galaxy On Fire 2, and now this game mentioned are great examples of universal apps that are super quality.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Thankfully priced at £1.79 in the UK, which is less than the US price at today's exchange rate.

That makes a pleasant surprise!
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Quote:

By that logic do you expect a publisher to give you the paperback version of a book if you purchase the hardback?

I see your point. But, in this case I believe this is more like purchasing a PC game. Wouldn't you expect to be able to take that game to any PC compatible computer, and assuming that computer met the minimum game requirements, be able to play it?

The poster is talking about multiple iOS devices that run the same OS but have different screen sizes. A publisher is free to make any restrictions he wishes, but I believe it's reasonable to expect purchased software to work on any compatible device.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

As someone who's currently reading/enjoying the first issue of 'PROJECT', all I can say is - it's (by far) the finest digital magazine yet released, and deserves to succeed based on outstanding design, solid content, and fair pricing alone - IMO.

The only issue that I do have with it is the extremely long download times (e.g. some 50 minutes over wireless N), and the resulting size of the file itself, especially for those with lower-capacity iPads.

50 minutes?? I don't think it took me anywhere near that long to download the latest massive Mac OS X update (700 meg?). How big is this thing?
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

50 minutes?? I don't think it took me anywhere near that long to download the latest massive Mac OS X update (700 meg?). How big is this thing?

It only took 5 mins for me.

It's not that big, about 400Mb I think.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jm6032 View Post

I see your point. But, in this case I believe this is more like purchasing a PC game. Wouldn't you expect to be able to take that game to any PC compatible computer, and assuming that computer met the minimum game requirements, be able to play it?

The poster is talking about multiple iOS devices that run the same OS but have different screen sizes. A publisher is free to make any restrictions he wishes, but I believe it's reasonable to expect purchased software to work on any compatible device.

iPhone/iPod apps do work on any iOS device, including the iPad. What you're asking for is a completely different version, designed for the iPad to be given to you for free when you buy the iPhone app. That's not reasonable. It's nice when it happens but it's not expected.

I'm not a developer, yet I understand that they should be compensated for their work. Does anybody here go to work for free? I gladly pay a developer for a good app. If I like to use it, then they should be paid for it.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    I have never met Richard Branson but I once had a best friend who did. My friend was at a dinner party with his fiancee where Branson was also a guest. To my friend's surprise, Branson initiated surreptitious (under the table) physical contact with my friend's fiancee and invited her to have sex with him. I don't think she agreed.

Ever since then, I have been nervous about flying on Branson's airline.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    ^^

I'm sorry, but so what?

Back on topic, this game looks sensational, and I purchased the Project Magazine this morning. Haven't had a chance to look over it yet, but I'm excited for the commute home.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tardis View Post

I have never met Richard Branson but I once had a best friend who did. My friend was at a dinner party with his fiancee where Branson was also a guest. To my friend's surprise, Branson initiated surreptitious (under the table) physical contact with my friend's fiancee and invited her to have sex with him. I don't think she agreed.

Huh? If you never used a product from a company whose chief executive tried to have sex with someone, there aren't too many products you'd get to buy. You certainly wouldn't be watching very many movies.

At least in your example, it was at a dinner party and not an employee or contractor.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tardis View Post

I have met the guy and I doubt your friend's story...... As far as billionaires go, he is pretty cool and his airline is just fine.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

It only took 5 mins for me.

It's not that big, about 400Mb I think.

The fact that I downloaded it as soon as it appeared (around 2145 PST) in the US app store (heavy server traffic ?) could have contributed to the lengthy download/installation time.

I'll know for sure upon purchasing the next issue on 32 Dec 10.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    the whole concept of magazine/newspaper issues is so quaint

why would i pay money for this when i can get the same information free on blogs?
  • Reply 18 of 21
    I just remember there was a time where content like this was free on the web. Thank you Apple for creating Apps and your App Store. You have created an evironment of exclusitivity rather than one that is inclusive. With your Apps, the web is longer free.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    I guess the poster above me was waiting for HTML5 games... hmmm yes, where were those again? Secondly, people can still use web apps, they just realize that native apps are better, namely because of performance.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

C'mon, those situations you mentioned are different from the iPad/iPhone analogy. A lot of developers just charge more (and separately, of course) for an iPad app. I will always favor developers who release universal binaries and sell it as one, EVEN IF IT MEANS I pay more for the combined app than a hypothetical standalone iPhone app.