Verizon 4G LTE launches Sunday with high-speed plans starting at $50

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    Hope 4G LTE isn't 4G "Lite."
  • Reply 22 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

You don't need a USB port for that. Verizon will probably have WiFi hotspots that connect to their 4G network. And even failing that, they'll have devices that connect to the dock port.

Why do people keep begging for a physical USB port when there are alternate ways of achieving the same objective?

Thompson

Probably because they are willing to sound stupid in an anonymous bboard because they are too lazy to study the matter in depth and find alternate ways of achieving the same objective.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alma View Post

How does that work? The webpages load faster, but contain no more data.

But if you can move through data faster you're likely to consume more, since you're spending less time waiting for downloads and more time moving restlessly on to the next thing.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPilya View Post

Under the IMT Advanced requirements 4G requires that the technology be capable of 1000Mbps (1Gbps). This is why Verizon's LTE is NOT 4G as it can only do 100Mbps. LTE Advanced will most likely make the grade, but that is not slated for certification until 2011.

What is VERY sad is that they are calling their service "4G" yet the speeds are only 25% of 3G speeds. I really would love to see the hammer fall on the use of "4G" as it is being mis-used and purposely misrepresented by companies like Verizon.

Well think of it this way: Real world speeds never actually equal theoretical speeds, so if this LTE network can deliver a final speed to each device that's comparable to what a "real 4g network" would deliver, why NOT call it 4g? Obviously I'm just talking straight out of my ass here with no comparable data though...
  • Reply 25 of 38
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Probably because they are willing to sound stupid in an anonymous bboard because they are too lazy to study the matter in depth and find alternate ways of achieving the same objective.

OR

people want usb

hmm....
  • Reply 26 of 38
    Wake me up when *REAL* 4G is available -- i.e. LTE Advanced. Until then, this is ONLY marketing hoopla!!!!
  • Reply 27 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justbobf View Post

Isn't that pretty expensive? $50/month? That's just for data isn't it? AT&T's current rate is $30/month, I think, isn't it? And, it's too high for me, considering how there are four phones in our family...

And for T-Mobile, unlimited data AND text is only $19.99.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

And for T-Mobile, unlimited data AND text is only $19.99.

The $50 is for just USB Modem Data, not a data plan for

a phone. AT&T is $60 for 5GB & Tmob is $40 for unlimited

data that's throttled down after 5GB.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    aatbaatb Posts: 10member
    Meh. It's not available in my area although we do have Sprint's WiMax coverage. The real world results are about the same (between 5 and 10 Mbit/sec), but Sprint doesn't have any data caps. So I'm not sure what all the hype is about unless you live in one of Verizon's market cities and you want to reach your bandwidth cap faster than you ever could before.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    Don't get to excited about 4G LTE. Being in NYC where 4G is around (supposedly) Firstly you need a 4G phone, then you need a MI-FI hot spot to really take advantage of it. And after seeing it on a Sprint phone, I can actually say I wasn't too impressed. Perhaps down the road when all networks are 4G this good be good.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Well think of it this way: Real world speeds never actually equal theoretical speeds, so if this LTE network can deliver a final speed to each device that's comparable to what a "real 4g network" would deliver, why NOT call it 4g? Obviously I'm just talking straight out of my ass here with no comparable data though...

What the other poster quite clearly cites is the theoretical that Verizon claims as 4G must met at the theoretical 100BaseT threshold.

Real 4G theoretical must meet 1000BaseT and it's theoretical threshold.

In short, if the actual is 14MB for the 100BaseT you'd expect around 140MB for the 1000BaseT.

This summary says it all:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMT_Advanced
  • Reply 32 of 38
    Quote:

I expect the iPhone to be the first 4G phone on Verizon. It all fits.

I highly doubt that for 2 reasons:

1. There is nothing indicating that the current iPhone 4 has LTE capability if it shows up on Verizon. Unless someone else knows something, all the rumors of the Verizon iPhone point to CDMA. Which means that the earliest LTE iPhone will be the iPhone 5 in the middle of the summer.

However, Verizon has plans to release LTE capable phones before the summer, so they already have their choice of phones ready.

2. There are already Android phones capable of LTE being tested right now. The HTC "Mecha" or Incredible HD, the Motorola "Etna" and an unnamed LG phone. All have been reported to be fully functional on LTE.

I'm willing to bet that the first LTE phone to be released on Verizon will run Android.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

1. There is nothing indicating that the current iPhone 4 has LTE capability if it shows up on Verizon.

That would be because it doesn't. The current iPhone can never work on Verizon's network. You need new hardware from scratch.

Quote:

I'm willing to bet that the first LTE phone to be released on Verizon will run Android.

Yep, given that the phones'll be announced at CES and the iPhone comes out in June. I buy that.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    I might have missed something, but does the $50 replace the current 3G data plan? Or is it in addition to the 3G data plan?

I'd figure it replaces the 3G data plan and uses 3G as the fallback. It would suck having to pay an additional $50 on top of what I pay now...
  • Reply 35 of 38
    pa33pa33 Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

I might have missed something, but does the $50 replace the current 3G data plan? Or is it in addition to the 3G data plan?

I'd figure it replaces the 3G data plan and uses 3G as the fallback. It would suck having to pay an additional $50 on top of what I pay now...

It's in addition to current plan and it does fall back to 3G in the absence of LTE. Guessing

that they may not activate you on that plan if you're not in an LTE area. Sprint is unlimited

4G but caps at 5GB for 3G but both plans are the same cost.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

How does that work? The webpages load faster, but contain no more data.

Yes - but if your page loads in one third the time - unless you read very slowly - you are a lot more likely to consume more content in a given period of time - or spend more of your time overall downloading content - meaning that in a given billing cycle the probability that you will end up with a higher overall data usage is much higher.

Whatever happened to FIOS? Is that still being rolled out? Don't see it as an option where I live - despite being included in this 4G roll out.

I would be interested in comparing my current Cable TV / Internet / Digital Phone service to a FIOS package - on the other hand - we've got 4 new iPhone 4s in the family in the past few months - so might be a couple years before I change anything. Which may be perfect - assuming Apple and Verizon have a second gen LTE iPhone in late 2012 or early 2013 -I would have to give it a serious look.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    In Sweden carrier Telia offers 30 GB a month for about 72 dollars. Download speeds are around 25 megabits/sec.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    I was on the Verizon site checking the two modem options and saw this note: Not MAC OS compatible at launch

Once again we have to wait for compatibility....