In battle of iPad vs. Android-based Galaxy Tab, 85% prefer Apple

245678

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 160
    I agree with previous posters -- at 65, this should be called a focus group, not a survey. But this isn't meaningless. Unless the analyst made an effort to select people he thought would prefer the iPad (unlikely and hard to do anyway), the basic message is believable -- most people prefer the iPad.



    Anyone who's held both in their hands wouldn't be surprised by this anyway. One's clunky, one's not. List the features all you want, usability is the most important factor.



    In my girlfriend's words when she saw the Galaxy for the first time (having played with the iPad on several occasions), "wow, that's an iPad competitor? that thing looks like it sucks." Haha.
  • Reply 22 of 160
    News just in: 55.25 people like the iPad.



    I asked myself if I like the iPad. I said yes. According to my brilliant, impartial and thoroughly researched survey: 100% of people prefer the iPad.
  • Reply 23 of 160
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    AI has stooped to a serious new low.
  • Reply 24 of 160
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    65 is a small number, but it appears that even with this number, the results are significant.



    With a sample of 65, the error margin is +/- 12%.

    http://www.raosoft.com/samplesize.html



    So we know that somewhere between 73% and 97% prefer the iPad (given a certain probability). That's a meaningful result, even with the large error margin.



    If they had chosen a larger sample, the error margin would have been smaller, but the result wouldn't have been different - the iPad wins by a wide margin.



    The real problem is not the size of the sample, but how representative it is. For example, if they sampled a group of people coming out of the Apple Store, the answer would have been very different than if they sampled people coming out of 'Geeks 'R Us'. Particularly with these small samples, you have to be VERY careful to avoid sample bias.



    It's really not surprising you're buying into this crap and justifying this article.



    What was their sound measurement again? Oh right, asking how much a 7" tablet costs vs a 10".



    I mean what absolute CRAP.
  • Reply 25 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gadgetoid View Post


    News just in: 55.25 people like the iPad.



    I asked myself if I like the iPad. I said yes. According to my brilliant, impartial and thoroughly researched survey: 100% of people prefer the iPad.



    I did a independent study with a similar sized survey group, which fully support your results!
  • Reply 26 of 160
    Munster predicts Apple will sell 13 million in 2010(available for 9 months)

    And he thinks they will only sell 23 million in 2011?



    The thing with the iPad is that most people don't think they need/want one until they actually experience it. Apple has deployed 13 million iPads into the population as these iPads are used at homes, schools, work, planes, coffee shops, etc. they will be selling themselves.



    Also don't ignore the halo effect. Most iPad owners I know already have an iPhone. There are lots of Verizon customers who are waiting for the iPhone because they have already been sold on the product. Once they get an iPhone they will be twice as likely to then get an iPad.



    My prediction is Apple will sell 30-40 million iPads in 2011.
  • Reply 27 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheShepherd View Post


    Survey of 65 people? Munster is making up stories now, what a guy



    Exactly.... 65!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's no statistal poll by a long shot... it's just for headlines... shame on AppleInsider for posting such crap...



    shame shame shame!!!!



    Shit, we all love Apple.... but this is just stupid.



  • Reply 28 of 160
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RayInHou View Post


    Exactly.... 65!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's no statistal poll by a long shot... it's just for headlines... shame on AppleInsider for posting such crap...



    shame shame shame!!!!



    Shit, we all love Apple.... but this is just stupid.







    Well Posted... Enough Said!
  • Reply 29 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post


    AI has stooped to a serious new low.



    You haven't been here very long have you?
  • Reply 30 of 160
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 7,162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post


    Wow! 65! I feel really good about that sample being representative of the BILLIONS of people on the planet.



    I am a rabid, Kool Aid drinking, RDF basking, Apple fanboi lemming and even I think this is a steaming pile of monkey poop.
  • Reply 31 of 160
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post


    Great points, and by the way i love that link. However, I would call a 73% to 97% range pathetic for any meaningful conclusions. On your point of representative sample ... isn't the point of this type of logic not to be representative, but totally random? I guess the answer to this question is how you define the population, which the article does not mention.



    Sorry, but a 73-97% range is sufficient for what the survey wants to show. People overwhelmingly prefer the iPad to the Tab.



    You're confused about methodology. If you're trying to predict the behavior of the entire population, then the sample selected must be representative of the entire population. That usually means it should be random, but not necessarily.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post


    It's really not surprising you're buying into this crap and justifying this article.



    It's really not surprising that you launch into irrelevant ad-hominem attacks rather than discussing it rationally as I tried to do. You're unable to refute the information I provided, so you simply attack with inane, irrelevant comments. Typical for you.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post


    What was their sound measurement again? Oh right, asking how much a 7" tablet costs vs a 10".



    Thanks for showing that you can't even comprehend what the discussion is about.



    They both COST about the same ($629 vs. $599). Consumers believe the iPad is WORTH far more ($417 vs $283).



    If anything, your size argument simply suggests that the Tab is a rip-off since it costs about the same and only has 1/2 the screen area.
  • Reply 32 of 160
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 1,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    65 is a small number, but it appears that even with this number, the results are significant.



    With a sample of 65, the error margin is +/- 12%.

    http://www.raosoft.com/samplesize.html



    So we know that somewhere between 73% and 97% prefer the iPad (given a certain probability). That's a meaningful result, even with the large error margin.



    If they had chosen a larger sample, the error margin would have been smaller, but the result wouldn't have been different - the iPad wins by a wide margin.



    The real problem is not the size of the sample, but how representative it is. For example, if they sampled a group of people coming out of the Apple Store, the answer would have been very different than if they sampled people coming out of 'Geeks 'R Us'. Particularly with these small samples, you have to be VERY careful to avoid sample bias.



    Nice post! Well said...
  • Reply 33 of 160
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post


    One of them was DaHarder...



    Yea, and his family "bought 3 each" .....
  • Reply 34 of 160
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post


    You haven't been here very long have you?



    I've been reading AI articles a few years now. I've seen them post some serious crap, but this is bad.



    It would be a start to at least change the title. Maybe something like "Survey of 65 people reveal tablets are undervalued."
  • Reply 35 of 160
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post


    AI has stooped to a serious new low.



    Well, they could raise the bar by deleting 1475 "selected posts". ....
  • Reply 36 of 160
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post


    One of them was DaHarder...



    I bet he forged his IP address 9 times.
  • Reply 37 of 160
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    Thanks for showing that you can't even comprehend what the discussion is about.



    They both COST about the same ($629 vs. $599). Consumers believe the iPad is WORTH far more ($417 vs $283).



    If anything, your size argument simply suggests that the Tab is a rip-off since it costs about the same and only has 1/2 the screen area.



    The discussion is about 65 people who thought both tablets were worth a lot less than they actually are, meaning they don't have a clue what they're talking about, so naturally they said the SMALLER tablet must cost less.



    You tried to use science to justify nonsense!



    BTW, "size argument simply suggests that the Tab is a rip-off"??

    Actually, it's to show that they have no clue what they're talking about, and put screen size ahead of system specs.



    There's a reason I had you on my ignore list. I'm reminded instantly why.
  • Reply 38 of 160
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post


    Yea, and his family "bought 3 each" .....



    Along with a couple of iPads and NOOKcolors...







    Note: Try Not To Be Envious - Hater!
  • Reply 39 of 160
    Engadget has an article on this as well, including pointing out Munster's shenanigans.



    http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/02/5...he-galaxy-tab/
  • Reply 40 of 160
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post


    Well, they could raise the bar by deleting 1475 "selected posts". ....



    OR, they could hold some journalistic integrity around here, especially since they are linked to through Google News.
Sign In or Register to comment.