sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

New address: 1 Mobius Strip.

That's certainly a new (old) twist.
  • Reply 22 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The concept has a ring of Disney about it, especially the subterranean access and emphasis on the looks above ground. I wonder if there will be a public element to this. It would be nice to visit Apple City, maybe a ride or two for us big kids

The Disney feel struck me immediately too and made me smile given Jobs role at Disney itself. Apple is one of the few business entities carrying the design world utopia banner that had been Walts way back in the early sixties. My young mind really latched onto those images but it all fizzled in the low-brow, oil crisis, downer seventies ... Still, this should be a beautiful project, pleasant place to work and hopefully an renewable energy showcase.

One thing for sure, in Redmond, Microsoft has made very mediocre architectural choices at their ballooning campus over the years and they never appeared to have a master plan. They probably do but one would never know from looking. Recent buildings make nods to Northwest ski lodge aesthetics with faux stonework veneers and such, still blah. A few years back they started their own regional transit service that ferries workers to the campus in variously sized highly wired buses from wherever they live. That last one is their single best urban design move.
  • Reply 23 of 88
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

IM Pei is completely form over function. Thank God Lord Foster's apparently been tipped for this and not that hack.

There is a place for form over function, but in this case a balance was reached. Russell Johnson was a brilliant acoustic engineer and designer. Read a little about the Meyerson and you will see what I mean. As for Pei's work the building is nice and it functions as a concert hall so I don't see your point.
  • Reply 24 of 88
    While I really like Foster's stuff, it seems like a very odd selection for Apple. Cupertino isn't exactly a high-rise town, and their iconic achievements are much more in that arena.

(Well, after looking at the Madrid High Court campus, I guess I should eat those words. Beautiful building.)
  • Reply 25 of 88
    most of fosters work is 'bucky fuller builds a green house'
  • Reply 26 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

While I really like Foster's stuff, it seems like a very odd selection for Apple. Cupertino isn't exactly a high-rise town, and their iconic achievements are much more in that arena.

foster appears to give no consideration to the location and how his design integrates or not. look at some of those grotesque things he has planted. no sense of nature.

actually i think he is a good fit for apple.
  • Reply 27 of 88
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

most of fosters work is 'bucky fuller builds a green house'

so? Buckminster Fuller had the most "Think Different" style architecture of his time, and Apple seems to like Glass houses, no?

Foster is a great choice. i hope our firm can pick up the construction documents for them.
  • Reply 28 of 88
    I was hoping for Santiago Calatrava. His aesthetic IMHO is more inline with Apple's.
  • Reply 29 of 88
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

http://www.fosterandpartners.com/

Beautiful architecture but their website uses Flash - I'm sure Apple will 'fix that issue' for them whilst the new HQ takes shape!
  • Reply 30 of 88
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    What Tunnel? Underground Tunnel going between New and Old Campus? Or do tunnel means different thing in this context?
  • Reply 31 of 88
    What happens inside a building is what matters. Outside is irrelevant.
  • Reply 32 of 88
    (Well, after looking at the Madrid High Court campus, I guess I should eat those words. Beautiful building.)[/QUOTE]

Compare building skin to the Seattle Central Library by REM Koolhaas ... a wonderful forward looking building that is also highly functional and humanistic ...

Actually, with a name like that, I wonder if Koolhaas was on the shortlist.
  • Reply 33 of 88
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

In what way is Norman Foster from the past? Does his age alone or his recent work suggest this?

He thinks it's Norman Rockwell. Or...he doesn't trust anybody over 30.
  • Reply 34 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Sweet! Looking at that map, I?m thinking that ?1 Pruneridge Drive? has a much better ring to it than ?1 Infinite Loop.?

(Or they?ll just turn Infinite Loop into one of those crazy streets in two parts that don?t connect.)

I like the all-green idea, but if I worked there, I?d enjoy stepping outside between buildings more than going through tunnels.

Just make the parking garages under ground. I hate how large parking lots ruin great architecture and landscaping.
  • Reply 35 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

What Tunnel? Underground Tunnel going between New and Old Campus? Or do tunnel means different thing in this context?

from 9to5mac

"The architect has some pretty incredible plans, including an underground tunnel system linking the two campuses (called it). In fact, the entire road transportation system will operate through a network of tunnels (tubes?) that will clear the surface areas for green.? according to the report."
  • Reply 36 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

It would be like when Bart Simpson's class took a tour of the box factory, only cool.

I want to go to the "Build Your Own Mac Pro" exhibit!! Can we, please?? I'll even buy the over-priced hotdogs and bottled water!
  • Reply 37 of 88
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ard Buijsen View Post

Such a shame that a company of the future choses an architect from the past.

Just as they've used an operating system from the past (UNIX) to make great products for now and the future.
  • Reply 38 of 88
    i usually can't stand the people who nit-pick the grammar of stories here, but as an architect i know for certain that Foster + Partners are not BUILDING the campus - they're designing it, so this headline is wrong.

may seem like a little thing, but it's as big as "Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in China"
  • Reply 39 of 88
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Yeah who ever is the lead architect on this will have a lot of "fun" working with Steve. I.M. Pei and Russell Johnson famously butted heads over the design and acoustic engineering of the Meyerson Symphony hall in Dallas. Both were very strong willed and were unwilling to compromise. Somehow they worked it out because the building is beautiful and has some of the best acoustic properties of any concert hall in the world.

I imagine Jobs and "Architect X" will have a few disagreements.

Yes, because that's the sign of a true creative process that people actually care about. Can't wait to see the outcome.
  • Reply 40 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UltimateFlank View Post

I want to go to the "Build Your Own Mac Pro" exhibit!! Can we, please?? I'll even buy the over-priced hotdogs and bottled water!

you mean tofu dogs