Android activation pace hits a plateau below Apple's iOS

Comments

• Reply 21 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Not Unlike Myself View Post

Got a brand new Droid X. 3 weeks later. Hating it.

A million complaints... and yet... it's free to me because of my employer, so where does that leave me?

Your problem is you don't have skin in the game. When you fork out your own money for something and are disappointed you may be tempted to forgive its inadequacies to avoid looking like you made a bad choice. When you get it free and it sucks you're free to be honest.
  • Reply 22 of 82
    SJ said in October on the earnings call " Apple has activated around 275,000 iOS devices per day on average for the past 30 days with a peak of almost 300,000 iOS devices per day on a few of those days."
  • Reply 23 of 82
    Wait until Verizon iPhone come, and we'll see Android flooding ebay.
  • Reply 24 of 82
    So, big deal, everyone who runs Linux on their home computers now also has a Netbook and an Android phone. Next they'll be claiming phenomenal growth for Android tablets...
  • Reply 25 of 82
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bstring View Post

You're right, the point of this post is that Android activations have grown by only 8% since August. He is comparing current Android activations with old IOS stats from September. The most current numbers I have found for IOS, the Neilsen link, show IOS in decline while Android shows strong growth. So, this post leaves the unwitting reader with the impression that IOS is growing faster and this is simply not the case based on the last study. Without a new study, it's hard to conclude anything based on the number provided by google at a press conference.

"The most popular smartphones are the Apple iPhone and RIM Blackberry..."

"Apple’s iPhone and devices with the Android operating system were the “most desired” among likely smartphone upgraders, with Apple showing a slight lead among those age 55+ , 18 to 24, and 25 to 34."

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/...ttle-heats-up/

"Although the top three worldwide mobile device manufacturers Nokia, Samsung and LG remained the same – albeit with reduced market share - the third quarter saw Apple rise into the top five manufacturers, surpassing RIM for fourth place (see Table 1)."

"Apple delivered a stellar performance in the third quarter of 2010, selling 13.5 million units. It could have sold more but for its ongoing supply constraints and is now in fourth place worldwide. The iPhone is sold in 89 countries through 166 CSPs. Apple's sales in Europe, Asia and Japan, more than doubled from the third quarter of 2009 and sales in Western Europe delivered Apple the third spot in the regional ranking. While Apple remains focused on consumers, enterprise adoption of the iPhone and iPad has grown."

Apple went from 2.3$ share in 3Q2009 to 3.2% share in 3Q2010.

Note that Nokia, Samsung and LG all saw share losses in 2010. The big winner was "other".

http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=1466313

"Gartner estimates Android phones accounted for 75 percent to 80 percent of Verizon Wireless's smartphone trade in the third quarter of 2010. Manufacturers such as Samsung continued to launch high-end devices like the Galaxy S. But manufacturers also launched Android devices at lower prices to target different consumer segments. For example, ZTE launched a sub-£100 Android phone with Orange in the prepay U.K. market. For its part, Google is maintaining a fast pace of OS updates. Each version brings new features and polish to Android, and the level of innovation is a major differentiator.

Apple performed extremely well thanks to the iPhone 4. Relationships with multiple CSPs gave Apple wider channel reach internationally, and the strong ecosystem around iTunes and the App Store continued to help Apple dominate. Apple's share of the smartphone market surpassed RIM in North America to put it second behind Android. In Western Europe, iPhone sales doubled year-on-year, making Apple the third-largest vendor behind Nokia and Samsung in the overall devices market."

Funny decline. It lost 1 percentage point in smartphone sales in 2010. Android was, of course, the big winner going from 3.5% to 25.5%. But Apple wasn't the big loser in that exchange...it was everyone else that took it in the shorts.

What the article is saying is that Android's 800% increase has leveled off. Which isn't unexpected given that 800% increase isn't sustainable. Likewise Apple's original hefty share growth rate was unsustainable. If the iPhone appears on Verizon I expect that 75-80% of Verizon smartphone sales percentage for Android to drop significantly.

Also expect WP7 to staunch WM6 losses and perhaps get MS share back into the 5%+ range. Where is it going to take that share from? It isn't likely iOS so it likely will come at the expense of Symbian and Android. Especially with WP7 phones coming from the same manufacturers as Android phones.

Gartner's conclusion?

“Apple's dramatic expansion of iOS with the iPad and the continuing success of the iPod Touch are important sales achievements in their own right. But more importantly they contribute to the strength of Apple's ecosystem and the iPhone in a way that smartphone-only manufacturers cannot compete with,” Ms. Milanesi said. “To a developer, the iPod Touch and iPhone (and to a lesser extent the iPad) are effectively the same device and a single market opportunity. While Android is increasingly available on media tablets and media players like the Galaxy Player, it lags far behind iOS's multi-device presence. Apple claims it is activating around 275,000 iOS devices per day on average — that's a compelling market for any developer. And developers' applications in turn attract users.”
  • Reply 26 of 82
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Looks like Androids growth is slowing down. Does this data represent the world or only U.S?
  • Reply 27 of 82
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I thought the main reason platform sales numbers are important is for developers deciding which to develop for. But these days we have more direct data in terms of App Store sales. Shouldn't they be comparing those instead?
  • Reply 28 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

I almost feel bad for android when IOS hits Verizon wireless.

Dan you should have included the information from Monday's Wall Street Journal blog. Verizon is already smarting from the effect of iPhone 4 sales at AT&T which is causing Verizon churn. WSJ mentions Droid has lost so much of its luster on Verizon that they are floating the possibility Verizon will hammer out an exclusive deal with Apple to lock the iPhone out of Sprint and T-Mobile in the states.

I spilled my coffee on reading that I was so shocked at that new evidence Android was not doing all that well.

I have always said that with the exception of a few rare pieces of exceptional hardware that if you had an Android you probably had a genuine piece of 2010 smart phone crap the Chinese shoved out the door and marketed to unsuspecting consumers.

Research shows very few would ever buy another Android based on their current experience.
  • Reply 29 of 82
    junkiejunkie Posts: 122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Fortunately you're not running Apple. Apple's rollouts are strategic and in the best interest of the company. They couldn't possibly meet demand to expand their penetration more rapidly so they take a very intelligent and strategic approach to their rollouts and partnerships while maintaining high demand for those that do carry the iPhone, and a high level of anticipation for the customers of the carriers that don't.

Although heavily criticized for their AT&T exclusive deal, people seem to forget, or not realize, that by doing what they did with AT&T they wrestled control from the carrier for the device - they broke the mold that now allows all the others to jump into the market. However, Android is an exception to this as the carriers are doing all they can to make their iterations of Android unique and different which is not necessarily in the best interest of the consumer. Nor is their ability to control the timing of OS upgrades / improvements in this heavily fragmented OS.

The iPhone has been out for three years. Apple should be able to meet any demand that exists by now. If they can't, that is called mismanagement.

I think you are believing false hype. Apple did not change that much in terms of wrestling the control from the carrier. There were smart phone devices on the market already that carriers let ship as they were - the Palm Treo's being among them. Apple did start with a unique deal with ATT but by the time the 3G was shipped they had pretty much the same terms as every other phone being sold. It's just not the case that the terms of the market for phones were rewritten and even today, clearly, ATT exerts control over what happens on iPhones. Think tethering and the delay for MMS.

In any case, after the first year Apple could have gotten whatever terms it wanted from other carriers. They did not need to wait till 2011 to ship to their second US carrier - if they even do that. Waiting this long was not about control of the device - there is no basis to think that, it was about the level of subsidy that ATT was ready to pay to keep things exclusive - that margin was what Apple opted for over market-share.

Not everything Apple does is right. It's a good company with great products but they can and do f things up from time to time. Get over it.
  • Reply 30 of 82
    junkiejunkie Posts: 122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

And crazy policies? Please. Again, you have no clue. Just look at the market and see which developers are really being successful on what platform.

The crazy policies were about blocking Google Voice and other apps, having very restrictive terms in how a native app could be developed, not allowing developers to communicate with each other. That stuff.

They say success hides problems. It is because when some aspects of something work well it becomes hard to criticize things. But actually, you want to still pay attention to problems because that is what keeps you competitive. So don't freak out and assume that because some aspects of something work well that people who think it could be better are wrong. They actually may be indicating the next wave of improvements that are needed.
  • Reply 31 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

What the article is saying is that Android's 800% increase has leveled off. Which isn't unexpected given that 800% increase isn't sustainable. Likewise Apple's original hefty share growth rate was unsustainable. If the iPhone appears on Verizon I expect that 75-80% of Verizon smartphone sales percentage for Android to drop significantly.

The next few quarters will be interesting. For Verizon, I'd expect 5-10% attrition (android to iphone) over six months.
  • Reply 32 of 82
    LOL...does this mean they ran out of l33t haXXX0rz nerds to sell this to? Now they have to convince people who don't know what "root" means to buy one.
  • Reply 33 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iOS vs Android activations

Speaking at Apple's iPod event in early September, Steve Jobs took issue with Google's activation numbers. Recapping iOS device sales at the event, Jobs told the audience, "People are throwing around a lot of numbers as to how many of their operating systems they're activating per day. We are activating a little over 230,000 iOS devices per day. And that's new activations."

Taking a shot at Google, Jobs added, "we think that some of our friends are counting upgrades in their numbers. If we counted upgrades in our numbers, they'd be way higher than 230,000. But we think the most appropriate way to count them is just new activations."

Google responded by saying that its reported Android activation numbers "do not include upgrades and are, in fact, only a portion of the Android devices in the market, since we only include devices that have Google services."

Google's latest December number of around 214,000 daily activations is not only below Apple's figures from September, but also only slightly better than it had claimed back in August, despite a new flurry of Android smartphones and new tablets such as the Samsung Galaxy Tab.

Update: Jobs updated Apple's activation figures in mid October during the company's quarterly earnings conference call, reporting that the company was activating 270,000 iOS devices per day on average, hitting occasional daily peaks of 300,000.

There are only few Android phones that are comparable to iPhone 3GS, e.g. Droid, Xperia, HTC 4G, etc. But when comparing activations, Android counts everything including crappy Chinese phones/tablets that ship with 1.6.
  • Reply 34 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by junkie View Post

The crazy policies were about blocking Google Voice and other apps, having very restrictive terms in how a native app could be developed, not allowing developers to communicate with each other. That stuff.

They say success hides problems. It is because when some aspects of something work well it becomes hard to criticize things. But actually, you want to still pay attention to problems because that is what keeps you competitive. So don't freak out and assume that because some aspects of something work well that people who think it could be better are wrong. They actually may be indicating the next wave of improvements that are needed.

Very well put. The crazy policies are what drove me away and toward Android... and ultimately away from all other apple products. For 15 years I was a strong proponent, an evangelist, but no longer. I still follow apple news and I think policies will gradually change as they have to a point where the attraction comes back.
  • Reply 35 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4phun View Post

Research shows very few would ever buy another Android based on their current experience.

Who's research? A very recent study by ChangeWave Research puts Android device satisfaction within a few percentages of iOS. Motorola being #2 of all companies.
  • Reply 36 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

You are arguing apples and oranges.... Also, either you started with a typo or your totally trolling. (iOS market percentage is levelling off)

I agree about apples and oranges, but not the typo. While Apple's product trademarks call for a lower-case "i" at the beginnings of their names, English calls for capital letters at the beginnings of sentences. I don't care how cool these gadgets are (and, yeah, they're pretty cool), or how influential Apple aesthetics are at the moment; they do not trump centuries of linguistic construction which has a pretty vital purpose: to alert readers to a new chunk of thought. IPhones and iOS changed many rules, but not that one.

Also, just for the record: "You're totally trolling," not "your."
  • Reply 37 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cincytee View Post

I agree about apples and oranges, but not the typo. While Apple's product trademarks call for a lower-case "i" at the beginnings of their names, English calls for capital letters at the beginnings of sentences. I don't care how cool these gadgets are (and, yeah, they're pretty cool), or how influential Apple aesthetics are at the moment; they do not trump centuries of linguistic construction which has a pretty vital purpose: to alert readers to a new chunk of thought. IPhones and iOS changed many rules, but not that one.

Those who nitpick the grammar of others need to be really sure they are above reproach themselves or they may end up looking a bit foolish. I am referring to your use of the semicolon. It just doesn't seem right to me. Of course it could have been a typo. But then so could your target's "your."

Apple's "i" is part of a proper name. It just looks silly as IPhone or IMac in a headline or even the start of a sentence. Because of typography the eye wants to see it as "L" Phone. Rules of punctuation and grammar do change with usage over time, usually for the sake of clarity and intelligibility. I think this one is a good candidate. Time will tell. How would you start a sentence with the name of the poet e.e. cummings? "E. e. cummings . . . ? Seems a little silly following the rules there, doesn't it? I think some latitude is in order in these cases.
  • Reply 38 of 82
    irontedironted Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cincytee View Post

I think this guy is a grammar nuts, (or nut?)
  • Reply 39 of 82
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by junkie View Post

I really hope Apple opens up and offers the iPhone to all carriers worldwide. if they are going to compete for market-share they should address every audience and not make arbitrary restrictions to growth.

I also think to better compete with Android Apple should be will to offer a larger form factor - bigger screen. Maybe it is not Job's preference but the larger screen do seem attractive.

You still don't get it! Apple isn't into market share numbers. Apple is all about customer satisfaction and profits, they go hand in hand.
  • Reply 40 of 82
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    That's one hell of a misleading graph.

Since Nokia doesn't publish per month data, I assume that Daniel took Nokia's Q3 numbers and divided them equally between the three months. With no other data points on the graph, it looks like Nokia's activations are remaining level. However, from historical data, we know that this is not the case and that Nokia's smartphone business is expanding at about industry average (~45% YoY).

Essentially, Daniel has tried to extrapolate a trend from a single data point.

I think liberal art majors should be banned from doing any kind of data analysis.