Google VP shows off prototype Android-based Motorola tablet

Comments

• Reply 41 of 83
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

So to answer your question, you would simply press the "Home" button.

but you still need a gesture to make it show, or will it show automatically when you finger hovering over it?

I might sound like cherry-picking but I hate a design just for a sake of being cute. But like you said, this is only a preview so we need more informations about it.
  • Reply 42 of 83
    Vaporware !

As usual, showing something, not telling when it will ships, and bitching everybody will not work.

Show us a real product and we will compare it to the iPad

Google is like Microsoft in the 90's and IBM in the 60's.

Vaporware
  • Reply 43 of 83
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Is that a fragmentation?

Btw, I don't have "much" problem with fragmentation. I wouldn't imagine myself replacing phone that often but I would be pissed if a main function of a phone and a tablet fragmented.

Quote:

Yes and no. Yes in that it is different (I have no idea why) in placement. No in that it's always the same four buttons and they all do the same four functions (default) on every phone.

I?d say it falls squarely under consistency. This sort of erratic nature between devices typically doesn?t site well with consumers, which may be a reason why the iPhone has more repeat business and more loyal users. Same goes for the Android OS fragmentation (which trollish posters say Apple is just as guilty of simply by offering a yearly update to the HW and OS).

DaHarder is correct in that all Android phones are eligible for all Android updates, but eligible merely means they could be updated if the vendor cared. Historically vendors are showing very little interest in giving older HW updates and even the ones that get updates only seem to get them months after the update hits for other devices.

For instance, the Nexus S has v2.3 and will be released in mid-December, but how long will it be before other devices, even from that same vendor, will get version 2.3. That isn?t a way to build customer confidence.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by papyrus100 View Post

Vaporware !

As usual, showing something, not telling when it will ships, and bitching everybody will not work.

Show us a real product and we will compare it to the iPad

Google is like Microsoft in the 90's and IBM in the 60's.

Vaporware

Since it was a demo, not a flashy animation video I think it?s safe to say it?s not vapourware.
  • Reply 44 of 83
    Quote:

but you still need a gesture to make it show, or will it show automatically when you finger hovering over it?

I might sound like cherry-picking but I hate a design just for a sake of being cute. But like you said, this is only a preview so we need more informations about it.

On the current phones, they light up when:

1. You wake the screen up

2. You touch a button directly or in the general area

They stay lit for an amount of time defined by the user. You can still make them out when they are not lit. The glowing just makes them more pronounced.
  • Reply 45 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Competition... Hmmm, hmmm good. Your move Apple.

how is this competition? it is not out yet... by the time Gingerbread, Frosted Flakes or snacky cakes comes out apple will be launching the iPad2.

so IT MIGHT be released in time to COMPETE with the iPAD 2....

until then...it's competing with the vapourware.
  • Reply 46 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I?d say it falls squarely under consistency. This sort of erratic nature between devices typically doesn?t site well with consumers, which may be a reason why the iPhone has more repeat business and more loyal users. Same goes for the Android OS fragmentation (which trollish posters say Apple is just as guilty of simply by offering a yearly update to the HW and OS).

I'll agree on the consistency part. I have no idea why it's being varied so much between manufacturers and even within the same company.

However, at least it's the exact same four buttons being used. It did take my brain a day or two to overwrite my muscle memory from the button placement between the Droid and the X, but it wasn't a completely impossible task.

Quote:

Since it was a demo, not a flashy animation video I think it?s safe to say it?s not vapourware.

A Moto tablet under the name of "Stingray" was also found in Verizon's future device release plan. I think it's safe to say that this tablet is indeed coming.
  • Reply 47 of 83
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Most likely Verizon's Motorola 10 inch Stingray featuring a dual-core Terga 2 processor, 1gb RAM, crazy fast GPU, and all that Android Honeycomb goodness.

That's sort of like, "all that Windows goodness," right?
  • Reply 48 of 83
    Quote:

On the current phones, they light up when:

1. You wake the screen up

2. You touch a button directly or in the general area

They stay lit for an amount of time defined by the user. You can still make them out when they are not lit. The glowing just makes them more pronounced.

Hmm... I almost swear the Galaxy Tab I played with has "physical" buttons. What you describe doesn't sound "physical" at all.
  • Reply 49 of 83
    Android barely cuts it as a smartphone OS, what makes anyone think it'll work right on a tablet? Google still has a long way to go, that's apparent.

Had a chance to play with an HTC Desire Z recently, for about an hour. Now I know why the only iPhone-Killer is .... the next iPhone.
  • Reply 50 of 83
    Quote:

Hmm... I almost swear the Galaxy Tab I played with has "physical" buttons. What you describe doesn't sound "physical" at all.

Actually, what you see on the Galaxy Tab is exactly what I'm talking about. Those aren't "physical" buttons in the traditional sense. A traditional button requires a moving part to make contact with a circuit under the button when you press down on it, completing the circuit and thus registering a press.

Capacitive buttons works the same way as the screen in principle. The circuit is raised to the surface of the device and it's the electrical conductivity of your finger that completes it. So simply touching the surface causes the device to register that you touched it.

It eliminates the "wear and tear" factor but also removes that familiar tactile response of pressing a button.
  • Reply 51 of 83
    Quote:

Actually, what you see on the Galaxy Tab is exactly what I'm talking about. Those aren't "physical" buttons in the traditional sense. A traditional button requires a moving part to make contact with a circuit under the button when you press down on it, completing the circuit and thus registering a press.

Capacitive buttons works the same way as the screen in principle. The circuit is raised to the surface of the device and it's the electrical conductivity of your finger that completes it. So simply touching the surface causes the device to register that you touched it.

It eliminates the "wear and tear" factor but also removes that familiar tactile response of pressing a button.

There have been buttons without moving parts around for years, for example, in elevators. I don't think moving parts are necessary to be considered a physical button, or at this date, even to be considered traditional.
  • Reply 52 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Android barely cuts it as a smartphone OS, what makes anyone think it'll work right on a tablet? Google still has a long way to go, that's apparent.

Had a chance to play with an HTC Desire Z recently, for about an hour. Now I know why the only iPhone-Killer is .... the next iPhone.

You know what? I think Ballmer said the exact same thing when Apple planned to release their own phone.

Is that you Ballmer?!
  • Reply 53 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Competition... Hmmm, hmmm good. Your move Apple.

Competition is, in and of itself, neither good nor bad. It can lead to results that are positive or negative. It is neither a necessary nor a sufficient cause of progress or "good".
  • Reply 54 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

There have been buttons without moving parts around for years, for example, in elevators. I don't think moving parts are necessary to be considered a physical button, or at this date, even to be considered traditional.

I only called them "traditional" for the sake of differentiating between the two.
  • Reply 55 of 83
    Quote:

Actually, what you see on the Galaxy Tab is exactly what I'm talking about.

Ah.. A memory must be playing trick on me. So The icon is just be hidden instead of being shown like the Tab. I see.
  • Reply 56 of 83
    Quote:

You know what? I think Ballmer said the exact same thing when Apple planned to release their own phone.

Is that you Ballmer?!

You know what? I don't think he did.
  • Reply 57 of 83
    Quote:

I only called them "traditional" for the sake of differentiating between the two.

No, I think you were trying to redefine 'physical', 'button' and 'traditional' so as to pretend there weren't physical buttons.
  • Reply 58 of 83
    Quote:

You know what? I don't think he did.

I do believe his quote was:

"There?s no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance.?

You know what? This sounds very similar to what Quadra is saying. That an Android tablet will fail.
  • Reply 59 of 83
    Quote:

No, I think you were trying to redefine 'physical', 'button' and 'traditional' so as to pretend there weren't physical buttons.

I hate to turn things personal, but it just seems like you're arguing for the sake of arguing against me at this point.

"Pretend there weren't physical buttons" where? On the Moto tablet shown or in life in general?
  • Reply 60 of 83
    Quote:

I do believe his quote was:

"There?s no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance.?

You know what? This sounds very similar to what Quadra is saying. That an Android tablet will fail.

He said they have a long way to go, which they do. It's also very different from what Ballmer said