Foxconn to ship next-gen iPad in next 100 days

245

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 88
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member
    Well, it's bound to have.



    - At least a front facing camera for FaceTime although 2 is more likely so it doesn't look underspeced by comparison.



    - Faster custom processor now dual-cores are available on the architecture, Ram at least doubled to 512mb.
  • Reply 22 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post


    Dude that's nothing - my sources tell me the entire Mac line will be updated... in the next 12 months.



    Hahaha my sources say the same.
  • Reply 23 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post


    wow. i mean yeah, it will likely have something unexpected, but seriously, you picked the two least likely things the ipad will ever have



    a blu ray player in an ipad? seriously?



    I can only assume he was having a joke!
  • Reply 24 of 88
    Fantastic news! I hope it's true!
  • Reply 25 of 88
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,022member
    Just a question. Do you think Apple are relying on people to undertake a two year upgrade cycle on iPad like they typically do for phones? It would seem to me the iPad updates would be purchased on a less frequent basis, sitting somewhere between phone and computers. I had my Macbook for 4 years before upgrading.



    I guess what I'm asking, is that after the initial growth curve for iPad (which we're still in) is the rate of uptake going to be sustained at a similar level to that of iphones and ipod touches?
  • Reply 26 of 88
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post


    Just a question. Do you think Apple are relying on people to undertake a two year upgrade cycle on iPad like they typically do for phones? It would seem to me the iPad updates would be purchased on a less frequent basis, sitting somewhere between phone and computers. I had my Macbook for 4 years before upgrading.



    I guess what I'm asking, is that after the initial growth curve for iPad (which we're still in) is the rate of uptake going to be sustained at a similar level to that of iphones and ipod touches?



    Yup I think iPad is on a one- or two-yearly cycle, being more of a very new kind of device than a computer. Doesn't matter anyways because in 2011 and 2012 iPhone 4/5/6 and iPad 2/3 is going to be mostly to new users in currently underserved markets.
  • Reply 27 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post


    I passed on the 1st gen. Hope there is something compelling with the 2nd.



    Compelling ? What the heck are you blabbing about ?
  • Reply 28 of 88
    jdwjdw Posts: 800member
    I honestly don't care "when" it comes out, so long as it has dual cameras and a built-in SD card slot!
  • Reply 29 of 88
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Can someone please explain to me what's wrong with the current iPad display - 1024 x 768 is more pixels than the 17 inch displays of a few years ago, crammed into a (less than) 10" display. It's beautiful, I don't hold it an inch from my face and everything displayed on it looks beautiful.



    By the way - I call foul on this story, This is competitors trying to hurt holiday sales for Apple. People are less likely to buy at christmas if the new device is only 'eight weeks' away. Apple will NEVER have a product cycle of less than twelve months.
  • Reply 30 of 88
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JDW View Post


    I honestly don't care "when" it comes out, so long as it has dual cameras and a built-in SD card slot!



    I'm guessing you've never used/held one - how/why on earth would you want to take a photograph with this form factor - this is not a camera, it's a tablet and completely unsuited for photography. An SD card slot would be nice, but the camera connection kit sorts that requirement whenever the rare occasion i need to plug in a card.
  • Reply 31 of 88
    The update will be welcome.



    The BB tablet looked like it ran about twice as fast as the current iPad, and I doubt that the software had anything to do with it.
  • Reply 32 of 88
    I hoping for USB...
  • Reply 33 of 88
    There was a mockup of a MacBook Pro posted a while back that aimed to solve the "It's gotta have this or it's a deal-breaker for me" gripes that was well-done. Hopefully, somebody can do one for the iPad.



    • quad-core 2.6GHz CPU

    • Dual 10X zoom cameras with flash

    • 4 USB ports

    • 20 hour battery with solar changer

    • built-in projector

    • 12GB RAM

    • 1TB memory

    • 2 SD card readers (flush mounting)

    • FW 800 port

    • HDMI port

    • mini-display port

    • digital TV tuner with recording capability

    • AM/FM radio with automatic talk-radio channel muter

    • half the weight of the current model

    • twice the pixels

    • retractable keyboard

    • latte maker



    Did I forget anything?

  • Reply 34 of 88
    Now that that is done, I would like to see USB so that I can plug in my camera without the darned camera connector thingy that I often leave at home.



    A big thing I'd like to see is a more open architecture that would allow companies to make their devices link to the iPad/iPhone more easily.



    The one device I wish would sync data over is my Ketsrel weather meter. The developer of their apps said that Apple made it difficult for companies to make their devices work easily with the i-devices, and pointed out the lack of a plethora of these things. There are so many possibilities...
  • Reply 35 of 88
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    PFFT Only 12GB of RAM? And I sure hope that 1TB is SSD...



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post


    There was a mockup of a MacBook Pro posted a while back that aimed to solve the "It's gotta have this or it's a deal-breaker for me" gripes that was well-done. Hopefully, somebody can do one for the iPad.



    • quad-core 2.6GHz CPU

    • Dual 10X zoom cameras with flash

    • 4 USB ports

    • 20 hour battery with solar changer

    • built-in projector

    • 12GB RAM

    • 1TB memory

    • 2 SD card readers (flush mounting)

    • FW 800 port

    • HDMI port

    • mini-display port

    • digital TV tuner with recording capability

    • AM/FM radio with automatic talk-radio channel muter

    • half the weight of the current model

    • twice the pixels

    • retractable keyboard

    • latte maker



    Did I forget anything?





  • Reply 36 of 88
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post


    Now that that is done, I would like to see USB so that I can plug in my camera without the darned camera connector thingy that I often leave at home.



    A big thing I'd like to see is a more open architecture that would allow companies to make their devices link to the iPad/iPhone more easily.



    The one device I wish would sync data over is my Ketsrel weather meter. The developer of their apps said that Apple made it difficult for companies to make their devices work easily with the i-devices, and pointed out the lack of a plethora of these things. There are so many possibilities...



    So you can remember your camera, usb cable for the camera, but not leave one end of the USB cable attached the iPad adapter?



    I agree there are many possibilities and I don't want to get into the "media consumption" debate again, but this device was targeted at consumers for digital media consumption and light content creation. That it is being used for more is fantastic, but the tablet computer will take time to evolve and no doubt in a few years time we'll see a pro-tablet with all the features pro's want - in the meantime, I really don't think Apple have any issues with sales levels to worry about. And it's a shame "Ketsrel" don't have the technical skills to make their device work when so many other companies have done... Maybe it's time for them to make an investment in skills, rather than waiting for Apple to do their job for them.
  • Reply 37 of 88
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,414member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post


    I think I will wait til Feb to buy myself a Christmas present this year...



    I am the same ... I am sure Apple have their reasons but it has always puzzled me why new products emerge just after Christmas each year. I always visited the Mac World shows in San Francisco and remember well that was a massive to product time but now Apple doesn't have that annual event to take into account, I can't help but wonder why they don't move their refresh cycle back a month or two to coincide with the year's largest sales potential period, especially now they are so consumer oriented.
  • Reply 38 of 88
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post


    Personally, I Always skip 1st and 2nd generation products from Apple as I know that by the 3rd generation they really will have made a better product. I'm looking for a 3D Retina display, stereo speakers with built-in subwoofer to replace the current tinny sounding setup, at least 500GB of storage and the latest Intel chip from the MacBook Air - boy will this baby scream!



    Luckily there are enough mugs around to buy those early versions so that Apple actually sell enough to make it worthwhile to make the one I'm waiting for ...



    Don't hold your breath while you wait...
  • Reply 39 of 88
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post


    There was a mockup of a MacBook Pro posted a while back that aimed to solve the "It's gotta have this or it's a deal-breaker for me" gripes that was well-done. Hopefully, somebody can do one for the iPad.



    ? quad-core 2.6GHz CPU

    ? Dual 10X zoom cameras with flash

    ? 4 USB ports

    ? 20 hour battery with solar changer

    ? built-in projector

    ? 12GB RAM

    ? 1TB memory

    ? 2 SD card readers (flush mounting)

    ? FW 800 port

    ? HDMI port

    ? mini-display port

    ? digital TV tuner with recording capability

    ? AM/FM radio with automatic talk-radio channel muter

    ? half the weight of the current model

    ? twice the pixels

    ? retractable keyboard

    ? latte maker



    Did I forget anything?





    As you know, just a small one: anything remotely close to reality
  • Reply 40 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post


    Personally, I Always skip 1st and 2nd generation products from Apple as I know that by the 3rd generation they really will have made a better product. I'm looking for a 3D Retina display, stereo speakers with built-in subwoofer to replace the current tinny sounding setup, at least 500GB of storage and the latest Intel chip from the MacBook Air - boy will this baby scream!



    Luckily there are enough mugs around to buy those early versions so that Apple actually sell enough to make it worthwhile to make the one I'm waiting for ...



    And it should hover, so I don't have to hold it.
Sign In or Register to comment.