Apple rolling out 90-second iTunes song previews

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple has begun extending song previews in the iTunes Store to 90 seconds on select songs in the U.S. store.

Some songs on iTunes now offer 90-second previews for users of the U.S. iTunes Music Store. For instance, "Dark Fantasy" by Kanye West currently offers a 90-second preview in the U.S. iTunes Store, but only 30 seconds in the U.K. version.

It is currently unclear whether the extended song samples will eventually apply to all regions and songs.

In November, a letter sent to music label representatives from "The iTunes Store Team" notified rightsholders that Apple was "preparing to increase the length of music previews," but gave no indication of the timeline. The letter stated that representatives would confirm acceptance simply by continuing to offer content on the iTunes Store.

According to the letter, the changes will only affect songs longer than 2 minutes and 30 seconds. Sample cliips for songs shorter than 2 minutes and 30 seconds will stay at 30 seconds.

Apple was originally rumored to announce extended song previews at its Sept. 1 media event, but the deal was reportedly blocked at the last minute by the National Music Publishers Association. Several publishers apparently believed that longer previews should require an additional license for "performance rights."

"We believe that a license is necessary, and conversations must occur before song samples are extended," NMPA general counsel Jay Rosenthal told CNET.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Finally! Been waiting for this since it was announced and am all for it. I think it will sell a few more songs due to its added assurance of verified music. (plus I'll enjoy listening to choruses of interesting songs I'm not necessarily going to buy).
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I like it very very much! Thanks Steve!
  • Reply 3 of 12
    ...publishers....
  • Reply 4 of 12
    A longer preview is great and should have been implemented long ago.

Of course now I shop where I can get my music in just the same high quality, but less expensive and in MP3 format for MP3 cd's which I have at various locations instead of dragging a vulnerable iPod everywhere and possibly forgetting it.

Hard to beat a cheap mixed MP3 cd with a 120 songs on it, unless your jogging or something.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Some songs on iTunes now offer 90-second previews for users of the U.S. iTunes Music Store. For instance, "Dark Fantasy" by Kanye West currently offers a 90-second preview in the U.S. iTunes Store

Isn't 90 seconds of Kanye West considered a form of torture?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

...(plus I'll enjoy listening to choruses of interesting songs I'm not necessarily going to buy).

It makes you wonder why the publishers were against this to begin with. Oh, wait...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkJones View Post

A longer preview is great and should have been implemented long ago.

Of course now I shop where I can get my music in just the same high quality, but less expensive and in MP3 format for MP3 cd's which I have at various locations instead of dragging a vulnerable iPod everywhere and possibly forgetting it.

Hard to beat a cheap mixed MP3 cd with a 120 songs on it, unless your jogging or something.

The iPod Shuffles do have their shortcomings, but this is one example where they shine. We have two Shuffles for just that purpose.

The trick to not losing them seems to be keeping the earbuds attached. (Good advice for the new Nano as well.)
  • Reply 6 of 12
    A longer preview is all well & good but Apple needs to address the outrageous prices for their single songs, tv shows & movies. I can't justify buying anything on itunes anymore since there's so many other places that are offering a lot better value.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lancelot9201 View Post

A longer preview is all well & good but Apple needs to address the outrageous prices for their single songs, tv shows & movies. I can't justify buying anything on itunes anymore since there's so many other places that are offering a lot better value.

Such as...
  • Reply 8 of 12
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lancelot9201 View Post

If nothing else, Apple should be able to sell a song on iTunes for the same (discounted) price that Amazon is selling it for. And have the same ability to sell all songs individually; it's crap that Apple has to have two or three songs "Album Only" when those songs are available ala carte on the Amazon MP3 store...
  • Reply 9 of 12
    30 seconds was way too short to evaluate a song for purchase.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Thirty second previews are incredibly annoying. I can't tell you how many songs I've NOT purchased because the silly preview isn't long enough for me to hear the best parts of the song, but it's many. I simply don't buy unheard. Sixty seconds should be the absolute minimum. Ninety seconds should be adequate. It's about time.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doorman. View Post

...publishers....

Can't really blame them. Performance rights and fees are a lot of how they make money. I don't want to see how much LaLa had to pay. If it was something you owned and uploaded, they were likely in the clear, but the one time free play thing could have been a major cost given that they would love to charge for even a 30 second preview

Those things could be why Apple hasnt rolled that features into iTunes. Publishers might have cut a little guy like LaLa some slack, but Apple has big pockets. And since th publishers have the power, they can hold up such things

Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

it's crap that Apple has to have two or three songs "Album Only" when those songs are available ala carte on the Amazon MP3 store...

Again, the publishers. Same guys that let Amazon put up DRM free music well before Apple could
  • Reply 12 of 12
    I think everyone including Apple has missed the whole point of having a useful preview for the end user, whether it be 30 or 90 seconds long!

How I wish Apple would have provided me the ability to track my 30 or soon to be 90 second preview in 10 or 15 or 20 second intervals anywhere in the entire song without exceeding their preview limit! This would be a proper preview!!