Gamers claim unauthorized in app purchases from iOS game

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    Sounds like a few people see something on teh screen in chinese during a game and it has the word "potion" in it, so they click yes not realizing they are actually buying it. It's called user error not a scam.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post

A overall iPod block for all in-app purchases would be an excellent idea. Sadly it won't happen.

A toggle for that option already exists, under Restrictions in the iPod’s Settings.

(I don’t think they should block IAPs by default—that would interfere with normal use; but IAPs should be set to ALWAYS demand a password. Totally blocking could be left as an option, just like totally blocking all app dowloads.)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

If you entered your password in the last 15 minuets doesn't it skip this?

That’s what I assume the culprit is:

1. The user downloaded an update or did something else that used their password

2. During the window when the password is remembered, they pressed an unclear/badly-labeled or otherwise misunderstood button in the game, triggering a purchase (maybe with confirmation, but not with a password request; so some people might fail to understand what they were confirming).

If it’s a simple misunderstanding like that, then Apple and the dev may share the blame for it not being clear enough.

I hoped Apple would change this with 4.2, so that EVERY in-app purchase requires the password (at least by default), without the 15-minute (or whatever) delay that App Store itself has. The delay is nice there, but not for IAP. Every IAP (at least by default) should prompt for password. I don’t want my friends accidentally spending my paycheck on armor just because I had updated an app in the last 15 minutes before they started to play!

And as someone mentioned, in-game “currency" vs. real currency can add to the confusion. Maybe someone thought they were confirming a purchase with “imaginary gold” or something, and if they Apple password was not requested, they might not have thought any more about it until they noticed the charge.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    The level of uninformed stupid in these people and this thread is high.

This is the Toyota "unintended acceleration" nonsense all over again.

This is not an app or Apple issue. PEBCAK.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    It would be great if apple displayed the average amount people spend on in app purchases on the app download page. It would make it easier to spot these kind of apps that abuse the inn app purchase system in exchange for game progress by leveraging the same vulnerabilities that poker machines exploit. As an old school gamer I prefer to spend my time on games that are discreet crafted experiences. Thankfully the app store has plenty of those.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    Never get Chinese software. Avoid Chinese products altogether as much as you can...
  • Reply 26 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dreadkid08 View Post

Never get Chinese software. Avoid Chinese products altogether as much as you can...

Except their food. And not the Americanized version; the real stuff that has nutritional value.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 28 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enohpI View Post

Apple needs to curate this app immediately. Afterwards, they can approve it. But for now, it needs to be curated.

If they pulled back every app based on unsubstantiated user complaints there wouldn't be any apps in the app store. In this case they can investigate the claims, determine if the have validity and issue refunds if necessary without crippling the developer's business by pulling an app that may not have a problem. Who knows? it could very well be a problem on Apple's side that need fixing.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

It would be great if apple displayed the average amount people spend on in app purchases on the app download page. It would make it easier to spot these kind of apps that abuse the inn app purchase system in exchange for game progress by leveraging the same vulnerabilities that poker machines exploit. As an old school gamer I prefer to spend my time on games that are discreet crafted experiences. Thankfully the app store has plenty of those.

It could be also indicative of popular apps that provide valuable content and features that people are willing to pay for. Even though not a free app upfront I spend a lot of money through Hipsatamic on lens effects and virtual fim types with no feeling that the developer is ripping me off.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

If you didn't understand written Chinese then how would you know if you authorised a purchase or not?

If you don't understand Chinese why would you download a Chinese app?
  • Reply 31 of 31
    I'm not one who would normally make a comment-but I'm infuriated. My nine year old son just racked up in-app purchases on a game called Clash of Clans before we realized what was going on. In fact 500$ of purchases. He thought he was using coins he earned in the game to make purchases. Let me make this clear--NO, HE DOESN'T KNOW OUR PASSWORD AND WAS NOT ASKED TO ENTER THE PASSWORD. We never thought he could make any purchases without knowing the itunes password--BEWARE! My son did. We have now learned how to set the setting so this can never happen again. I'm not sure how to handle this, but he is without an ipad for now. Go ahead and cast blame on the parents (not all of us our adept at computers), but this can happen to a good parent. I'm hoping I can prevent this from happening to some other GOOD PARENT who just didn't know that your kid can make in-app purchases without knowing or entering the itunes password if you don't have your settings secured the right way.