US Army wants to give soldiers a choice of Apple iPhone or Android phone

13

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post


    Your right, because these "kids" are only willing to give their lives for this country. Why on earth would be give them a smartphone.



    Exactly.



    Last I checked, the draft wasn't in effect. Joining the military and defending the US are still voluntary and willful acts, and nowhere in the contract they knowingly sign does it say "thou shalt have the technological ability to converse with your baby-mama and play farmville at all times".



    Also, it's "You're" not "Your", and "we" not "be", and "?" not ".".
  • Reply 42 of 76
    I would rather have all students in America be equipped with MacBooks, but living in a pipe dream means a destiny of disappointment.
  • Reply 43 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KazKam View Post


    Exactly.



    Last I checked, the draft wasn't in effect. Joining the military and defending the US are still a voluntary and willful act, and nowhere in the contract they knowingly sign does it say "thou shalt have the technological ability to converse with your baby-mama and play farmville at all times".



    Perhaps we should not issue them rifles. I don't remember anything in the contract about that either.
  • Reply 44 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    Good idea and such a version would be good for outdoor activities such as hiking, boating etc. (and those image challenged males ).



    iPhone Hummer
  • Reply 45 of 76
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    I hope your post was a poor joke. If not then you need to seek help.



    Looks like it got pulled or deleted. I think his attempt at a joke had to do with a survey that said men prefered Android while woman prefered an iPhone. It was really stupid and in the news a week or so ago.
  • Reply 46 of 76
    asciiascii Posts: 5,941member
    I think all the soldiers should be networked together, but whether a commercial smartphone is the solution to that I don't know.
  • Reply 47 of 76
    They could give one to Osama bin laden to replace that great big clunky first generation phone we see pictures of him using. Then turn use the find my phone and bingo bango - war over!
  • Reply 48 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post


    Perhaps we should not issue them rifles. I don't remember anything in the contract about that either.



    That's probably because you didn't read it. You are out of your league, and grasping at straws.
  • Reply 49 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KazKam View Post


    That's probably because you didn't read it. You are out of your league, and grasping at straws.



    You are right, I did not read it. I seriously doubt most people do. All I knew was that I wanted to serve in this country's military.



    Oh, please excuse my grammatical errors, I tend to get in a hurry and typing with the one hand that I didn't loose while in Iraq poses its challenges.
  • Reply 50 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KazKam View Post


    Exactly.



    Last I checked, the draft wasn't in effect. Joining the military and defending the US are still voluntary and willful acts, and nowhere in the contract they knowingly sign does it say "thou shalt have the technological ability to converse with your baby-mama and play farmville at all times".



    Also, it's "You're" not "Your", and "we" not "be", and "?" not ".".



    KazKam, why so needlessly pessimistic about those who are in the army? It sounds like the Army is looking to use existing tech to supplement what they already have. Have you used some the communications equipment and GPS they currently use? It's old and breaking. Plus, this doesn't have to raise YOUR tax dollars, they budget for this just like anything else. Minus one F35 should do it.
  • Reply 51 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post


    You are right, I did not read it. I seriously doubt most people do. All I knew was that I wanted to serve in this country's military.



    Oh, please excuse my grammatical errors, I tend to get in a hurry and typing with the one hand that I didn't loose while in Iraq poses its challenges.



    Playing the sympathy card (and possibly falsely), the last act of a desperate man.



    How about presenting a clear and logical argument for purchasing smartphones and cell plans for all soldiers instead of attempting to appeal to emotions which have no bearing on the topic at hand?
  • Reply 52 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    I can't totally disagree especially the 'while on duty' comment. Look at the issue with train drivers but it is nothing to do with iPhones or whatever rather as you say, what is used, when and what for. Meanwhile along the same lines, the fact that Windows is allowed to be used in anything related to defense (or anything related to any essential infrastructure for that matter) makes me shudder.



    Yea, security and distractions will probably be the biggest concerns here. Perhaps there will be a "home" mode and a "deployed" mode (which presumably would prohibit Angry Birds)?



    Giving every single soldier an iPhone is probably overkill. Perhaps only platoon leaders or senior NCOs should get them, at least at first? Scattering 100,00 devices with access to intelligence across Afghanistan is just asking for trouble.



    Although, that would be sweet to be able to view a drone video feed from your iPhone! Their power as a portable, easy to use, cheap, all-purpose computer is amazing though and could be very useful. All of the R&D is already done! Creating all of these functions from scratch would cost the Army billions, whereas a wholesale contract would only cost a couple hundred per device.
  • Reply 53 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KazKam View Post


    Playing the sympathy card (and possibly falsely), the last act of a desperate man.



    How about presenting a clear and logical argument for purchasing smartphones and cell plans for all soldiers instead of attempting to appeal to emotions which have no bearing on the topic at hand?



    http://www.macworld.com/article/1511...5/jibbigo.html
  • Reply 54 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KazKam View Post


    Playing the sympathy card (and possibly falsely), the last act of a desperate man.



    How about presenting a clear and logical argument for purchasing smartphones and cell plans for all soldiers instead of attempting to appeal to emotions which have no bearing on the topic at hand?



    No sympathy, just facts.



    The article clearly stated the Army's intent for this idea but since you are having trouble comprehending the subject matter here it is again.



    "At war, smart phones would let soldiers view real-time intelligence and video from unmanned systems overhead, and track friends and enemies on a dynamic map..." the report reads. "But the Army must first work through the complex task of securing the data and the network before it sanctions smart phones on the battlefield."



    The plan, called "far from definitive," will fit commercial phones like the iPhone into special antenna sleeves, allowing them to link to the Army's network via a "patchwork of ground stations and airborne nodes." It was said that the program has support from some of the Army's highest ranking officials, including Vice Chief of Staff Gen. Peter Chiarelli.
  • Reply 55 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SirHoffALot View Post


    KazKam, why so needlessly pessimistic about those who are in the army? It sounds like the Army is looking to use existing tech to supplement what they already have. Have you used some the communications equipment and GPS they currently use? It's old and breaking. Plus, this doesn't have to raise YOUR tax dollars, they budget for this just like anything else. Minus one F35 should do it.



    If you read my initial post, I am not opposed to issuing the military new tech, and I'd love to see Apple get a military contract, as long as those new devices are locked down to military functionality. To bring up Gunslinger's rifle metaphor, US soldiers ARE issued usually some AR-15 variant, but they aren't allowed to shoot at mailboxes when they're off duty.



    What I am opposed to is issuing completely open iOS or Android devices with paid commercial call/data plans that can be used at the operator's whim. Imagine if the same logic were applied to those rifles.
  • Reply 56 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post


    No sympathy, just facts.



    The article clearly stated the Army's intent for this idea but since you are having trouble comprehending the subject matter here it is again.



    "At war, smart phones would let soldiers view real-time intelligence and video from unmanned systems overhead, and track friends and enemies on a dynamic map..." the report reads. "But the Army must first work through the complex task of securing the data and the network before it sanctions smart phones on the battlefield."



    The plan, called "far from definitive," will fit commercial phones like the iPhone into special antenna sleeves, allowing them to link to the Army's network via a "patchwork of ground stations and airborne nodes." It was said that the program has support from some of the Army's highest ranking officials, including Vice Chief of Staff Gen. Peter Chiarelli.



    I don't deny a *locked-down* iPhone or other smartphone has the potential of GREAT practical benefit as a military tool. My initial post is in response to the first two paragraphs of the article:



    "The U.S. Army is interested in giving each of its soldiers a smartphone, and may give them a choice between Apple's iPhone or one running Google Android.



    As reported this week by ArmyTimes, the Army is considering making a smartphone a standard piece of equipment in a soldier's bag. Based on the proposal, the Army would even pay the soldier's monthly phone bill."
  • Reply 57 of 76
    z3r0z3r0 Posts: 238member
    I would have actually thought that they would be more interested in Xserves. Go figure.







    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post


    You would think the US Army would be interested in the security the iPhone offers over android.



  • Reply 58 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KazKam View Post


    I don't deny a *locked-down* iPhone or other smartphone has the potential of GREAT practical benefit as a military tool. My initial post is in response to the first two paragraphs of the article:



    "The U.S. Army is interested in giving each of its soldiers a smartphone, and may give them a choice between Apple's iPhone or one running Google Android.



    As reported this week by ArmyTimes, the Army is considering making a smartphone a standard piece of equipment in a soldier's bag. Based on the proposal, the Army would even pay the soldier's monthly phone bill."



    I am not sure of your familiarity with the military but each service member is currently given a housing allowance, clothing allowance and other such allowances for daily living. I can only speculate but I would think it would be similar in this case.
  • Reply 59 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post


    I am not sure of your familiarity with the military but each service member is currently given a housing allowance, clothing allowance and other such allowances for daily living. I can only speculate but I would think it would be similar in this case.



    Again, I am not opposed to issuing smartphone-like devices as standard issue, as long as they are for active-duty responsibilities only. In fact, I firmly believe in the US maintaining the best armed and most capable military in the world.



    My issue comes in the form of the line blurred between a device issued for WORK, as opposed to a NON-ESSENTIAL item for personal use like a smartphone. This is where my "entitlement" quip comes in.



    A roof over ones head and food on the table are essentials. If a soldier wants to spend their "allowance" on a smartphone for personal use, well then that's their perogative and priority, but a smartphone is neither an essential nor an entitlement. It is perfectly possible to live a full and productive life without a smartphone.
  • Reply 60 of 76
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,483member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KazKam View Post


    Again, I am not opposed to issuing smartphone-like devices as standard issue, as long as they are for active-duty responsibilities only. In fact, I firmly believe in the US maintaining the best armed and most capable military in the world.



    My issue comes in the form of the line blurred between a device issued for WORK, as opposed to a NON-ESSENTIAL item for personal use like a smartphone. This is where my "entitlement" quip comes in.



    A roof over ones head and food on the table are essentials. If a soldier wants to spend their "allowance" on a smartphone for personal use, well then that's their perogative and priority, but a smartphone is neither an essential nor an entitlement. It is perfectly possible to live a full and productive life without a smartphone.



    I have to say, IMHO Apple would be the ideal company to make a specialized product for the military for the real time information and comms.
Sign In or Register to comment.