Controversial Steve Jobs figurine appears to sell for $2,500 on eBay

Comments

• Reply 41 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justbobf View Post

Isn't this art? How can they block the sale of art?

I agree. Public figures cannot prohibit the sale of satirical versions of their image. This is a free speech issue. They should get representation from the ACLU.
  • Reply 42 of 62
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 518member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Wow I was going to say the same thing. I'm an older fellow and not really into the whole action figure / figurine collecting thing, but this little guy is pretty cool. Wish I'd bought one of them when issued.

Although I do still have one of the Alien figures from about 21 years ago.

They actually did a good job with the likeness - that shot with the glasses up shows the eyes, and it's really pretty good. Toss in a 'You're holding it wrong!' speech bubble and it's ready to go.

After the iPad 2 announcement... 'And one more thing. We've been working on a full line of action figures, including myself, Ives, Schiller... and they're available to order starting today for just $89.00 each. We think you're going to love them!'
  • Reply 43 of 62
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

Speaking of pathetic, Stephen Colbert is a Christian so.. I think that's about all we really need to say about that.

Julian Assange is a hero for what he has done though you won't find many Americans that can truly understand the scope.

Yes really.

Percentage wise, I bet it?s more than those in this thread who know when a joke is being made.
  • Reply 44 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Percentage wise, I bet it?s more than those in this thread who know when a joke is being made.

Nor would it matter that whenever Steven needs a computer its a Mac, especially this week about being an original hacker, he brought out his original iMac again.

Nor the fact that he promoted the ipad, bitched until he got an iphone (multiple gens), gee, the guy loves apple, fake or not.
  • Reply 45 of 62
    Quote:

The joke is implied considering the source, yet the sentiment behind the joke is debatable. I suppose it depends on wether one saw it or read it in order to properly judge the subtext but given his history of patriotic support for US troops.. hmm
  • Reply 46 of 62
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

The joke is implied considering the source, yet the sentiment behind the joke is debatable. I suppose it depends on wether one saw it or read it in order to properly judge the subtext but given his history of patriotic support for US troops.. hmm

Wow! it’s hard to imagine you really don’t understand his joke or The Daily Show/Colbert Report programs. I have your assume your level of oblivion is chosen.

edit: If you can’t see this is satire then I say your sense of humour has fallen down a bottomless sarchasm*.

* Not sarcasm
  • Reply 47 of 62
    Quote:

Wow! it’s hard to imagine you really don’t understand his joke or The Daily Show/Colbert Report programs. I have your assume your level of oblivion is chosen.

edit: If you can’t see this is satire then I say your sense of humour has fallen down a bottomless sarchasm*.

* Not sarcasm

Yes, I can see the satire *and that it appears unbiased. I jumped to my conclusions not having seen the vid footage originally, so in that sense I was wrong.
  • Reply 48 of 62
    Apple is apple after all. BUT REALLY!! Jobs needs to acknowledge that he's as much of a cultural ikon as his products and TAKE IT IN STRIDE!!

What built the brand was having technology people could have fun with. Lawyers don't know what fun is...
  • Reply 49 of 62
    Well Steve does have a big head.
  • Reply 50 of 62
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Regardless of any strict definition of the law, I think Apple needs to get a sense of humor. I don't personally collect any kind of figurines, but that one looks extremely well done and is actually in good taste, although also very funny. And if Apple stops this, it's only going to substantially increase the value of the existing figurines, which will be sold "below the radar".

Like it or not, Steve is a public figure. And if you consider this figure to be "satire", then it's legal, even if it's made for commercial sales. Also, while this might be easy to control if a large toy company (like Mattel) put this out, it's not easy to control if individuals and small companies take it on. And if you can't control it (like people using smart phones to take photos/videos at concerts), then there's no point trying to stop it.

I think Apple needs to at retain their track record of trying to police the use of their trademark (note the logo as a base) and this might also be true with policing the use of the likeness as a commercial product. The consequences of not policing the trademark can mean losing the trademark if a lawsuit shows that they let things slide without trying to stop it, and that might be true of likenesses. The article says the C&D concerns a California law, so those outside of California might have more latitude.

I don't think it's such a big deal if some small manufacturer got into making them. That would keep the price high and the volumes in question would be negligible. The store in question supposedly sold a few hundred. For all we know, this notoriety could be what the original manufacturer expected. The store was only a reseller, so some other web store outside of Apple's grasp might pick them up and sell a few.

Quote:

As for the poster who thinks that Steve is gone in three months, unless he's had a new major health problem that we don't know about, that is a ridiculous assertion. And just because your friend owns the stock doesn't mean he knows anything. I own the stock and I don't know anything.

That was posted by someone that has a long history of troll-like behavior. Even the rare compliments to Apple are usually back-handed.
  • Reply 51 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

As for the poster who thinks that Steve is gone in three months, unless he's had a new major health problem that we don't know about, that is a ridiculous assertion. And just because your friend owns the stock doesn't mean he knows anything. I own the stock and I don't know anything.

Steve will not just one day quit Apple. Long before he leaves, he will become Chairman and turn the CEO job over to someone else. I think the sign will be if/when he resigns from the Disney Board, which I think he would do well before he leaves the CEO position at Apple.

That would be a good scenario for a healthy CEO. But, how many CEOs do you know with:

1) Metastatic cancer requiring several surgeries in the first 5 years;

2) A liver transplant requiring the patient to take anti-rejection medication which interferes with the body's ability to fight cancer.

My conversation with an old friend was medical in nature. If my friend's opinion is accurate, there is nothing more that medicine can do for Steve Jobs. Sadly.

And I got the distinct impression that my friend had cashed half or two thirds of his investment in Apple (but still kept one third to one half of his shares).

A prudent investor should never ignore what is public knowledge.

Regardless of your investments in Apple, the big question is what will happen once Steve Jobs is no longer the CEO of Apple.

\\\
  • Reply 52 of 62
    Some people are a bit sensitive about things like this. He might consider it disrespectful.
  • Reply 53 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

... My conversation with an old friend was medical in nature. If my friend's opinion is accurate, ...

Unless your "friend" is SJ's doctor, then his opinion is meaningless. If he is SJ's doctor, he wouldn't be discussing a patient with you, and he'd be guilty of insider trading. Frankly, I don't believe, and I doubt if anyone else does, that you have a "friend" in a position to know anything about SJ's prognosis. I do believe that you are either a) just trolling, or b) trying to start rumors to knock the stock price down. In either case, your behavior is despicable.
  • Reply 54 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I agree. Public figures cannot prohibit the sale of satirical versions of their image. This is a free speech issue. They should get representation from the ACLU.

Nonsense. This isn't free speech, it's a commercial exploitation of something that doesn't belong to them, SJ's likeness, pure and simple.
  • Reply 55 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 801 View Post

Personally, I am going to wait for the Steve Balmer statue. But instead of the large head and small body, I am pretty sure the proportions will be the other way around.

Complete with sweat marks on his chest. back and under arms.

Woooo Woooo!
  • Reply 56 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 801 View Post

Personally, I am going to wait for the Steve Balmer statue. But instead of the large head and small body, I am pretty sure the proportions will be the other way around.

Double plus good.
  • Reply 57 of 62
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kyle172 View Post

Some people are a bit sensitive about things like this. He might consider it disrespectful.

Well it's not exactly a piggy bank that takes your money with no way to get it out now- is it?
  • Reply 58 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

[Blah blah blah...]

Oh, great, this troll is back.
  • Reply 59 of 62
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Other than the fact that he's standing on an Apple logo, this might carry some weight. They clearly have no rights to selling items with Apple's logo.

Not that it's clear that it would be protected as satire, anyway, of course.
  • Reply 60 of 62
    This is a midget compared to the life size Alien which sells for $5000 and looks way better.