Apple TV, iTunes downloads slowed by Google DNS

Comments

• Reply 61 of 90
    I work for a CDN (just the same as Akamai), and I'd like pass some knowledge along.

When an anycast (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anycast [Every CDN depends on anycast]) based DNS system is used, you are load balanced to a nearby POP/node/cluster (whatever you want to call it.) The idea behind this is to route you to a very close (geographically that is) server that will be able to return the desired data to you as fast as possible. In making the connection as close as possible, you reduce the possibility of introducing unnecessary latency. Currently, the speed limit is the speed of light (based on use of photons in the fiber links). Until we find a way around this, bringing the server close to you is the next best option.

So, with anycast already mentioned, the next part of this is the load balancing. When you use something like 4.2.2.1 (and it's relatives), OpenDNS, or Google DNS, you are relying on a system that is making a best attempt at determining where you are. If it works as intended, nothing goes awry. If it there is a fault, then you may get routed to a server that is quite far from you (geographically, as well as latency-based.) This can occur if you use OpenDNS in London, UK, and you get routed to a server in New York, NY instead of somewhere in England. This can cause for a slow internet experience, which generally sucks.

If you use your ISP's DNS is that you can be much more certain that you are being routed to a set of nameservers that are close to you, and can generate a quicker response to your queries. The added bonus of using your ISP's DNS is that a CDN such as Akamai almost certainly has a POP (or cluster, etc) located inside of the ISPs network, and so when you get load balanced to the CDN (instead of the DNS), you are hitting servers that are not only close to you, but don't have to traverse the internet's main backbones. This means you get what you want very quickly.

When people use an anycast based DNS system, and complain of slow load times, they are almost certainly being routed to a POP that is either far away from them, or is just overloaded (or both.) I've run into this myself when attempting to retrieve updated Apps from the iTunes App Store when using 4.2.2.1. When I changed my router over to use my ISP's DNS (in this case, Road Runner), the files came in at the max speed my connection would allow.

If you use an anycast based DNS, and are encountering a less than great internet experience, I encourage you to switch to your local ISP DNS. Things should be much better as a result.

I hope this helps shed some light onto the situation.

Cheers.
  • Reply 62 of 90
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    going to have to check my router logs at home to see where my netflix data is coming from. i use my PS3 mostly to stream netflix and use Google DNS. too much trouble with time warner cable DNS. it takes netflix a minute or so to load on my PS3. will see if DNS makes a difference

netflix uses level 3 as their CDN

one time a friend of mine found a MacBook and i installed SL on it for him. i checked my router logs when i was doing the apple update and i think the data came from the midwest since apple uses akamai for the apple updates. and i've used google dns or open dns since it came out. i'm on the east coast
  • Reply 63 of 90
    F*ck this headline, this story and Daniel Eran Dilger. Treat your readers with some damn respect. I've been reading appleinsider for several years - today I unsubscribe. see ya
  • Reply 64 of 90
    http://code.google.com/p/namebench/

It is a google site, but seems to help a little in this thread.
  • Reply 65 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

From the Google Public DNS Privacy Policy:

And translations...

Quote:

Is any of the information collected stored with my Google account?

No.

No, it's stored in your Google Profile, which is linked to your Google Account, along with everything else we know about you and will hand over to the government whenever it presents us with a National Security Letter.

Quote:

Does Google share the information it collects from the Google Public DNS service with anyone else?

No.

No, not directly, it's much too valuable to us to give it to anyone else. We use it in all sorts of ways, though. And, of course, we'll give it to the Feds if they present us with a NSL.

Quote:

Is information about my queries to Google Public DNS shared with other Google properties, such as Search, Gmail, ads networks, etc.?

No.

No, not as such. We collect all of the information from all those sources and pool it in the Google Profile database. As such, we never share data between these services, it all goes into the central repository to be used as we see fit, or handed over to the Feds when requested.
  • Reply 66 of 90
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned whether Akami uses allow-transfer {"none";}

in their master/cache only DNS or not.

If they do, then the original DNS query will always be forwarded to akami.com where the client IP would be used to geo locate them. The DNS server you have in you computer becomes somewhat irrelevant except for the forwarding latency. At least then you would let Akami decide which streaming server to use for your request.

It appears they do since when I dig them I get their authoritative DNS servers.
  • Reply 67 of 90
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

And translations...

No, it's stored in your Google Profile, which is linked to your Google Account, along with everything else we know about you and will hand over to the government whenever it presents us with a National Security Letter.

No, not directly, it's much too valuable to us to give it to anyone else. We use it in all sorts of ways, though. And, of course, we'll give it to the Feds if they present us with a NSL.

No, not as such. We collect all of the information from all those sources and pool it in the Google Profile database. As such, we never share data between these services, it all goes into the central repository to be used as we see fit, or handed over to the Feds when requested.

Anything to back your statements?
  • Reply 68 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Anything to back your statements?

Any reason we shouldn't believe my translation?

Google has never been honest about what it does. They are a serial law breaker with no respect for intellectual property or privacy law. Even when they say they don't do something, it turns out they do, "inadvertently" of course.

Google, all evil, all the time.
  • Reply 69 of 90
    Quote:

Any reason we shouldn't believe my translation?

Google has never been honest about what it does. They are a serial law breaker with no respect for intellectual property or privacy law. Even when they say they don't do something, it turns out they do, "inadvertently" of course.

Google, all evil, all the time.

Ah, yes, nothing to back it up except hate against a company. This or you are joking
  • Reply 70 of 90
    Quote:

Ah, yes, nothing to back it up except hate against a company. This or you are joking

So, do you really believe Google doesn't collect and maintain detailed information on individuals?

We know they do. What isn't known for certain, outside Google, is exactly what's in these profiles. Given Google's extensive track record of dishonesty and criminal behavior, no one should trust any denials they make on the subject, especially when they are worded in such a way as to make the denials technically and very narrowly true, yet meaningless. You can go ahead and believe them, but you'll be wrong.
  • Reply 71 of 90
    Quote:

So, do you really believe Google doesn't collect and maintain detailed information on individuals?

We know they do. What isn't known for certain, outside Google, is exactly what's in these profiles. Given Google's extensive track record of dishonesty and criminal behavior, no one should trust any denials they make on the subject, especially when they are worded in such a way as to make the denials technically and very narrowly true, yet meaningless. You can go ahead and believe them, but you'll be wrong.

So you're not joking, you truly believe that they always lie and they are evil.

Ok, do you have your tin cap?
  • Reply 72 of 90
    Quote:

So you're not joking, you truly believe that they always lie and they are evil.

Well, no, they don't always lie. When they said they were agreeing with Verizon to kill Net Neutrality, they were telling the truth. But, yes, they are evil.
  • Reply 73 of 90
    siasia Posts: 1member
    End users reach Google DNS via anycast IP (8.8.x.x) . Specific Google Public DNS node which got lookup request either responds from it's cache, or queries authoritative servers. Queries are sent from non-anycast IP - see locations list here:

http://code.google.com/speed/public-...html#locations

Those IP ranges (same as others containing DNS nameservers) are mapped by CDNs to their own closest nodes. The granularity of such mapping would be likely be more precise when you use your own or your ISP DNS server (since so far Google operates Public DNS in only 16 locations, about half in US).
  • Reply 74 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

Correct!!! DNS is a lookup, sure that initial lookup could take a milisecond longer if your local ISP DNS is closer in terms of latency.....but it also could NOT have the info you need and it would have to forward the request or hit a root server. In either case once you have the IP of the media streaming server, DNS is out of the picture.

Appleinsider ONCE AGAIN showing their NUT JOB bias. Google is a major threat to Apple, therefore and enemy of AI???

Loones run this blog.

Oh, come on, this is so easy to test that it's not worth arguing about. Nobody is talking about how long the DNS request takes. We care about the IP address it returns, because that's who we end up downloading data from.

I live in California.

Code:

$ nslookup appldnld.apple.com

Servert10.0.1.1

Addresst10.0.1.1#53

Nameta1271.di3.akamai.net

Address: 69.22.162.137 (GeoIP says this is in Concord, CA)

$ nslookup appldnld.apple.com 8.8.4.4

Servert8.8.4.4

Addresst8.8.4.4#53

Address: 96.17.8.49 (GeoIP says this is in Cambridge, MA)

(wait a few seconds)

$ nslookup appldnld.apple.com 8.8.4.4

Servert8.8.4.4

Addresst8.8.4.4#53

Address: 203.106.85.168 (GeoIP says this is in Malaysia)

If you use your ISP's DNS server, you're going to connect to a server close to you and get a fast download. If you use Google's DNS server, you might either get lucky and get a server 3000 miles away in Massachusetts, or unlucky and get an Akamai server that's 8500 miles away in Malaysia. Think you might see a drop in performance when going across the ocean unnecessarily? As mentioned before, GoogleDNS will tend to return the same result to many more, making these servers even more overloaded than they might normally be.

Or it could be a big conspiracy. I mean, who knows, you know?
  • Reply 75 of 90
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ohai View Post

[...]Or it could be a big conspiracy. I mean, who knows, you know?

Since you bring it up, I think my downloads are slow because I have Comcast, and they're cock-blocking my AppleTV downloads. All other downloads work perfectly.
  • Reply 76 of 90
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 77 of 90

deleted

• Reply 78 of 90

deleted

• Reply 79 of 90

deleted