Apple positions iAd Producer as Adobe Flash alternative

Comments

• Reply 41 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by captbilly View Post

Who runs Apple Insider?

There was a time when I went to Apple insider to see what was new in Apple hardware and software, but now it just seems to be nothing more than the PR arm of Apple. Every new product release is presented and accepted as both entirely true, entirely objective and as a gift from god. Apple is losing market share to Android at a rate that is unprecedented in even the insanely fast world of high tech, yet this site is acting as though Apple is in control of the future of smartphones. Not only is Apple not going to dictate a switch from Flash to... whatever it is they are trying to do, but everyday I speak to people who say one of the fatal flaws of IOS is the inability to play Flash. I realize that things change and something is surely going to replace the present version of Flash, but the likely hood that it will be something that Apple is doing is becoming smaller and smaller with each passing day and each additional competing device sold. Only a year ago Apple was the undisputed leader in the mobile OS market, today they Android sell more devices every day than Apple does (and that is even if you include ipads, which aren't really comparable), and Android isn't even yet available in a Google recommended tablet version. When Android tablets finally become available early next year there is every reason to believe that there will sell more Android tablets sold than Apple tablets. Surely it makes sense for Apple to continue developing new things but if they do not change their model (closed system) they will be in no position to drive the market away from Flash and into something else.

Who runs captbilly?
  • Reply 42 of 102
    Quote:

There was a time when I went to Apple insider to see what was new in Apple hardware and software, but now it just seems to be nothing more than the PR arm of Apple. (snip)

AppleInsider has always posted what's newsworthy in terms of Apple. Of course they're not objective i terms of what they cover, they're biased in terms of covering APPLE.

"Only a year ago Apple was the undisputed leader in the mobile OS market"

Apple was never a leader in the mobile OS market...far from it.

"Android sell more devices every day than Apple does"

Android isn't a company. Apple sells more smartphones than any Android vendor. Really, this shouldn't be surprising, had Android never existed, Samsung, Motorola, etc, would all have chosen another OS, such as Windows (which is why Google developed Android). Saying more Android devices are sold each day than iPhones is a bit like saying everybody else combined outsells Apple.

"everyday I speak to people who say one of the fatal flaws of IOS is the inability to play Flash. "

And how happy are they playing Flash on the phone they chose instead?

Flash sucks in many ways. It really sucks on mobile devices. Apple is a very powerful company today and has over 100 million active iOS users (iPad, iPhone, iPod touch) capable of receiving an HTML5 ad and not a Flash ad. Furthermore, the users of iPhones are eating up way more internet traffic per device than any other platform and most other platform devices don't run Flash either. The fact is that if you want a rich media ad for mobile devices, the best tech to reach the largest number today is HTML5, not Flash. This trend is expected to continue unless Adobe can radically change things...although they seem to be shifting towards HTML5 tool development as well.
  • Reply 43 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

AppleInsider has always posted what's newsworthy in terms of Apple. Of course they're not objective i terms of what they cover, they're biased in terms of covering APPLE.

"Only a year ago Apple was the undisputed leader in the mobile OS market"

Apple was never a leader in the mobile OS market...far from it.

"Android sell more devices every day than Apple does"

Android isn't a company.

Neither is iOS.

MacSlut, you and I may have the most honest screen names on this board.
  • Reply 44 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

Mixed emotions here. On one hand I want Flash to go away, but on the other -- it just means my ad blocker will need a lot of clever updates to 'compete.' .

Indeed. Insidiously clever: while Flash blockers are all over the place and it's dirt simple for even the lamest rube to have complete control over it, with JavaScript-based ads the only way you can turn them off is to disable your web apps.
  • Reply 45 of 102
    Quote:

There was a time when I went to Apple insider to see what was new in Apple hardware and software, but now it just seems to be nothing more than the PR arm of Apple.

People looking for Mac news have all moved on to MacRumors.com

This is AI, having earned its reputation as the Fox News of the Mac World, willing to mix commentary and news interchangeably as long as it resonates with its core audience; anything for another pair of eyeballs to sell to an advertiser.

See ya' on MacRumors...
  • Reply 46 of 102
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quite a significant app for such a low-key release. But then they rarely publicise the dev tools I guess.
  • Reply 47 of 102
    Quote:

There was a time when I went to Apple insider to see what was new in Apple hardware and software, but now it just seems to be nothing more than the PR arm of Apple. Every new product release is presented and accepted as both entirely true, entirely objective and as a gift from god. Apple is losing market share to Android at a rate that is unprecedented in even the insanely fast world of high tech, yet this site is acting as though Apple is in control of the future of smartphones. Not only is Apple not going to dictate a switch from Flash to... whatever it is they are trying to do, but everyday I speak to people who say one of the fatal flaws of IOS is the inability to play Flash. I realize that things change and something is surely going to replace the present version of Flash, but the likely hood that it will be something that Apple is doing is becoming smaller and smaller with each passing day and each additional competing device sold. Only a year ago Apple was the undisputed leader in the mobile OS market, today they Android sell more devices every day than Apple does (and that is even if you include ipads, which aren't really comparable), and Android isn't even yet available in a Google recommended tablet version. When Android tablets finally become available early next year there is every reason to believe that there will sell more Android tablets sold than Apple tablets. Surely it makes sense for Apple to continue developing new things but if they do not change their model (closed system) they will be in no position to drive the market away from Flash and into something else.

You better lay off the eggnog, Captain...
  • Reply 48 of 102
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

See ya' on MacRumors...

I have to admit, biased news is more fun to read than dry, objective reporting. Therefore if it's a field I'm expert enough in to tell fact from fantasy I will willingly go to a biased source.

As for Macrumors, it's no panacea either. I find it to be over-moderated.
  • Reply 49 of 102
    erunnoerunno Posts: 225member
    Okey, I'm having a bad cold so I might have misunderstood something, but how can iAd Producer be a blow to Flash when the ads produced with it only run on a platform where Flash is not available anyway? I thought that competition requires to have a choice in the first place but Flash and IAds run in mutually exclusive spaces.
  • Reply 50 of 102
    erunnoerunno Posts: 225member
    Quote:

There was a time when I went to Apple insider to see what was new in Apple hardware and software, but now it just seems to be nothing more than the PR arm of Apple.

AppleInsider was not always like this?
  • Reply 51 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

As for Macrumors, it's no panacea either. I find it to be over-moderated.

Damn right, the moderators are a bunch of rude arrogant autocratic little hitlers.
  • Reply 52 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

Neither is iOS.

MacSlut, you and I may have the most honest screen names on this board.

Thanks.

I didn't say iOS was a company, but the OP was comparing Android to Apple. That didn't make sense. It makes sense to compare Android to iOS or any Android (or smartphone vendor) to Apple. The point being that Apple outsells any of the Android based smartphone vendors by a pretty significant margin, making Apple a pretty significant player in the smartphone market.
  • Reply 53 of 102
    If you guys think that HTML5 has any chance to be a serious competition to Adobe you are on for a trip beside being delusional.

Apple has never shown any serious ability to produce software, all they do is to buy third parties. Meanwhile Adobe has ruled the creative market for decade and has some of the best software rocket scientists on the planet.

HTML5 is an embryo that Steve Jobs shove in your throat to protect the AppStore. Who would buy all those ridiculous apps if Flash was on iPhone and users could just browse to it. Only iPhone users spend that much money for nothing.

Also, HTML5 is an absolute mess! Video is a mess, audio is a mess, the implementation is left to the browser and anyone who bet on HTML5 will soon be crying while the giants manipulate the standard to accomodate their own agenda. Did I say as a Flash developer I never, ever have to check my app on other browsers and OS?

Also, HTML5 is a standard what that means is that it takes years to implement anything considering that Apple, Adobe, Google and many others, all competitors of each other have all to agree before HTML5 makes one step. Meanwhile, Adobe has proven itself capable to deploy breakthrough in a matter of weeks or months, as it did for every single Apple's criticism.

Full Flash Player for mobile, done. Hardware acceleration even on Mac, done. New video API with 10x better performance on all OS, done.

Here some resources for you:

New Flash 10.2 to see 10x improvement in performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geK7geL3I40

Top CEOs Advocate for Adobe Flash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CwI227m-hs
  • Reply 54 of 102
    jon tjon t Posts: 131member
    What a ridiculous diatribe!

Quote:

There was a time when I went to Apple insider to see what was new in Apple hardware and software, but now it just seems to be nothing more than the PR arm of Apple. DRIVEL DRIVEL DRIVEL ....drive the market away from Flash and into something else.

• Reply 55 of 102
    jon tjon t Posts: 131member
    A post full of dreams from an Adobe Flash engineer....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by flexengineer View Post

If you guys think that HTML5 has any chance to be a serious competition to Adobe you are on for a trip beside being delusional.

Full Flash Player for mobile, done. Hardware acceleration even on Mac, done. New video API with 10x better performance on all OS, done.

• Reply 56 of 102
    Quote:

Apple has never shown any serious ability to produce software, all they do is to buy third parties. Meanwhile Adobe has ruled the creative market for decade and has some of the best software rocket scientists on the planet....

Wonderful comedy.

You are joking right?
  • Reply 57 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

By the way it is not applicable to the web as a whole only iOS app ads not desktop browser ads. It is entirely specific to a single ad instance not ads all over a page as is commonly found in a typical web page.

Do you think that the apps from the new MacApp Store could benefit from this new capability? That way, with more ad-supported software for sale, Apple could give more revenue to its developers, while making more revenue for itself. A win-win for everyone.
  • Reply 58 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

Saying more Android devices are sold each day than iPhones is a bit like saying everybody else combined outsells Apple.

Yes, that is certainly true. Apple might consider licensing iOS to other vendors if it wants to keep a critical mass. Otherwise, it will eventually be an also-ran ecosystem.
  • Reply 59 of 102
    Quote:

If you think that we cannot detect that you are paid by Adobe, you too are on a trip.

Go away, troll.
  • Reply 60 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhoneLuvr1 View Post

Yes, that is certainly true. Apple might consider licensing iOS to other vendors if it wants to keep a critical mass. Otherwise, it will eventually be an also-ran ecosystem.

Not gonna happen.