RIM thought Apple was lying about original iPhone in 2007

Comments

• Reply 41 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mickeymantle View Post

Ohne die Scheißegeist, bitte

Sorry... It just seems to fit! I got tired of hearing "race to the bottom"!
  • Reply 42 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

You are so right! I am always amazed that car radios are so pathetic. The whole car "entertainment system" is lame in most cars. Even luxury cars have clumsy GUIs.

Apple could make a huge improvements the whole car experience. Imagine an Apple interface in your car. You know it would be so simple to use and yet do all the things you want (well, after drawn out updates dripped to you). But you know it would be great.

Had I lots of free time and a decent soldering iron, I'd make sure the next generation of cars had options for a snap-in space that could accommodate an iPad or iPhone where most cars have that big screen that can't ever do anything different than what it was born doing.

Oh, and I can't fab for beans, the soldering iron would only be to fend off the violent hoards of engineers who would be redundant after this happens.

Dashboard GUI made loads of advances until they started getting more complicated than a pushbutton radio. And that includes the Lexi with the Very Important Knobby Thing on the bottom of the center console. You know, the place where everything spills. Did the hermetically sealed keys on Saabs teach them nothing?
  • Reply 43 of 90
    Self-Reliance is an essay written by American Transcendentalist philosopher and essayist, in it is one of Ralph Waldo Emerson's most famous quotes, "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

Only Apple seems to be able to break out of the foolish consistency that other companies follow. That's what makes Apple products so interesting, and why spotting the little minds is so obvious.
  • Reply 44 of 90
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    Quote:

You are so right! I am always amazed that car radios are so pathetic. The whole car "entertainment system" is lame in most cars. Even luxury cars have clumsy GUIs.

Apple could make a huge improvements the whole car experience. Imagine an Apple interface in your car. You know it would be so simple to use and yet do all the things you want (well, after drawn out updates dripped to you). But you know it would be great.

Apple could redesign just about every interface out there for sure. They are the only company that 'gets it'. Hell, even my Microwave is as unintuitive as a Windows PC.
  • Reply 45 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Well I think RIM is lying about the Playbook.. I don't think it can do what they say it can do.

;-)

That alleged comment is strictly for the RIM shareholders
  • Reply 46 of 90
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Apparently five years is magic.

I was just in Borders in downtown Boston (stranded here by the blizzard). I saw fourteen different Apple product magazines (iPad, iPhone, Apps and Macs) and just two PC related ones on the computer magazine shelf. I was quite shocked to be honest as I haven't even looked at the magazine shelf in years but wow, that sure tells a story about Apple's Magic going main stream!
  • Reply 47 of 90
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I was just in Borders in downtown Boston (stranded here by the blizzard). I saw fourteen different Apple product magazines (iPad, iPhone, Apps and Macs) and just two PC related ones on the computer magazine shelf. I was quite shocked to be honest as I haven't even looked at the magazine shelf in years but wow, that sure tells a story about Apple's Magic going main stream!

Wow! Times have changed.
  • Reply 48 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I agree with almost all of this.

What a lot of the players in this game also don't seem to realise is that it's a new *platform* we are talking about, not just particular devices. Even if the playbook has good performance, irons out all the glitches in their new OS and comes out on time (all highly improbable actually), they still have to very rapidly build a huge following to even compete with the iOS platform.

WebOS is the perfect example in that it's already available, and already competitive feature wise with iPhone. It's far better for the average user than the mess that is Blackberry or Android, far easier to use, responsive, innovative, attractive, etc. etc. ... but it still fails (at least so far) to get any traction against iOS. For any of these OS vendors to even get in the game, they need to attract and energise a huge following for their platform devices.

Palm had the advantage of putting out a more fully formed product in terms of an OS before Google with Android. It was nothing short of a miracle considering how long it took Google and Microsoft to do the same thing. The problem was that Palm as a company was in a terrible state...not unlike Apple in 1996-1997. With limited budget, they put most of their efforts in the software on the assumption that they still had enough expertise to do a decent piece of hardware since they had been doing that side of the business for a very long time. It was a good business decision but the execution for the hardware wasn't enough to compete with the iPhone or even decent Blackberry form factors. Combine that with a developer program that wasn't ready early and a carrier (Sprint) in nearly as much trouble as they were quickly led to Palm losing whatever momentum and goodwill that they had on launch. Battling Apple over iTunes access was a needless sideshow. And when Android phones got quickly better, that pretty much killed off any reason to get a Palm phone as an alternative to iPhone.
  • Reply 49 of 90
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    Quote:

Umm..no. Maybe for the car radio, GPS and HVAC system, but not an interface for the driving itself. When you have a bug on a computer, you reboot. When you have a bug in a car, you can be seriously injured. It's very dangerous to change the UI of a car. Everyone has to be able to walk into any car and drive it safely. That's why Consumer Reports (not that I like them) has always been opposed to new models which change the position of shifters, wipers, etc. Do you want Steve telling you that you have to "drive it like this"?

But I will admit that the electronics industry does need serious help. Just look at the user guide to any A/V Receiver. And then look at postings boards where even the nerds and techies can't figure out what's going on. The other problem is that the electronics industry is putting redundant functionality in Blu-ray players, A/V receivers and in the TVs themselves. So there's Ethernet and/or WiFi access in all three. So either you can access NetFlix in all three places or one service only links to one and another service only links to another. (And AppleTV links to none). And unlike Apple, the industry pretty much refuses to give up legacy inputs/outputs so every receiver still has multiple composite, S-video, component and HDMI video inputs because they're too afraid to get rid of any inputs.

This makes no sense. But an Apple approach would simplify the whole thing and make it easier to use, but would probably reduce audio/video quality and flexibility in the name of simplicity.
  • Reply 50 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Amazing observation, digitalclips....I remember looking at the magazine rack years ago, too and saw the plethora of PC magazines...

The one thing that struck me back then was most of the covers said things like..."88 fixes to your PC!" "Speed up your PC" "How to recover your data on a PC! and on and on. No joke!

Back then I was going to take the last 24 covers of PCWorld and see how many had major "Fix-it" type titles like the above....but I was too busy!

Best
  • Reply 51 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

Had I lots of free time and a decent soldering iron, I'd make sure the next generation of cars had options for a snap-in space that could accommodate an iPad or iPhone where most cars have that big screen that can't ever do anything different than what it was born doing.

Oh, and I can't fab for beans, the soldering iron would only be to fend off the violent hoards of engineers who would be redundant after this happens.

Dashboard GUI made loads of advances until they started getting more complicated than a pushbutton radio. And that includes the Lexi with the Very Important Knobby Thing on the bottom of the center console. You know, the place where everything spills. Did the hermetically sealed keys on Saabs teach them nothing?

Good ideas...jpell, but I must have spent a $100 just on three different docks for my iPhone 1, 2 for the 3Gs and now the iPhone 4's shape. I decided not buy a dock for the iPhone 4. But I fear it will be similar with the iPad....The second gen iPad will no doubt, be thinner....

But I would rather have an iPad on the center console than any of the current screens. I was looking to replace my Jag XK8 a couple of years ago and the $90,000 car's BT could not handle an iPhone. Unbelievable. May have changed now though.

PS. I vaguely remember a Ferrari, sans a radio, but had a dock where you placed an iPod Touch horizontally which acted as the car's audio system.

Best
  • Reply 52 of 90
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Good ideas...jpell, but I must have spent a $100 just on three different docks for my iPhone 1, 2 for the 3Gs and now the iPhone 4's shape. I decided not buy a dock for the iPhone 4.

FYI: The original iPhone has the benefit of being usable with the iPhone 4.
  • Reply 53 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

FYI: The original iPhone has the benefit of being usable with the iPhone 4.

Thanks Solip...but when I sold my original iPhone, I included the dock! Drats!

Best
  • Reply 54 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If only AI had noted it was not a verified fact, like, by starting off the article with the word "alleged"¡

It's a verified fact that it was a comment by someonez in the internetz. Not a "report".

Quote:

It's great how you keep your mouth shut about AI's reporting when they mention negative rumoura about Apple.

Spare me with your fanboyism. It stinks like hell. I'll keep my "mouth" shut whenever I please, thank you very much.

What a twat.
  • Reply 55 of 90
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

Check out the touchscreen on the Tesla Model S. I wish they would just use an iPad.
  • Reply 56 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

RIM may not be lying about what they THINK the Playbook can do. The key for the Playbook is how it does what they say (or THINK) it does. If it isn't easy, intuitive and productive, it will fail.

It depends on what you mean by 'can do'

If you are talk in about running Flash and having a camera etc then yes it can

If you mean knock the iPad out of the corporate market time will tell
  • Reply 57 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Since the iPad was a revolutionary form factor for a tablet,

Interesting, because I see more evolutiontary, especially after seeing the iPhone. As I recall Jobs said they released the iPhone/touch first to get folks warmed up to the idea of carrying a mobile device with them all the time. Making it big and a little more computer like was a natural step.

The revolution was merely that iPhone had the cajones to release anything which was so different from the norm. Jobs still gets flack over his 'the only stylus you need is your finger' comments.

Quote:

I believe that the earliest the PlayBook can be released in any reasonable quantity and stage of completion is Jul 2011

I don't know, depending on how far along, it could be earlier.

That said unless it is Jan/Feb I agree that they could find themselves trumped by iPad 2.0. Especially since it is possible that Apple could announce and release within days of each other, depending on the internals and required approvals. And the folks currently using iPads in their businesses will likely wait to see what 2.0 looks like before they jump over, so any one else will have to be pretty amazing and preferably cheaper to change that tide
  • Reply 58 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timfucius View Post

Nobody really buys Blackberries anymore.

MBA's love them.
  • Reply 59 of 90
    Of course RIM will be saying their PlayBook will be better than the iPad. They're in denial, but the truth is it's gonna be another HP Slate 500 - sell a few to businesses, not customers, they need to aim at customers, that's how Apple did it.

I'm a tablet person, I know a lot on it. The Apple iPad is REVOLUTIONARY, it changed the entire market, if RIM thinks they could throw some stamps on their device they are sadly mistaken, they are gonna try to follow the iPad but sadly fail. The Samsung Galaxy Tab probably will have 10x the number of sales! RIM doesn't have a prayer.

Their best bet is to announce their device is vaporware and drop out. They can't compete, I know the PlayBook would have horrid battery life, it will be buggy, and not provide a nice interface like the iPad. These people say apps are a fad, are they stupid?

RIM is probably gonna be bought out by Apple in 2 years to use as a testing place.
  • Reply 60 of 90
    It would be quite something if they revealed iPad 2.0 with 2048*1536 resolution, but it seems a bit premature . Now that would be awesome. Perhaps around 2013...