Apple targeting iPad at corporate buyers with Verizon

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

Anyone who doesn't wear jeans can fit a 7inch tablet in their pocket. Dress pant pockets are rather large, after all, and most professions that require them prefer that your pants arn't painted on. It's also practically the perfect size for a lot of Scrub pockets.

The 7" tablet is another netbook fiasco waiting to unravel.

I don't use a tablet in my pocket, so from that standpoint the size is meaningless.

7" tablets don't exist because they make sense, they exist because manufacturers can't match Apple's price point for the same size display. Period.

Just like netbooks, 7" tablets were birthed with cost as the primary motivating factor. And as with all other devices before that were designed with price as the primary motivator, the usability will suffer. Sure, there will be those willing to make excuses or rationalize the shortcomings - but there is also Apple who presents devices that are a well-rounded and well-engineered whole, where many variables - not just price - are factored into the equation. Chief among those is "What will this device be like to for the average person to use?".

Based on that, I don't see Apple ever producing a 7" tablet, nor do I see 7" tablets providing any tangible threat to the iPads continued dominance.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Corporate buyers don't carry backpacks. Hey Dude, is that a Playbook in your pocket or ...?

Nope - they carry briefcases - so why compromise on a 7" tablet when you can have a 10" tablet?
  • Reply 23 of 33
    Quote:

Most winter coats have an interior pocket that's large enough for a 7inch tablet. Sure, maybe high end designer coats don't, but the coats that business people (what blackberry is targeting) get do. And even if they don't, you can fit a 7" tablet (sans case) in most pants pockets.

And what about the summer?

Quote:

Anyone who doesn't wear jeans can fit a 7inch tablet in their pocket. Dress pant pockets are rather large, after all, and most professions that require them prefer that your pants arn't painted on. It's also practically the perfect size for a lot of Scrub pockets.

I must be wearing odd pants then, because I don't want to walk around with a 7" tablet in my pants pocket.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

I hope Apple comes out with a revolutionary cloud solution for corporations and individuals respectively. The key to winning the world over to tablet computing lies in a cloud solution that is truly revolutionary on the internet, intranet and extranet environments. The current cloud applications, the storage and the security so far have been rather ordinary and similar to older methods of computing.

Something truly ground breaking is needed and I am curious to see what Apple does with the new North Carolina data center.

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/t...ta-center-faq/

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/t...er-faq-part-2/

Time will tell.

So you apparently live in a world where there is internet 'all the time' around you? I love my iPad, but I seldom have access to the 'cloud'. I'm more in favor of an increase in flash storage. 128 would fit my bill. Honestly I think they should have an Elite model that has the best of bests!
  • Reply 25 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I can't help but think that the iPad is the cause of all the CDMA etc rumors, not the iPhone. A single series of iPads that could be used anywhere on any carrier would be huge. Especially if they could bring the price closer to the current wifi only

I think you're closer to the actual point on this than any post so far. Steve said "We're out to win this", when he was asked about the iPad. I don't take that litely. Hopefully he's thinking of the PC war and realizing he has to stay on top!
  • Reply 26 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

So does a ham sandwich... your point?

Ahem!
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Ahem!

Lamb, ham, chicken and spam...

PPE... Present poster excepted
  • Reply 28 of 33
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I don't believe you can compare the utility of an iPhone with that of an iPad -- any more than comparing an iPad to a 27" desktop.

The problem with the 7" form factor is that it doesn't offer enough advantage over an iPhone, yet it sacrifices portability and the ability to be used a a phone.

This!
  • Reply 29 of 33
    Quote:

Most winter coats have an interior pocket that's large enough for a 7inch tablet. Sure, maybe high end designer coats don't, but the coats that business people (what blackberry is targeting) get do. And even if they don't, you can fit a 7" tablet (sans case) in most pants pockets.

I'm not going to argue ecosystem, but when you're talking size, there is a deff market for a 7 inch tablet device.

An iPad fits in the inside pocket of a Crombie overcoat
  • Reply 30 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

The 7" tablet is another netbook fiasco waiting to unravel.

Just like netbooks, 7" tablets were birthed with cost as the primary motivating factor.

Agreed. 7-inch tablets are price-driven.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sciwiz View Post

If it can fit in a PJ pocket, it will fit in a coat pocket. (Samsung Tab and RIM Playbook are both 7" screens)

Image from CrunchGear: Link

Sits down. Gear>CRUNCH!
  • Reply 32 of 33
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Sits down. Gear>CRUNCH!

+1
  • Reply 33 of 33
    Quote:

Despite a variety of new tablet products being introduced by licensees of Android and Microsoft's Windows 7, as well as new products being promised by BlackBerry maker RIM (the PlayBook, shown below) and Palm's new owner HP, Jobs said he wasn't worried about competitors.

To compete with the iPad, they need to build a tablet that has the same form factor. A 7" tablet is not even close to the same form factor. Ergo, it won't compete.

Game over, dudes.