Safari keeps freezing-how to get out of it?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Safari keeps freezing on certain pages, ball spins around and I don't have mouse control. Is there a way to quit the app or restart if i don't have mouse control without having to just press the power button to turn it off?

In windows you can at least hit control-alt-delete.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    Install Click2Flash or Click2Plugin.

Maybe also update Flash to the 10.2 beta.
  • Reply 2 of 47
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    This isn't flash related, I have glimmer blocker.

What I want to know is what to do if this happens in safari? Or anything else actually. is there a way to quit that app or restart the computer without having to shut the power button off?
  • Reply 3 of 47
    Command-Option-Esc brings up the "Force-Quit" window... you'll need either mouse or keyboard functionality to select the App you want to quit though.
  • Reply 4 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steve666 View Post

This isn't flash related, I have glimmer blocker.

What I want to know is what to do if this happens in safari? Or anything else actually. is there a way to quit that app or restart the computer without having to shut the power button off?

Yeah, just Force Quit it in the Dock or the Apple menu.

Why in the world are you still using GlimmerBlocker? Get Safari 5 and the Adblock extension. It'll run much better.
  • Reply 5 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Command-Option-Esc brings up the "Force-Quit" window... you'll need either mouse or keyboard functionality to select the App you want to quit though.

I thought I tried that and it didn't work. I will try that again if it happens again. I have keyboard functionality, just not the mouse.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, just Force Quit it in the Dock or the Apple menu.

Why in the world are you still using GlimmerBlocker? Get Safari 5 and the Adblock extension. It'll run much better.

I can't force quit in the dock because the mouse doesn't function.

I was using adblock and someone convinced me to switch to glimmerblocker for some reason, I think because it supposedly worked better. I'll switch back and see what happens.
  • Reply 6 of 47
    I'm concerned by your report of a frozen mouse cursor. Are you sure you're seeing this in other apps when Safari is stalled? You can't even move the spinning beach ball? What are you doing to escape this problem now?
  • Reply 7 of 47
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Apple has a useful list of shortcuts to use:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1343

When the UI locks up, your only option usually is to do a force logout (Option-Shift-Command-Q) before you have to do a hard reset.

You can also tap the power button once to sleep to make sure it isn't writing anything to the drive before powering down.

Does Safari freeze up on the same pages every time and does it only happen using Safari and no other programs?
  • Reply 8 of 47
    Safari should not have the ability to completely lock up the UI, so I'd want to know for sure if that's what's happening here. "Pulling the plug" either literally or by forcing the Mac to shut down can be deadly for hard drive directories. That could even be the source of the problem.
  • Reply 9 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I'm concerned by your report of a frozen mouse cursor. Are you sure you're seeing this in other apps when Safari is stalled? You can't even move the spinning beach ball? What are you doing to escape this problem now?

Basically I get a twirling ball , the same kind that shows when a youtube video has tried loading (not the beach ball) and moving the mouse does nothing (no arrow at all). This only happens when opening a web page in safari. The only escape I have found is to press the power button on the Mini in until the computer shuts down and then I restart it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Apple has a useful list of shortcuts to use:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1343

When the UI locks up, your only option usually is to do a force logout (Option-Shift-Command-Q) before you have to do a hard reset.

You can also tap the power button once to sleep to make sure it isn't writing anything to the drive before powering down.

Does Safari freeze up on the same pages every time and does it only happen using Safari and no other programs?

I tried tapping the button to make it sleep but it didn't help. It only happens with safari and not a specific page.

Quote:

Safari should not have the ability to completely lock up the UI, so I'd want to know for sure if that's what's happening here. "Pulling the plug" either literally or by forcing the Mac to shut down can be deadly for hard drive directories. That could even be the source of the problem.

Basically the mouse becomes unusable, its not the apple beach ball though, it is a spinning wheel with spaces in between if that makes sense.
  • Reply 10 of 47
    The cursor behavior you describe is unfamiliar to me. At this point, I'm concerned about all those hard shutdowns. Do you know how to run Disk Utility on your hard drive?
  • Reply 11 of 47
    Quote:

The cursor behavior you describe is unfamiliar to me. At this point, I'm concerned about all those hard shutdowns. Do you know how to run Disk Utility on your hard drive?

Yes, I will run it to make sure everything is ok, thanks for the reminder.

The cursor is more of a web page thing, but if you've never had issues with youtube you may have never seen it. At times a video will pause like its thinking or trying to catch up and there is a spinning icon
  • Reply 12 of 47
    Have you tried simply waiting it out?
  • Reply 13 of 47
    Quote:

Have you tried simply waiting it out?

Yup, no luck
  • Reply 14 of 47
    I think someone else has already suggested this, but what version of Flash are you running?
  • Reply 15 of 47
    Quote:

I think someone else has already suggested this, but what version of Flash are you running?

The latest, I checked
  • Reply 16 of 47
    Your description of that spinning wheel conjures up an image of the spinning wheel on the grey background that you get when you start up, just before the full color login screen. That would suggest there is an issue with the HD. Did you run SMART reporter in Disk Utilities yet? Repaired permissions?

If I were you my very first order of business at this point would be to ensure I have a good backup data set!
  • Reply 17 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

Your description of that spinning wheel conjures up an image of the spinning wheel on the grey background that you get when you start up, just before the full color login screen. That would suggest there is an issue with the HD. Did you run SMART reporter in Disk Utilities yet? Repaired permissions?

If I were you my very first order of business at this point would be to ensure I have a good backup data set!

That is a good description of the icon. I'm starting to wonder if glimmer blocker is the issue though, maybe it is trying to block a flash ad and having issues?

I repaired permissions with YASU but haven't run disk utility yet-will do when I get home from work
  • Reply 18 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steve666 View Post

haven't run disk utility yet-will do when I get home from work

You could do that from work, or from wherever you are, and not have to wait until you get home, with a certain, FREE, but not to be named* remote desktop management application.

*because considered spam by Marvin.

But I'll tell you if you PM me.
  • Reply 19 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

You could do that from work, or from wherever you are, and not have to wait until you get home, with a certain, FREE, but not to be named* remote desktop management application.

*because considered spam by Marvin.

But I'll tell you if you PM me.

No thanks, my computer is off when go to work
  • Reply 20 of 47
    Don't worry, we can wait if you can.