Skype for iPhone video calling now available; volume shutter app removed

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 38
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Richardgm View Post


    Skype has had Push Notifications for many versions now.



    Skype was actually one if the first apps to use Local Push Notifications. Combined with the VOIP background threading in iOS 4 it allowed you to actually be notified of an incoming call in real time. Some people actually wanted APN network notifications, but they would have been next to useless for a VOIP system because of the latency. They might have been good enough to notify you of missed calls.



    But yes, skype with live notifications of incoming calls is old news. It could only be done properly on iOS with local notifications and background VoIP, but it is there. Actually, steve use skype as the demo when he originally previewed iOS 4 and the multitasking features.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    radjinradjin Posts: 165member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post


    "...quietly removed..." As opposed to what? Banging pots and pans together?



    If Apple and at&t allow Skype to do video over 3G, why the heck doesn't FT work over 3G? Jobs quipped that it was the carriers restriction. What gives?



    Have you ever started talking on a 3G call using the speaker phone then switched to FaceTime? The quality improvement will blow you away... I almost hate to call home using the cell after FT was invented.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    I just tested the new Skype iPhone app. The video chat was between Atlanta GA and New York NY. Skype worked wonderfully. The image quality is similar to FaceTime, but the UI of Skype was a little foreign to me, but I'm sure that will change after a few calls.



    As a FaceTime AND Skype user, I'm very happy with this update. I'm not of the opinion that you must choose between FaceTime and Skype... they can live together. That said, with the limitations of FaceTime (WiFi only, iPod Touch, iPhone and Mac users only, etc.) I think Skype is the more interesting technology for the industry. I live in a world where people use Windows systems (for better or worse), and I would like to be able to video chat via 3G.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,484member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bodypainter View Post


    apple also misuses the volume button! apple also violates their own rules! set an alarm and wait until it starts. press the volume UP button, and the alarm will stop!



    if apple would follow its own rules, the alarm sound would have to be louder, but it stops! so obviously APPLE REMAPPED this button in alarm with the SNOOZE function!!!



    iOS 4.1 or higher does NOT remap the volume-up button to be an alarm snooze button.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitzandbitez View Post


    Does anyone really use FaceTime? it seems like such a great idea until U use it. U have 2 hold the iPhone @ arm's length if U don't want ya face 2 look distorted, & then U have 2 shout @ the phone 2 make yourself heard.



    Besides, most people's faces don't look so good on camera, they're used 2 seeing themselves in a mirror, so the reversed image of their face can B quite jarring, i was so excited to get FaceTime, but on the first use, I decided I need 2 get a wig and extensive plastic surgery..



    (i pilfered this from a tech blog... i would NEVER wear a wig..

    now the plastic surgery well thats another thing all together..)



    I used it once with a Mac to new iPod touch test call. It has its uses, but with the current restrictions to Wi-Fi, iOS devices, and Macs actually getting to use it is few and far between. Right now, it suffers the same problems as iChat (which it is redundant to), works great but their inability to work with others limits practicality.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    I use Facetime or Tango at least 3-4 times a week to communicate with my family, but mostly with my daughter who lives in another city with my new grand daughter. It has it's audio problems, but that is solved by plugging in an earphone or bluetooth piece.

    Mobile video chat is an excellent marketing tool for the masses. It has it's place in mobile communications.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post


    Skype was actually one if the first apps to use Local Push Notifications. Combined with the VOIP background threading in iOS 4 it allowed you to actually be notified of an incoming call in real time. Some people actually wanted APN network notifications, but they would have been next to useless for a VOIP system because of the latency. They might have been good enough to notify you of missed calls.



    Missed calls is the most common notification you'll get according to my experience. I have a California Skype number that my contacts can call and it rings on my iPhone when I'm on wifi. I was in Central America recently and the iPhone would ring but unless I answered it on the first ring the call would always go to voice mail. After speaking later with my caller they said it rang several times before going to voice mail. I think the problem is that the rings that the caller hears are not the same rings I receive on my iPhone. I have read on the Skype forum several other people having similar issues. Maybe this has been addressed in the new version.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitzandbitez View Post


    Does anyone really use FaceTime? it seems like such a great idea until U use it. U have 2 hold the iPhone @ arm's length if U don't want ya face 2 look distorted, & then U have 2 shout @ the phone 2 make yourself heard.



    Besides, most people's faces don't look so good on camera, they're used 2 seeing themselves in a mirror, so the reversed image of their face can B quite jarring, i was so excited to get FaceTime, but on the first use, I decided I need 2 get a wig and extensive plastic surgery..



    (i pilfered this from a tech blog... i would NEVER wear a wig..

    now the plastic surgery well thats another thing all together..)



    problem with facetime is you need a mac or idevice. most people don't want to spend more than $500 on a laptop
  • Reply 29 of 38
    Downloaded the Skype update today, did a few Skype video calls on WIFI and then on 3G,..

    Let me tell you both WIFI and 3G were better quality than the 'Fring app,.. however the Skype 'WIFI' video calling quality is now where near as good as 'faceTime',..



    Come on Apple get FC on 3G and you have a winner here,..
  • Reply 30 of 38
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    Missed calls is the most common notification you'll get according to my experience. I have a California Skype number that my contacts can call and it rings on my iPhone when I'm on wifi. I was in Central America recently and the iPhone would ring but unless I answered it on the first ring the call would always go to voice mail. After speaking later with my caller they said it rang several times before going to voice mail. I think the problem is that the rings that the caller hears are not the same rings I receive on my iPhone. I have read on the Skype forum several other people having similar issues. Maybe this has been addressed in the new version.



    Sounds like it could be a delay introduced by the VoIP thread provided by the OS. Maybe due to the phone being in sleepmode.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post


    problem with facetime is you need a mac or idevice. most people don't want to spend more than $500 on a laptop



    FaceTime is open though so this won't necessarily be true for long. In fact it's likely to have fully functional Windows and Mac clients before February. Also, FaceTime is just plain easier to use.



    The fact that FaceTime works seamlessly with whatever devices you own and has zero setup works in it's favour. Skype is not exactly *hard* to use, but it's not exactly simple either and generally requires user account setup to be done on a computer ahead of time (at least to get all the features). This then has to be managed to some degree.



    With FaceTime, the user simply has to find the FaceTime button when making a call.



    Personally, I think FaceTime will take off like a rocket when they come out with the desktop clients in the new year. I've showed the Mac beta client to a few people now and they were suitably impressed. It seems that very few people realise that desktop clients are in the mix and currently think of FaceTime as a "phone-to-phone" thing.



    I have a Skype account, but I can't see ever paying for it when FaceTime is better quality, free, and doesn't require me to have separate "internet phone numbers" etc. I'm sure someone will reply with an account of how I can get all this for free on Skype as well, but the point is I don't want to get involved in figuring out how all that will work. I don't want to worry about *another* phone account, I already hate "managing" the one I have (minutes, time restrictions, etc.).



    FaceTime just works and you don't have to think about it. It's also the very first time a lot of folks have been introduced to video calling and that alone will drive it as the standard.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    I'm very pleased Skype has put video calls onto the iPhone, and this is pretty much the end of Facetime for me. Whilst I've been quite impressed with the quality of Facetime, and it's integration within the iPhone is nice, for me it's benefits aren't enough to outweigh the fact that I've been using Skype for years, and I can't see my contacts bothering to switch over to Facetime when Skype is equally easy to use and with 3G connectivity, actually more useful.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    Skype, lookout for traffic. You are warned!
  • Reply 34 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post


    I'm very pleased Skype has put video calls onto the iPhone, and this is pretty much the end of Facetime for me.



    The problem with Skype on iPhone is that it logs you out when you loose connection, so you can't be reached until you check the Skype app and log in again.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post


    The problem with Skype on iPhone is that it logs you out when you loose connection, so you can't be reached until you check the Skype app and log in again.



    Go to settings > Skype > Sign in Automatically > On



    Go Offline > Never



    That should fix your problem.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    I have a Skype account, but I can't see ever paying for it when FaceTime is better quality, free, and doesn't require me to have separate "internet phone numbers" etc. I'm sure someone will reply with an account of how I can get all this for free on Skype as well, but the point is I don't want to get involved in figuring out how all that will work. I don't want to worry about *another* phone account, I already hate "managing" the one I have (minutes, time restrictions, etc.).



    All communication apps require a little set up to be useful. One nice feature about Skype is that so many people are using it to communicate to other countries. That might not seem like such a big deal if most of your live communication needs are national in scope. For me, I use it all the time for communicating with clients and friends abroad. We almost never use the video chat feature anyway, mostly just voice and a lot of text chat. I think Skype offering a competing feature to FaceTime is irrelevant for most users. The fact that FaceTime doesn't offer an integrated text chat, voice only calling, file transfer, voice mail, online status etc. is a big disadvantage compared to Skype. Sure, Apple has all those functions, but each one is in some other app and doesn't integrate very well.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    Go to settings > Skype > Sign in Automatically > On



    Go Offline > Never



    That should fix your problem.



    I have both these things set right since the beginning.

    Skype keeps dropping the connection regurlaly
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scafe2 View Post


    Downloaded the Skype update today, did a few Skype video calls on WIFI and then on 3G,..

    Let me tell you both WIFI and 3G were better quality than the 'Fring app,.. however the Skype 'WIFI' video calling quality is now where near as good as 'faceTime',..



    Come on Apple get FC on 3G and you have a winner here,..



    Don't blame Apple. I believe it was demanded by att to keep it from further embarrassment. I'll bet that Verizon will allow it at iPhone debut, since they will derive more revenue from data charges, and must believe they can offer FT without a problem, getting a competitive edge (until att decides it must allow FT also to remain competitive). Then the data war will start in earnest, as every teen insists on "Facebook time is Facetime". Let the bandwidth race begin -- Gentlemen, start your networks!
Sign In or Register to comment.