Last day for holiday discount pricing on Apple's entire family of Macs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
With 2010 rapidly coming to an end, so are a handful of holiday sales from Apple's authorized resellers who are offering deep discounts of up to $250 on Mac notebooks and desktops through midnight.

In particular, the websites of leading Apple resellers MacMall and MacConnection both indicate that their holiday sales on Macs will expire this evening at 11:59 pacific time.

The two have offered the most aggressive discounts on new systems since the weeks leading up to Black Friday, but both have historically pared back such pricing with the start of each new year.

As it stands, MacConnection continues to offer the lowest prices across Apple's MacBook, MacBook Pro and iMac families, while MacMall retains the lowest prices on the company's new fleet of MacBook Airs through exclusive discount coupons available only to AppleInsider readers.

Those coupons and other discounts are embedded within the links in AppleInsider's Mac Pricing Guide (also below), meaning buyers do not have to enter any codes manually at checkout.

A small portion of the proceeds from each Mac sale made online through the Mac Pricing Guide go towards helping support AppleInsider.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,645member
    I think my 2006 MBP can wait until 2012.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Old discounts expire, new discounts arrive. No reason to hurry.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

I fully except my need to get a new MBP each year is extreme, but I think waiting 6 years between upgrades is also extreme.

Note that Mac OS X Lion is due out in 2011 and I would doubt it will be supported on systems that don?t have 64-bit processors. But I also wonder if it will be supported on systems with 32-bit memory addressing (IOW, pre-Santa Rosa chipsets), which would mean that no MBP before 2007 will get Mac OS X 10.7 ?Lion?. Is 4 years enough time to make a cut off for a major OS release when the rate of growth makes adding that 5th year only account for a sliver of a percentage of users?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

It is amazing how long Macs last and remain serviceable. I have a 2006 iMac core duo and it still runs quite well with Snow Leopard 10.6.5 - 24 hours a day, never turns off. It would bring maybe $150 on Ebay but since it runs fine, I'll just keep it, at least until the OS can no longer be updated, which will probably be 10.7, if it goes 64 bit only.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I fully except my need to get a new MBP each year is extreme, but I think waiting 6 years between upgrades is also extreme.

Some people don't have the money to do the 2, 3, or 4 year upgrades that many people astonishingly can.

We had our LC 575 as our main computer until we got our iMac G3 DV, and then we kept that until we got our first-gen Core 2 iMac that my family still uses as a primary machine.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Note that Mac OS X Lion is due out in 2011 and I would doubt it will be supported on systems that don?t have 64-bit processors. But I also wonder if it will be supported on systems with 32-bit memory addressing (IOW, pre-Santa Rosa chipsets), which would mean that no MBP before 2007 will get Mac OS X 10.7 ?Lion?. Is 4 years enough time to make a cut off for a major OS release when the rate of growth makes adding that 5th year only account for a sliver of a percentage of users?

Lion will likely motivate me... maybe. But it's actual usage that determines how useful a machine is, not the capabilities of the latest OS.

My laptop is for emailing and TV surfing. I don't need 64 bits for that. I'm not getting stuttering video online yet, not even high def.

It runs great and still seems as fast as the day I bought it. Intel processors are way better than the G4 ever was. Even the slowest Dual core is better (1.83MHz).

Besides, I have a quad core 27 inch iMac for real work.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It is amazing how long Macs last and remain serviceable. I have a 2006 iMac core duo and it still runs quite well with Snow Leopard 10.6.5 - 24 hours a day, never turns off. It would bring maybe $150 on Ebay but since it runs fine, I'll just keep it, at least until the OS can no longer be updated, which will probably be 10.7, if it goes 64 bit only.

I have a similar situation to you .... 24" 2006 iMac core duo ... but still running Tiger. I bought the SL install disc but still trying to decide which method to use to install. How did you do it .... erase and install or just install over tiger? How was your install experience? TIA ...
  • Reply 8 of 8
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

I have a similar situation to you .... 24" 2006 iMac core duo ... but still running Tiger. I bought the SL install disc but still trying to decide which method to use to install. How did you do it .... erase and install or just install over tiger? How was your install experience? TIA ...

Straight upgrade - no issues.