Purported next-gen iPad cases being taken down

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why? Do you have ANY reason to think this? The last iPad came out in April. The announcement and simultaneous release of the 2nd gen iPad is therefore incredibly likely to be ALSO in April.

iDevices get one update a year, every year, on the year.

Simple. The competition is scrambling to release its tablets ASAP and the only target right now is the current iPad. Some of them might take a good run at it.

But if Apple dramatically raises the bar before the competition's first-gen products hit the marketplace, Apple maintains its healthy lead. April is far too long for Apple to wait. It opens the door to Apple losing some momentum, whereas if a new iPad is in stores by the end of this month, that will not happen.

The competition is too far along in preparing its products to respond quickly to whatever Apple does with the new version.

It's important that Apple get the timing right and by having sold far more iPads than anyone could have imagined, Apple has more than recovered its initial development costs so it's not a problem releasing a new version less than a year after widespread availability of the current version.

I've been wrong often but I'm going to stick with my prediction of a January launch of iPad Version 2. By the way, Apple made the original announcement about the iPad in January of 2010, so in one regard, a year has passed.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Simple. The competition is scrambling to release its tablets ASAP and the only target right now is the current iPad. Some of them might take a good run at it.

But if Apple dramatically raises the bar before the competition's first-gen products hit the marketplace, Apple maintains its healthy lead. April is far too long for Apple to wait. It opens the door to Apple losing some momentum, whereas if a new iPad is in stores by the end of this month, that will not happen.

The competition is too far along in preparing its products to respond quickly to whatever Apple does with the new version.

It's important that Apple get the timing right and by having sold far more iPads than anyone could have imagined, Apple has more than recovered its initial development costs so it's not a problem releasing a new version less than a year after widespread availability of the current version.

I've been wrong often but I'm going to stick with my prediction of a January launch of iPad Version 2. By the way, Apple made the original announcement about the iPad in January of 2010, so in one regard, a year has passed.

You're point is certainly valid but not to be ignored is the point, IMHO, that's it's software that has put Apple so far ahead in the tablet segment. We're all anticipating iPad v2 but I'm not anticipating a quantum leap on the software side versus the current iPad. Nor am I expecting the competition to close much of the gap on the software side, either.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Exactly, so there's no reason for Apple to follow anyone's schedule but their own. They don't like releasing products in January. Hence, no MacWorld attendance anymore.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Exactly, so there's no reason for Apple to follow anyone's schedule but their own. They don't like releasing products in January. Hence, no MacWorld attendance anymore.

I think you?ve said this before yet it?s pointed out numerous times that they had an event last year in January, not to mention the many Macs (an established product) that have been announced in January and then shipped later. There is a clear history and sound marketing reasons for all of this.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gary54 View Post

Rumors have it that the new iPad with have a teletransporter! Who needs video conferencing when you can instantly transport yourself and talk to the person .. in person! Making telephones obsolete overnight!

This was announced already. It's called iPhone Scotty and is supposed to be available by the 12th of never.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is not a "30-pin USB" port, that is Apple?s proprietary and licensable port interface.

...the sort of thing that validates the oldest joke in the Mac world:

Q: How many Apple employees does it take to change a light bulb?

A: Three: one engineer to design a better but slightly non-standard light bulb, a second engineer to design a better but slightly non-standard socket for it, and a marketing executive to kill the program when it fails to meet sales projections.

Let's hope they go with a universal standard instead.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

BTW, why are all you guys browsing AI on New Years Eve? Isn't it party time?

I'm in Japan. Your New Years eve is my waking up in the afternoon and logging on with some Japanese macha and osechi then going to the temple and praying for a new iMac.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Quote:

If you have a lead, it's prudent to maintain that lead. Apple consistently has done that with its iPod line.

It's not so much a matter of following anyone else's schedule so much as it's about intelligently timing its product releases for the best bang for the buck.

Simply put, let competitors prepare an onslaught against the iPad as it is speced out now only, have the iPad by the time that assault is launched, be a more capable device. It's as if Apple were competing against itself in the sense that it probably looks at the current iPad and asks what it could do better were it to compete against it. The competition is welcome to do the same but its Apple that will always take that extra step.

Why would Apple wait until April to bring out an update? Doing so would slow momentum in a space that is new. On the other hand, maintain that momentum and Apple will dominate a category it created.

Don't forget that Apple had pretty much finalized the iPad long before it was available for sale in April. I imagine there has been plenty of time to conjure up new specs and to incorporate some of the feedback received since April into a revision.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

I need to read that book again; it's been a few years. I probably read it twenty times between the ages of 13 and 20.

It would make an excellent movie also. It's a shame that so far there isn't a single director who wants to make a movie of it and yet keep strictly to the book like Card insists.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It would make an excellent movie also. It's a shame that so far there isn't a single director who wants to make a movie of it and yet keep strictly to the book like Card insists.

The script seems to have issues. I can’t imagine a film comprised mostly of kids spanning about a decade without it being animated. I always though the Final Fantasy animation would work ideally with that story.

You either have to adjust the age differences significantly or use different actors, either of which could easily affect the flow. Harry Potter pushed that limit over 8 films but we’re talking even younger kids and all within the same film. As much as I’d like to see it made I think this shouldn’t happen unless they can work out it out properly.

That said, the tech James Cameron used in Avatar could be the eventual answer to realistic human animations that don’t trigger the uncanny valley effect. Note that Cameron had Orson Scott Card write the novel version for his Abyss script, so there is some affiliation between them already.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    mglmgl Posts: 3member
    I think the iPad 2 needs more software improvements than hardware changes. I've compiled my personal top 10 wishlist items, including thoughts on redesigning the home screen, how to re-introduce an easily-accessible orientation lock without adding another hardware control, and how to make web browsing more enjoyable. iPad 2 wishlist on my personal blog
  • Reply 32 of 32
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted