Intel's new Sandy Bridge processors hacked to run Apple's Mac OS X

Comments

• Reply 41 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I'm so fucked.

Do you even understand the shit you type?

i think so....

if imac's have added 9XX i7's then tri-channel support. last i looked the only model that supported it was mac pro with 6 core cpu. very expensive too.

we were talking about imacs to begin with so i don't know what your problem is.

correction: the quad cores in the mac pro are Intel® Xeon® Processor E5620

which does have 3 memory channels.

i looked at the imacs. still no top end i7's so no tri-channel support.
  • Reply 42 of 69
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

i think so....

if imac's have added 9XX i7's then tri-channel support. last i looked the only model that supported it was mac pro with 6 core cpu. very expensive too.

we were talking about imacs to begin with so i don't know what your problem is.

Your grammar is shit much like your thought processes.

Did your mother drop you on your head when you were an infant?
  • Reply 43 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Your grammar is shit much like your thought processes.

Did your mother drop you on your head when you were an infant?

tsk, tsk. i expected better manners from an 'Apple' user.
  • Reply 44 of 69
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

tsk, tsk. i expected better manners from an 'Apple' user.

I don't expect much from you.
  • Reply 45 of 69
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,435moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

The Geekbench score of 8874 means absolutely nothing to me without a reference point.

I guess I could quit being lazy and just mosey on over to Geekbench, huh? \

It's the same as the 2010 2.8GHz quad-core Mac Pro, which you'd expect as the 2500K is a quad-core desktop chip too at a faster clock speed. Still, it means that the entry i7 iMac could be as fast as last year's entry Mac Pro, which is decent value for money. That's why the Mac Pro can't last. People buy them for 3+ years and they are already outperformed within 12 months by a cheaper machine that comes with a free 27" IPS display.
  • Reply 46 of 69
    gxcadgxcad Posts: 120member
    Quote:

you can't beat the 27" led display from apple. no one that i can find makes a glossy 27" and the only 27" that handles the high resolution is the 27" LCD from Dell which costs more!?

i have to give apple props on that one.

If you like glossy and don't mind a bit of DIY, you can carefully peel the matte coating off of the 27 inch Dell. You still won't get the extra layer of reflectiveness that the glass cover affords on the Apple 27 inch solutions. Also, as far as price, Apple's 27 inch stand alone is $999 but NEVER, EVER goes on sale except maybe on Black Friday - and never more than $100 off tops. Dell on the other hand puts their products on sale several times a year and has coupons up the wazoo. So, while the MSRP may be higher on the Dell, the actual market price is higher on the Apple. In stock form, the color accuracy on the U2711 (the dell 27 inch solution) seems better, and has tons of inputs if you want to hook up your gaming consoles or other gizmos. On the other hand, for aesthetics and build quality, you may prefer the Apple product. Apple's screens also use LED backlighting, which I suppose means more even backlighting, longer MTBF, and better power efficiency/heat? But I've heard consumer class LED is also limited in the color department in its current iteration.

I had to give in and buy the Dell myself despite being an Apple fanboy due to the intense reflectivity on the Apple screens. Damn shame.

The inputs on the Dell are nice, too.
  • Reply 47 of 69
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

thats what i used to think. let's see, my 17" mbp with 4gig ram and 2.66 c2d cost over 4 thousand. divide by 3 and get my cost per year. uggh.

and my 24" imac. cost 3 thousand all said. runs like sh*t with 10.5.6 compared to my dell with ubuntu.

os x is the new windows. bloated and a pain. even itunes and safari updates are requiring a reboot now. stupid.

You're spec gave me 3k on the Apple Canada store. imo even at 3k that's 1k more than a top of the line win 7 GAMER laptop with better specs. For example the MSI GX660R-060US with a Radeon 5870 which is much better than the MBP Nvidia gpu

Top of the line MBP are too expensive. On the other hand, product like MB Air and ipads are so advanced compare to the competition that they are worth there price.
  • Reply 48 of 69
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Well, the benchmarks are out at Anandtech (http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/t...i3-2100-tested)

As expected, Sandy Bridge has great CPU, but the GPU is still....

RUBBISH, PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

No way even the lowest end MacBook would have Sandy Bridge-only graphics. End of story.

(POST NO.003 and final cross-posting For Reference)
  • Reply 49 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webfrasse View Post

Rubbish, plain and simple rubbish.

LOL I just saw you used that term too, referring to something else.
  • Reply 50 of 69
    Quote:

thats what i used to think. let's see, my 17" mbp with 4gig ram and 2.66 c2d cost over 4 thousand. divide by 3 and get my cost per year. uggh.

and my 24" imac. cost 3 thousand all said. runs like sh*t with 10.5.6 compared to my dell with ubuntu.

os x is the new windows. bloated and a pain. even itunes and safari updates are requiring a reboot now. stupid.

I've seen the Sandy Bridge reviews. Yes I would love to have a nice desktop with Sandy Bridge, Nvidia 480 whatever, triple-channel RAM 8GB etc. etc... But at the end of the day even for gaming, Windows has no more use for me.

Driver issues (MOBO)

Driver issues (GPU)

Driver issues (Wireless)

Game issues (Unexplained lags)

Sudden crashes (programs still crash)

Networking lags (Unexplained)

Windows7 Updates (Convoluted and slows things down)

Antivirus

Antimalware

More and more crap DRM and network authentication for gaming,

and all kinds of "wonderful" cloud services

Big hot noisy desktop tower or hot and bulky expensive laptop

I've tried hard this past few months to enjoy my Windows7 PC, but the recent gaming experiences have let me down. Brand new WiFI PCI card as well keeps crashing the router when trying to transfer large files. I'm more or less done with Windows. Sure, great CPU performance but what apps will I be running? What experience and integration?

I see no point spending another $1K to $2K on the latest and greatest hardware when I can't even simply just sit down and enjoy a good gaming experience. I'm think I'm going to start to save up for an Xbox360 and HDTV.
  • Reply 51 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I've seen the Sandy Bridge reviews. Yes I would love to have a nice desktop with Sandy Bridge, Nvidia 480 whatever, triple-channel RAM 8GB etc. etc... But at the end of the day even for gaming, Windows has no more use for me.

Driver issues (MOBO)

Driver issues (GPU)

Driver issues (Wireless)

Game issues (Unexplained lags)

Sudden crashes (programs still crash)

Networking lags (Unexplained)

Windows7 Updates (Convoluted and slows things down)

Antivirus

Antimalware

More and more crap DRM and network authentication for gaming,

and all kinds of "wonderful" cloud services

Big hot noisy desktop tower or hot and bulky expensive laptop

I've tried hard this past few months to enjoy my Windows7 PC, but the recent gaming experiences have let me down. Brand new WiFI PCI card as well keeps crashing the router when trying to transfer large files. I'm more or less done with Windows. Sure, great CPU performance but what apps will I be running? What experience and integration?

I see no point spending another $1K to $2K on the latest and greatest hardware when I can't even simply just sit down and enjoy a good gaming experience. I'm think I'm going to start to save up for an Xbox360 and HDTV.

i gave up on the pc gamer rig (and Windows) long ago. i have to use it for work but at home i use ubuntu running on a dell and i do still have my imac. xbox and wii are all i need for games now.
  • Reply 52 of 69
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

if the MBP gets 9 hours life compared to say 6 hours for a Wintel laptop 1/2 to 1/3 the price it may be enough for a lot of people to not buy a MBP

Currently the MBPs do get that kind of battery life (in some situations) and the Windows laptops that actually have similar battery life are typically much closer to the Apple price. If the MBP was already turning out 8 or 9 hours against systems that were doing 4 and 5, and those Windows systems are now doing 8, we could well see a 12-14 hour MBP. Especially if they make more room for even more battery
  • Reply 53 of 69
    chiachia Posts: 714member
    Quote:

thats what i used to think. let's see, my 17" mbp with 4gig ram and 2.66 c2d cost over 4 thousand...runs like sh*t with 10.5.6 compared to my dell with ubuntu.

So it's not worth it for you to spend $30 to gain improved performance with 10.6 Snow Leopard?
  • Reply 54 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

Safari is a ram hog. My 4GB machine frequently runs low. Granted, it can be expanded, but still.

Why do you say this comment what logic do you back this up to?
  • Reply 55 of 69
    Quote:

i gave up on the pc gamer rig (and Windows) long ago. i have to use it for work but at home i use ubuntu running on a dell and i do still have my imac. xbox and wii are all i need for games now.

I am ready to throw my PC gamer rig (and Windows) right out the window (pun unintended).

My next "gaming" thing will be an Xbox... I wish though by now they actually had an Xbox3 with better graphics. Xbox360 graphics are like mid to lower-range PC graphics now. Which is why I don't want to switch yet. Plus for some bizarre reason Xbox360 is not sold officially where I am (Malaysia).

Microsoft, you leave me no choice. Suffering here with my gaming experience. It used to be premium gaming experiences on Windows XP that made it better than consoles just a few years ago!!! WTF HAPPENED??? *SIGH*

If Apple came out with an AppleTV console (dual core ARM 1.5ghz, ATI 6series GPU, OpenGL 2/3) that can support triple-A titles like (trashy yes, but whatever) NFS Hot Pursuit and COD:BlackOps, MW3, UT3, Halo etc etc etc... I'd be on it in a heartbeat.
  • Reply 56 of 69
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

Why do you say this comment what logic do you back this up to?

Safari aggressively caches in RAM, but it tends to have a unfortunate lack of willingness to dump that cached material on any sort of regular basis. Yes it gets a bit faster in the short term, but when Safari can grow to 1.2GB after 2 days browsing without doing a significant cache cleaning on it's own it can rightly be said to be a bit of a RAM hog.

I just relaunch it every couple days to compensate. Not perfect but a workable solution.
  • Reply 57 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

So it's not worth it for you to spend $30 to gain improved performance with 10.6 Snow Leopard?

wrong order....10.6.5 is what i meant....
  • Reply 58 of 69
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,435moderator
    Quote:

Microsoft, you leave me no choice. Suffering here with my gaming experience. It used to be premium gaming experiences on Windows XP that made it better than consoles just a few years ago!!! WTF HAPPENED??? *SIGH*

They sold out. They realised that piracy is damaging to the PC games industry and instead of backing digital distribution like Steam, they bailed. They stopped pushing the dual exclusives and just dropped the PC releases like Oddworld games, Halo 3, Alan Wake, Gears of War 2. It became clear their agenda was vendor lock-in to maximise profits. Sure Windows would be similar but there's the piracy and not quite the incentive to buy games in the way there is for dedicated gaming hardware.

They have brought out their own game store but it's too little too late until they put the big exclusives back on the PC and they seem to be in no rush.

Quote:

If Apple came out with an AppleTV console (dual core ARM 1.5ghz, ATI 6series GPU, OpenGL 2/3) that can support triple-A titles like (trashy yes, but whatever) NFS Hot Pursuit and COD:BlackOps, MW3, UT3, Halo etc etc etc... I'd be on it in a heartbeat.

NVidia's move into ARM chips would mean Apple wouldn't have to even build the chips. But still, to get decent performance, they'd have to use a GPU that needs a massive PSU and I don't see them being able to break close to decade-old game company partnerships with Sony and Microsoft. The cross-platform titles are fine but people still go after the exclusives.

It would be expensive to make a profit, it would lack games, the input devices would likely not be intuitive to gamers and so many people would make it fail. If there's one crowd Apple is unlikely to woo it's hardcore gamers. The Wii gamers possibly and they could hit the space between the Wii and 360 but it would arrive too soon before those consoles jump to the next level around 2012-2013.

With the advent of streaming games, all Apple has to do is add an app to the ATV and add standard controller support like the 360 controller and they have a gaming platform for free, no losses, no upgrades, no falling behind the curve.
  • Reply 59 of 69
    Quote:

Well, the benchmarks are out at Anandtech (http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/t...i3-2100-tested)

As expected, Sandy Bridge has great CPU, but the GPU is still....

RUBBISH, PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

No way even the lowest end MacBook would have Sandy Bridge-only graphics. End of story.

(POST NO.003 and final cross-posting For Reference)

Why are you downgrading sandy bridge graphics??
  • Reply 60 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

Why are you downgrading sandy bridge graphics??

Read the Anandtech review. I think it is still a big scam by Intel to have shut out Nvidia of making IGP and chipsets for Intel CPUs, given how absolutely poor Intel graphics are compared to anything from Nvidia and AMD.

There was a lot of talk about graphics improvements in Sandy Bridge and some high-falutin' demos. But the proof is in the pudding. Intel integrated graphics are still crap and several times worse than the latest Nvidia and AMD IGPs. But Intel will get away it it.

Just that now Apple will have to bite the bullet and put in discrete GPUs in any Mac that uses Sandy Bridge.