Apple's Steve Jobs could appear onstage at Jan. 11 Verizon event

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

After years of praising the merits of AT&T's network, the FASTEST in the country, which allows simultaneous data and voice use, Apple fanboys everywhere will be confused. Do they still say that AT&T is better than Verizon or do they get sucked in by the RDF telling them that Verizon is better. Or was it RDF which sucked them into thinking AT&T was the best?

Whichever one it is, one thing will be sure: fanboys will be praising the move just like they did once Apple changed from RISC to CISC processors.

RDF is very strong. It'll be interesting to see how the fanboys here react to it.

The iPhone which runs on the Verizon network will support their LTE network.
  • Reply 42 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

You don't know that. You can't know that. It isn't the most likely thing, anyway.

Apple left 3G out of the original iPhone, and Steve Jobs himself made an unprecedented statement that not only acknowledged this, but explained bluntly that future models would be including it.

There's no guarantee that it'll have LTE, particularly since it'd be a hit on the battery and no LTE networks exist yet.
  • Reply 43 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

I don?t know of any LTE chip that would work in the iPhone. Nothing is remotely small enough to work right now. Maybe next year.

Note that the iPhone is the world?s thinnest smartphone on the market. At CES there were many LTE- capable phones being announced, and along with that announcement was the LG Optimus Black, the world?s thinnest smartphone come its release date. Note that it has a 4? display allow for more internal space (probably more than the iPhone 4 current has) but it?s not going to have LTE.

IOW, only really big smartphones have room for LTE and they will still suffer from poor battery life.
  • Reply 44 of 64
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don’t think that’s likely. I could see another member of Apple’s higher staff there, but not Jobs. Remember, Apple isn’t getting rid of AT&T and this isn’t some fancy new HW and OS/UI that needs to be demoed, it’s just the iPhone 4 for Verizon’s network according to most people.

PS: First Apple releases the Mac App Store on day 1 of CES and the Verizon drops the bomb on an event on day 2. Apple has stolen the focus of CES this year, which is ironic since most vendors were just playing copycat to Apple’s products.

I can't see SJ flying to NY for the launch either to be honest but we could be wrong. Just think of the potential sales in this. However, surely it has to be some kind of new hardware from Apple to work on Verizon's system. So that I'd expect to be launched by SJ somewhere.

I would like to move simply so I can have one provider as we have FiOS but ... then would I want to give up my grandfathered in unlimited data plan at AT & T or maybe Verizon will entice us over with such an offer ... still so many question for the next few days a least.

Totally agree on the CES's stolen thunder. Plus every reporter uses phrases like 'Everyone is trying to follow Apple .." Apple has had as much coverage as anyone if not more and they are not even there. Got to love it.
  • Reply 45 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I can't see SJ flying to NY for the launch either to be honest but we could be wrong. Just think of the potential sales in this. However, surely it has to be some kind of new hardware from Apple to work on Verizon's system. So that I'd expect to be launched by SJ somewhere.

Yeah, there is definitely new HW, but there is no new HW from the user?s PoV. There is no better camera. There is no faster processor. There is no nicer display. It?ll probably look exactly like the iPhone 4 except for some visual markers.

On top of that, there is no new iOS, even though there are SW changes to make it work with CDMA and on Verizon?s network. That?s also why this is fine for Verizon to announce it and why it?s not part of an Apple event. Outside or saying their name, price and release date there is nothing else to divulge.

There is nothing the average user knows nor cares about. To them it?s just an iPhone that works on Verizon.

Perhaps most telling, IMO, is that Apple isn?t dropping AT&T but adding Verizon. I think someone from Apple might present the Verizon iPhone, but I don?t think Jobs would do it.
  • Reply 46 of 64
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:

Perhaps most telling, IMO, is that Apple isn?t dropping AT&T but adding Verizon. I think someone from Apple might present the Verizon iPhone, but I don?t think Jobs would do it.

There are several things that Apple or its representatives cannot do:
    1) Suggest in any way that Verizon is now the preferred carrier;

2) Suggest that Verizon has a superior network;

3) Suggest that CDMA is better technology than GSM.

In the absence of any HW/SW changes beyond those needed to make a CDMA phone, what is there left to say? Something like the following:

Quote:

Apple is pleased that the millions of Verizon's customer can now use the best smartphone available.

This is typical fodder for a press release not an appearance at Verizon's event. I can see a pre-recorded message from Steve or, maybe, an outside chance of a live video link.

In a sense, this is like announcing that a product once available exclusively at Dillards is now also available at Macys.
  • Reply 47 of 64
    So will it have Verizon and Apple worked out a way to offer simultaneous voice and data over EV-DO Rev. A?
  • Reply 48 of 64
    Quote:

So will it have Verizon and Apple worked out a way to offer simultaneous voice and data over EV-DO Rev. A?

Good question?

I mentioned in another post that it will be interesting to see if the Verizon iPhone will be unadulterated. Are we going to see any Verizon branding on this phone?
  • Reply 49 of 64
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

After years of praising the merits of AT&T's network, the FASTEST in the country, which allows simultaneous data and voice use, Apple fanboys everywhere will be confused. Do they still say that AT&T is better than Verizon or do they get sucked in by the RDF telling them that Verizon is better. Or was it RDF which sucked them into thinking AT&T was the best?

Whichever one it is, one thing will be sure: fanboys will be praising the move just like they did once Apple changed from RISC to CISC processors.

RDF is very strong. It'll be interesting to see how the fanboys here react to it.

I would have thought network performance was entirely dependent on the quality of the signal each company was able to provide in a given area. In that sense the model that suits you most will depend entirely on where you are using it. Is that too fanboy?
  • Reply 50 of 64
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

I mentioned in another post that it will be interesting to see if the Verizon iPhone will be unadulterated. Are we going to see any Verizon branding on this phone?

Of course not. I've gotten off the kick of presenting educated supposition as fact, but there will be no Verizon branding on the physical device. If Jonathan Ive would let it, Steve Jobs would not. Period. It's nonsense.

And if the above statement turns out to be wrong, it shows how little anyone knows about the (by definition of this concession) "new" future of Apple.
  • Reply 51 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Of course not. I've gotten off the kick of presenting educated supposition as fact, but there will be no Verizon branding on the physical device. If Jonathan Ive would let it, Steve Jobs would not. Period. It's nonsense.

And if the above statement turns out to be wrong, it shows how little anyone knows about the (by definition of this concession) "new" future of Apple.

I agree - I don't expect Verizon to be allowed to muck things up. They might have some Verizon apps but that would not dilute the strong Apple branding and uniformity of features. What I think it shows is that, even in view of the good sales of Android handsets, Verizon feels it needs the iPhone.
  • Reply 52 of 64
    Quote:

How about a way to know it?s the Verizon iPhone without looking at display or reading any alphanumerics on the back. Something obvious, like say aesthetic and/or functional separations in the stainless steel band.
  • Reply 53 of 64
    Quote:

How about a way to know it?s the Verizon iPhone without looking at display or reading any alphanumerics on the back. Something obvious, like say aesthetic and/or functional separations in the stainless steel band.

Something like this is possible but I do not consider that as strong Verizon branding - most people would not even notice something like this unless there were bright colors at the gaps or something.
  • Reply 54 of 64
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

Apple's not that big on preventing eBay reselling scams.
  • Reply 55 of 64
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    I wonder if SJ mentions all the $50 iPhones as part of iOs activations.
  • Reply 56 of 64
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Maybe he will do it using FaceTime from Cupertino

J/K

I think this is actually more likely than a physical appearance. As I posted in the other thread:

Seidenberg says something along the lines of "the Verizon iPhone has all the features you know and love...like facetime. Here, let me show you..."

Big screen shows the face time UI with Steve Jobs as the contact. Boom. Crowd cheers.

Jobs makes an "appearance onstage". Says a few kind things about how great it is to have Verizon (finally) on board and they hang up...maybe with a quip from Steve to the crowd about "See everyone soon in person" at the end.

It's remote enough that it's not an Apple thing and HE didn't have to travel TO someone else's keynote and AT&T can't grouse all that much because there's no physical appearance. Just a little...face time...
  • Reply 57 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

I wonder if SJ mentions all the $50 iPhones as part of iOs activations.

I wonder if you'll ever stop embarrassing yourself. Apple would report all activations even if the iPhone cost $999.
  • Reply 58 of 64
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

I think this is actually more likely than a physical appearance. As I posted in the other thread:

Seidenberg says something along the lines of "the Verizon iPhone has all the features you know and love...like facetime. Here, let me show you..."

Big screen shows the face time UI with Steve Jobs as the contact. Boom. Crowd cheers.

Jobs makes an "appearance onstage". Says a few kind things about how great it is to have Verizon (finally) on board and they hang up...maybe with a quip from Steve to the crowd about "See everyone soon in person" at the end.

It's remote enough that it's not an Apple thing and HE didn't have to travel TO someone else's keynote and AT&T can't grouse all that much because there's no physical appearance. Just a little...face time...

Maybe Apple will announce FaceTime over 3G during the even with Steve Job on the other end. However, it may not be a good idea since many things could go wrong
  • Reply 59 of 64
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

I know solipsism is going to disagree on this.. but the white iPhone 4 could be exclusive to Verizon
  • Reply 60 of 64
    Quote:

Maybe Apple will announce FaceTime over 3G during the even with Steve Job on the other end. However, it may not be a good idea since many things could go wrong

FaceTime… now with FacePalm exclusively for erizon.

That would be one way to get simultaneous voice and data on Verizon.

Quote:

I know solipsism is going to disagree on this.. but the white iPhone 4 could be exclusive to Verizon

You know it.