Another annoying MacBook Pro thread

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 43
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

Wizard69,

A case redesign that gets rid of the on-baord disk drive would be a major update to me.

The problem is I see a case update as trivial. When it comes right down to it there isn't a lot of design latitude in a laptop. Your screen defines two dimensions and the filling the third. Since the optical is a big portion of that filling it can have a big impact on the housings over all look.

Quote:

Anything else is just a routine update, even if it comes with SSD and improved screen resolution. You can already get an SSD drive for your MBP if you want one. Blades simply reduce the price.

I don't actually think price was the first or even the second reason to go to the blade design. I believe the number one issue was space usage followed up by expandability. Cost is of course reduced by leaving legacy hardware behind.

I'm still expecting multiple blade slots in the MBPs. The physical characteristics of the blades are ideal for expansion slots.

Quote:

What i would dislike about blade SSDs in MBPs is if they prevented you from upgrading to a larger capacity drive later.

Don't dislike something based on an assumption. I'd feel a bit better about blade storage if the interface was made public myself.

Quote:

You comments about SB make sense. When is the die-shrink coming? maybe that will be a better time to upgrade?

The die shrink would come in 2012. Possibly late in 2012. That does not mean though that the current Sandy Bridge would be a bad investment. On the contrary I believe it is worth waiting a couple of months for.

The die shrink might be worth waiting for if you are in no hurry. But honestly Sandy Bridge can be leveraged very positively by some users. Like all upgrades it depends upon your software and usage when valuing a new processor.
  • Reply 42 of 43
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Don't dislike something based on an assumption. I'd feel a bit better about blade storage if the interface was made public myself.

The die shrink would come in 2012. Possibly late in 2012. That does not mean though that the current Sandy Bridge would be a bad investment. On the contrary I believe it is worth waiting a couple of months for.

The interface is pretty "public": electrically it's SATA II, physically it's Mini PCIe, many small solid state storage devices have been using this for a couple of years. OWC is already selling blades for the new MBAs.

If you're talking about Ivy Bridge (22nm shrink), the first batch should come early 2012. Yes, schedules slip, but Intel has been pretty good in that area for the past few years. It's not always exactly the same lines at the same time, or in the same order, but, again for IB it should be: Q1 mainstream desktop/mobile, Q3: high-end desktop/Xeons.
  • Reply 43 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

There is nothing worst than being forced to upgrade when you aren't ready.

Hey now, I'm not Asian yet I have rice in the house. It's been sitting there for ages but that is another matter.

By the way, run out and by a disk to back up the entire computer. That is if you don't have a complete backup yet.

i reformat my computer way too often, the only thing i actually do have backed up is my collection of music. everything else that IS important is in gmail and dropbox (or facebook for pictures). love this cloud technology.