News Corp's 'The Daily' to debut on Apple iPad Jan. 19 - report

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
The Daily, a newspaper from Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation, will launch exclusively on Apple's iPad this month on Jan. 19, according to a new report.

Citing anonymous sources, Forbes reported Monday that The Daily will be introduced in just over a week. Leading up to the rumored Wednesday, Jan. 19 launch, the publication's official website, thedaily.com, has been updated with an iPad-style icon and the words "Coming Soon."

"The debut can't come soon enough for The Daily's staffers, who for weeks have been engaged in full-scale dry runs, cranking out dummy issues for what I've been told is a distribution list of 1,000 privileged readers," Jeff Bercovici wrote.

Murdoch, the CEO of News Corp., reportedly showed off the daily iPad-only newspaper to reporters under embargo at the Consumer Electronics Show last week. Earlier reports have suggested the publication will sell for 99 cents per week.

The publication is also expected to require an update to Apple's iOS mobile operating system for the iPad, allowing for recurring application subscriptions through software sold on the App Store. Some rumors have suggested that such an update could allow applications to update and download new issues in the background, making them instantly available to read in the morning when a user loads up a newspaper or magazine on their iPad.

The newly rumored launch date is just a few days later than the Jan. 17 date first suggested in December. The Daily will be a tablet-only newspaper that will debut on the iPad, and will not have a print or Web-based counterpart.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    I would love it if this thread didn't turn into political trolling. Sadly, I know it's inevitable.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The publication is also expected to require an update to Apple's iOS mobile operating system for the iPad, allowing for recurring application subscriptions through software sold on the App Store.

Which theoretically should allow all Apps to offer paid for upgrades.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

I would love it if this thread didn't turn into political trolling. Sadly, I know it's inevitable.

Personally I wouldn't dream of making a derogative comment about anything related to Fox News. I am surprised the audience can read though.

Just kidding. I like a lot of Fox TV shows just not so much their so called news.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    Although I'm not looking forward to The Daily, I hope this is the start of the resolution of the mess that is iPad magazines and newspapers (no subscription, expensive per issue price, no dedicated newsstand, etc)
  • Reply 5 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Although I'm not looking forward to The Daily, I hope this is the start of the resolution of the mess that is iPad magazines and newspapers (no subscription, expensive per issue price, no dedicated newsstand, etc)

Agreed. It does seem to be a massive opportunity in limbo.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Personally I wouldn't dream of making a derogative comment about anything related to Fox News. I am surprised the audience can read though.

Just kidding. I like a lot of Fox TV shows just not so much their so called news.

I agree. And I am willing to give The Daily a fair reading despite my misgivings. Who knows, maybe Murdoch is going make a play for those of the blueish persuasion?
  • Reply 7 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I agree. And I am willing to give The Daily a fair reading despite my misgivings. Who knows, maybe Murdoch is going make a play for those of the blueish persuasion?

That would be nice if he did plus pretty smart since a very large percentage of Mac / Apple folk are centrist at least. (I base that conclusion only on 30 years personal experience, I could be wrong).
  • Reply 8 of 38
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Murdoch's never been averse to making a profit catering to those beyond FNC's core base.

His movie studio properties and networks, among other holdings, have never eschewed content from the spectrum of Hollywood talent. Matt Groening's pre-Simpson's grounding was in an alt-newspaper comic (Life in Hell), and that show has been skewering Fox by name ON Fox for decades. In today's even coarser (Family Guy, Adult Swim) age, where Homer's antics are still deft and well-written, but hardly cutting edge, people have forgotten how controversial the show was when it came out, with many protests from from the right.

And in fact, as many concluded it was impossible for Fox to challenge the "Big Three" (NBC, CBS, ABC), it turned out that Fox to a large extent was the "network that Bart built."

Also, when acquiring properties like the Times of London, some care has generally been taken not to alienate the existing readership by a swift, hard turn in voice.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Murdoch's never been averse to making a profit catering to those beyond FNC's core base.

His movie studio properties and networks, among other holdings, have never eschewed content from the spectrum of Hollywood talent. Matt Groening's pre-Simpson's grounding was in an alt-newspaper comic (Life in Hell), and that show has been skewering Fox by name ON Fox for decades. In today's even coarser (Family Guy, Adult Swim) age, where Homer's antics are still deft and well-written, but hardly cutting edge, people have forgotten how controversial the show was when it came out, with many protests from from the right.

And in fact, as many concluded it was impossible for Fox to challenge the "Big Three" (NBC, CBS, ABC), it turned out that Fox to a large extent was the "network that Bart built."

Also, when acquiring properties like the Times of London, some care has generally been taken not to alienate the existing readership by a swift, hard turn in voice.

While agreeing in part, I was not too impressed with what he did to the once great Times in the UK.

Yes, bring back the edgy Bart
  • Reply 10 of 38
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

I like a lot of Fox TV shows just not so much their so called news.

Why do you not like their news? Is it because they don't "Lean Forward" in the direction of the Leftist at MSNBC?

Or their reporters don't debate on behalf of a democratic president or buy their way into stories like CNN?

You're not a deputy to that idiot Democratic Sherif in AZ, who says he can't remember in his 75 years the vitriol of today's debate?! Uh, Vietnam War Protests, riots outside the Democratic National Convention in IL in the 60's, Senator Paul Wellstone "Memorial" service, protestors outside of President Bush home in TX with signs like Hitler and assassinate Bush, to today's politicians that call Americans "un-American" because they choose to exercise their Constitutional Rights...

With that idiot as Sherif, I'm not surprised more elected officials have not been shot. He is the Barney Fife of Sherifs! You're not his deputy?, again I ask!
  • Reply 11 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Why do you not like their news? Is it because they don't "Lean Forward" in the direction of the Leftist at MSNBC?

Or their reporters don't debate on behalf of a democratic president or buy their way into stories like CNN?

You're not a deputy to that idiot Democratic Sherif in AZ, who says he can't remember in his 75 years the vitriol of today's debate?! Uh, Vietnam War Protests, riots outside the Democratic National Convention in IL in the 60's, Senator Paul Wellstone "Memorial" service, protestors outside of President Bush home in TX with signs like Hitler and assassinate Bush, to today's politicians that call Americans "un-American" because they choose to exercise their Constitutional Rights...

With that idiot as Sherif, I'm not surprised more elected officials have not been shot. He is the Barney Fife of Sherifs! You're not his deputy?, again I ask!

Have you finished? I prefer not to listen to any news that is colored by a pre existing bias (either way). I prefer facts. Is that ok with you?

You are now on my troll list.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    Quote:

I prefer not to listen to any news that is colored by a pre existing bias (either way). I prefer facts.

Well good luck finding a news source that does that!
  • Reply 13 of 38
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

That would be nice if he did plus pretty smart since a very large percentage of Mac / Apple folk are centrist at least. (I base that conclusion only on 30 years personal experience, I could be wrong).

Apparently it only takes one loud mouth to fly off the handle to ruin that experience.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HahaHaha321 View Post

Well good luck finding a news source that does that!

I does requires a lot of looking
  • Reply 15 of 38
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

Have you finished? I prefer not to listen to any news that is colored by a pre existing bias (either way). I prefer facts. Is that ok with you?

Where do you find this news source of just "the facts"?

You are on my Vitri"TROLL" list! Notice folks who was first to comment using Fox News over an iPad app that no one has seen and yet certainly seem to have authoritative knowledge about! Typical ignorance coming from one that"prefers facts"! Very Typical! Troll, troll, troll!... That's me trying to troll for the facts in you BS posts!

Edit: DC's sig... "Long on AAPL, so biased"... I'll finish that sig... 'Short on facts and narrowness of mind, still biased!'
  • Reply 16 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Apparently it only takes one loud mouth to fly off the handle to ruin that experience.

That was pretty deranged wasn't it?
  • Reply 17 of 38
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Can you please confine your politics to the Political Outsider forum - that's what it's for. I don't think most people want political commentary in the tech-based forums regardless of political persuasion.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    The Daily could be very interesting. Murdoch is going to do what makes money. If cloning Fox News into the iPad makes money that's what he will do. If creating an electronic newspaper that takes a more left or centrist direction makes money, that is what he will do. He is all about the money. Nothing else really matters in his world.

The important part, as others have mentioned, is that he might pave the way for a business model that actually works on iPad for news and magazines. That would be a good thing.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

I prefer not to listen to any news that is colored by a pre-existing bias (either way). I prefer facts. Is that ok with you?

"We have no choice but to get our information from interested, and thus biased, sources."

--Michael S. Kochin*

You are now on my "naive list." But that's OK. Some days I'm on it too.

* MSK is a Senior Lecturer in Political Science at Tel Aviv University and has held visiting appointments at Toronto, Princeton, and Yale
  • Reply 20 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

"We have no choice but to get our information from interested, and thus biased, sources."

--Michael S. Kochin*

You are now on my "naive list." But that's OK. Some days I'm on it too.

* MSK is a Senior Lecturer in Political Science at Tel Aviv University and has held visiting appointments at Toronto, Princeton, and Yale

Being aware of those biases helps do a little filtering. As does having lived in quite a few countries and traveling a lot. I try to keep an open mind and I do my best, there is nothing more I can do

BTW quotes can be misleading as your of mine is. I was adding him to my ban list for a tirade of extraordinary lengths made at me personally.