Best Buy rumored to add Apple Genius Bars, display more Macs in stores

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,731member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

I think they are Apple staffed employees. Apple is essentially just renting space inside the store. Best Buy is basically Apple's rural solution. They want to expand their presence outside of big cities. The Apple Store is focused on areas with large populations. It is probably difficult for them to hire in some of these areas that don't have an existing mac presence. When it comes to Apple, visit a smaller town and you feel like you were just transported 5 years in to the past.

You maybe correct, I don't know for sure but it is hard to believe our local Best Buy uses real Apple staff!
  • Reply 22 of 37
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    I can't fathom how bad this is going to be....
  • Reply 23 of 37
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tzb View Post

What are these "mini Apple stores" that the Best Buy Apple boutiques are designed to rival?

In the original article here -> Best Buy rumored to add Apple Genius Bars, display more Macs in stores

"has seen the placement of distinct Apple boutiques -- designed to resemble mini Apple stores", meaning they look like Apple stores, only smaller.

I don't understand how one dirty table resembles a store...
  • Reply 24 of 37
    elmsleyelmsley Posts: 120member
    I went to get an iMac from the Apple store a couple months ago, and was shocked by the range of knowledge of the staff. Any of the first-line people didn't really have a clue about features available in the product and they had to grab someone from the back to get some real answers. I'm not sure of the role of the first-line people other than to be a warm body to "simulate" the notion you were being served. I wasn't even asking for very high-tech type of things, just things like "does the iPod Touch have FaceTime?" etc, and started moving to easier questions to gauge what kind of knowledge they had.

Of course Best Buy employees never seem to hover around the Apple aisle, and for some reason seem to not want to touch it with a 10 foot pole. I'm guessing "no commissions" is the answer, but

if you didn't know about Apple products and somehow got served by a Best Buy employee it would actually do a disservice to Jobs' vision to propagate all things mac.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    The Apple Store in Best Buy near me also is "manned" by somebody who knows Macs. I do not know how it is now, but when the concept first came out Apple did indeed trained and pay the people in its Best Buy Store. When the full-time person left, the regular Best Buy people would step in.

Unfortunately, Apple needs Best Buy. Best Buy is in far more areas then Apple stores are located. I always see people at Best Buy playing with the Macs. Further, some Best Buys have in store musical instrument stores, which integrate Macs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

My local Best Buy (in the midwest) has one of these mini stores. It does seem to be manned by someone who actually knows Macs instead of the usual 20 something PC geek squad reject who half-heartedly attempts to answer customer questions while barely suppressing the PC sneer on their faces. I still think Apple should pull out of Best Buy altogether. This joint is beneath them and their customers.

• Reply 26 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I agree. Plus the service is appalling. I waited for fifteen minutes while Best Buy staff talked amongst themselves then walked away. I eventually made the purchase I wished to make at a real Apple store a few weeks later (in seconds even on a very busy day). My post above says my feelings, Apple need to staff these places then they will be worth visiting.

I wanted to buy a Magic Mouse for my Mac Mini so I went to closest Best Buy - they had no Magic mouse on display. Luckily I asked a Best Buy guy who passed me if they have any on stock in the back room. He called the manager, who opened a box underneath the display where all the mouses were locked in, picked up one mouse and told me I have to pay it first and then come to get the mouse from him. He did not put any other Magic Mouse on display so it seemed like they are sold out.

The other employee came to me and told me: "We keep them locked in so people won't steal them".

I asked him why they don't keep at least one locked but visible for customers to see they are in stock. He said: "Why bother? If somebody wants the mouse he'll ask like you did."
  • Reply 27 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple is already in charge of hiring at Best Buy stores. Most have an Apple-paid person on staff for the Mac section.

Really? I was in Best Buy purchasing some stuff and I stopped at Apple section where family was in search for the best Mac. The "expert" was not able to tell them the difference between Macbook Air 13' and Macbook Pro 13' besides "that thicker one has a DVD drive for the movies". And his best comment why they should buy the Mac is "because you can get Microsoft Office for Mac that is a way better than Mirosoft Office for Windows". Buehehe, Apple expert.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,731member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

On Apple's payroll, hired by Apple.

That was what I was asking, are you sure they are on Apple's payroll when they work at Best Buy? I don't know but I am dubious. If so why are they so apparently not of the same caliber as Apple Store staff?
  • Reply 29 of 37
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Two companies I am surprised are still around - radioshack and best buy. I welcome this as a way to bring the genius bar to more people, though how genious the geniuses at best buy will be are anyone's guess.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

That was what I was asking, are you sure they are on Apple's payroll when they work at Best Buy? I don't know but I am dubious. If so why are they so apparently not of the same caliber as Apple Store staff?

If they are on Apple payroll, they should be in Apple Store attire. Or at least have some visible connection to Apple.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    The Geeks Squad vs the Geniuses?
  • Reply 32 of 37
    An interesting question.

Say you are Apple, and want to expand your retail presence significantly (exponentially?) beyond the small number of Apple Retail stores that you can open each year.

The store-within-a-store is, likely, the least expensive, fastest rollout, highest quality solution.

It takes a strong relationship between Apple and the targeted reseller (Best Buy, Radio Shack, Wal-Mart, Target, etc.).

It takes teams of Apple employees to travel around to:

-- set up the store initially

-- arrange for special physical plant: security, cleaning, inventory, etc. consistent with Apple standards

-- hire and train employees

-- incent the employees

-- monitor, measure, review and reward performance

I think there ways that this could be done, to the benefit of all.

I think that this could be done in such a way that the Apple Store-Within-A-Store would be the "showcase" of the targeted stores -- so much so that the targeted stores could use the same approach to raise the quality, moral and performance level of other departments to approach the Apple SWAS.

I believe that is a service that the targeted stores would gladly pay to have done!

• Reply 33 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

An interesting question.

Say you are Apple, and want to expand your retail presence significantly (exponentially?) beyond the small number of Apple Retail stores that you can open each year.

The store-within-a-store is, likely, the least expensive, fastest rollout, highest quality solution.

It takes a strong relationship between Apple and the targeted reseller (Best Buy, Radio Shack, Wal-Mart, Target, etc.).

It takes teams of Apple employees to travel around to:

-- set up the store initially

-- arrange for special physical plant: security, cleaning, inventory, etc. consistent with Apple standards

-- hire and train employees

-- incent the employees

-- monitor, measure, review and reward performance

I think there ways that this could be done, to the benefit of all.

I think that this could be done in such a way that the Apple Store-Within-A-Store would be the "showcase" of the targeted stores -- so much so that the targeted stores could raise the quality, moral and performance level of other departments to approach the Apple SWAS.

I believe that is a service that the targeted stores would gladly pay to have done!

I agree with all you said but the one problem I see recurring in this arrangement is the autonomy of the store and its employees.

I don't know too much about retail. I wonder how premium cosmetics sold in department stores are handled. I am assuming that the people are store employees accountable only to the store. Their sales areas are most likely maintained by the same custodial crew. This is the same problem I see with any store-within-a-store arrangement.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

I agree with all you said but the one problem I see recurring in this arrangement is the autonomy of the store and its employees.

I don't know too much about retail. I wonder how premium cosmetics sold in department stores are handled. I am assuming that the people are store employees accountable only to the store. Their sales areas are most likely maintained by the same custodial crew. This is the same problem I see with any store-within-a-store arrangement.

This is why I started with:

Quote:

Apple needs to get the targeted top-level mgmt on board -- They, Apple, are going to build an autonomous SWAS. You start with a few stores.

You tell the targeted store's employees what you are doing, how, and why.

You tell and show the targeted store employees there are new career opportunities open to them at all levels.

Apple will hire new staff & promote existing staff... and all that follows

The career path incentive can be with Apple or the targeted company.

As the SWAS matures and becomes successful the SWAS staffing evolves from mostly Apple-hired to home grown.

However, since they are showcasing Apple products -- Apple has the contractual provisions to assure that they continue doing so to Apple standards.

You measure succes lots of ways -- but it comes down to $ per Sq ft.

Once you prove the concept, you form additional teams and fan-out to the entire chain.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    I understand the thinking, I am just not sure of how this would work in the real world.

As a simple example, let's say a customer complains to the store manager that the Apple rep was rude. Can the sore manager reprimand or otherwise respond to this? Or do they have to run it up the Apple chain of command?

I know you have a lot of experience in retail, so you probably have much better insights into how this could all work. You are most definitely correct that it would take aligned interests and a great deal of trust between the two companies.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

I understand the thinking, I am just not sure of how this would work in the real world.

As a simple example, let's say a customer complains to the store manager that the Apple rep was rude. Can the sore manager reprimand or otherwise respond to this? Or do they have to run it up the Apple chain of command?

I know you have a lot of experience in retail, so you probably have much better insights into how this could all work. You are most definitely correct that it would take aligned interests and a great deal of trust between the two companies.

Simple answer -- the Store Manager (the complainee) takes care of it to the customer's satisfaction -- offering to get he SWAS manager involved if available.

Later, the Store Manager and SWAS manager work this out between them or both escalate.

The Store manager has greater responsibility and higher rank.

The reverse situation is handled the same, except the SWAS manager resolves it.

Believe me, these situations (and many others) are anticipated and procedures are provided to resolve them.

A good organization will give employees (including management) the capability to make decisions, when necessary, escalate, when necessary -- and to know when to do which -- and to take the appropriate action after the fact (notify the other manager, follow-up. discipline where necessary).

These expected behaviors, problems and organizational procedures to resolve them -- are communicated on a regular basis to all employees.

The last thing these managers want is their inability to resolve a situation to be unnecessarily escalated to their management -- rather, if necessary, they inform their managers of the situation and how they resolved it.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    This brings back a lot of memories of the CompUSA Apple store within a store program and the couple times that Apple dropped Best Buy as a retailer entirely. How things have changed. The newer Apple fans that have swelled the ranks after the iPod and iPhone might not remember those interesting days.