UBS: iPhone to be dominant device on Verizon at launch

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Why "set the record straight"? - giving your phones away is going to increase market share. But not profit.

Motorola isn't giving away phones. HTC isn't giving away phones. LG isn't giving away phones. Verizon is giving away phones. AT&T is giving away phones. To Motorola, HTC and LG, a phone that Verizon or AT&T "gives away" amounts to the same profit as the phone being sold.

Quote:

Apple is not, and never has been, about market share. Greater market share does not equal more 'popular' or a 'better' product.

Yet there are a lot of people here squabbling about Android sales numbers. "It's on multiple carriers." "The carriers are giving them away." And on and on.

Quote:

Id rather Apple remain an exclusive product, one that people aspire to, rather than an economy/free option that people end up with by default because it's cheap/freely provided by the cell phone operators.

Yippy! The Apple elitist attitude. Got to love that. I guess you must be pissed with the recent price drop of the iPhone 3GS to $49. That squarely puts it into the economy phone price point. Most Android phones on Verizon will cost you more than that.
  • Reply 62 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Except that they haven't been saying that. I know as I subscribe to it.

Yes, sorry, that was an exaggeration. Not every month, but they've said it enough times in the past to have zero credibility.
  • Reply 63 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Did you ever have one of those Swiss Army Knives:

They are great conversation pieces -- and fine to show off all the things they can do in a marginally acceptable way...

But, did you ever use one for even a tenth of the things it could do?

'Scuze me... I'm off to cut some firewood... then do my nails... then open that bottle of Pernod..

I personally would consider it more like one of these:

Thing is, there will always be a time where you'll be in need of one of the items it carries and if you happen to have it on you...well...

Plenty of times my multi-tool has helped me out of a situation.
  • Reply 64 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I watched the video of the Atrix!

What's the fascination?

What I saw was a decent, fairly expensive, smart phone plus a few expensive dock-like things with big brainless/gutless devices attached to the front or the rear *. I guess the idea is one brain/lower alimentary canal to serve them all.

What happens when you are out and about with your brain in your pocket -- do all these expensive devices sit, waiting, vacuously for a brain -- like the Scarecrow in the Wizard of OZ?

* Let's see if I have this right, you are telling me: You have your phone and you want to make it easier to use... So you have this special place where you can stick it... in the rear? Is this a Joke? ...and then you can move it around? ...and it won't fall out? ...are you one of the guys from the office?

Maybe it should be called the Motorola Suppository!

And leave Atrix to mean what it always has:

http://www.atrix.com/

Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

It's a fascinating example of how out of touch the tech blogosphere is. The comments on Engadget were hilarious. They were claiming Apple doesn't innovate and that the Atrix shows true innovation! These people truly live in a world of their own.

It's a lame gimmick with absolutely no mainstream appeal.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

The Atrix comes off as gimmicky to me, also. It kinda reminds me of that Dell portable with the flip-screen - something "cool" with just another potential physical point-of-failure.

Here we go again...let me ask you this, whats SOOOO fascinating about the iphone? I'll answer that for you, "Nothing, Absolutely Nothing!" Other than the camera in the iphone 4, ALL iphones look alike and do the same old thing. Nothing is different whatsoever. Oh they released the iphone 3gs with what, a 3MP camera when other phones was being released with 5MP cameras. A lot of Apple customers were disappointed. Go back and watch the crowds reaction when Jobs introduced the iPhone 3Gs. if you ask me, the iphone has Nothing to offer. That is unless, you jailbreak it. All they do is release phones with limited features. And then to keep their customers interested, they SLOWLY release these updates to add a features that customers want or expected at the time the phone was released.

And I'm pretty sure if the iPhone can do what the Motorola Atrix could do, all you Apple Loyalists would love it. So don't site there and say its nothing too fascinating about the Atrix because if you do, then you know nothing about technology. Unlike some people, I've OWNED, NOT PLAYED WITH, BUT OWNED both phones that being All model iphones and several Android phones with the current being the Evo 4G and the new Evo Shift 4G. And they're great phones. But like I said when i called into one of the Apple podcast, (I think it was called "Todays in iphone" or something like that) I stated that both Android and Apple iPhones are great phones. They BOTH have their issues and they both have their distinctive great features. However, in the long run it comes down to what that customer is looking for in the end. Me personally, I went to Android because I like the many features, the ability to change the entire phone to different every day if I so choose to oh...and FLASH.

And you all just wait, I give it about a year maybe a year and a half. It'll be complaints starting about how slow Verizon data speeds, ATT service is better than Verizon etc. Sometimes the grass isn't always greener on the other side.
  • Reply 65 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

But the fandroids have been claiming that Android has completely defeated iOS and the iPhone is now a distant second. Just go to Cnet and you will see that this is an accepted fact that is mentioned in almost every thread by the techno-dorks. Strangely we haven't seen any counter arguments by the AppleInsider fandroid regulars. I'm sure they're working feverishly to set the record straight.

Their moms are making them clean their room, or she'll kick them out of the house and burn their comic books.
  • Reply 66 of 68
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pirarre View Post

Here we go again...let me ask you this, whats SOOOO fascinating about the iphone? I'll answer that for you, "Nothing, Absolutely Nothing!" Other than the camera in the iphone 4, ALL iphones look alike and do the same old thing. Nothing is different whatsoever. Oh they released the iphone 3gs with what, a 3MP camera when other phones was being released with 5MP cameras. A lot of Apple customers were disappointed. Go back and watch the crowds reaction when Jobs introduced the iPhone 3Gs.

Here we go again with megapixel counts - perfect for people who value a checklist without really understanding what the specs mean. Answer this - which is the better camera: the 16.2MP Nikon D7000 or the 12.1MP Nikon D3S? Megapixels don't tell the whole story. Besides, why bring up ancient history when the current version of the iPhone is 5MP and rumors suggest the next version will be 8MP?

Quote:

if you ask me, the iphone has Nothing to offer. That is unless, you jailbreak it. All they do is release phones with limited features. And then to keep their customers interested, they SLOWLY release these updates to add a features that customers want or expected at the time the phone was released.

Note that Apple has at least provided a steady stream of improvements with their SW updates. And, by your own account. Apple does address their customers' call for improvements.

Quote:

And I'm pretty sure if the iPhone can do what the Motorola Atrix could do, all you Apple Loyalists would love it. So don't site there and say its nothing too fascinating about the Atrix because if you do, then you know nothing about technology. Unlike some people, I've OWNED, NOT PLAYED WITH, BUT OWNED both phones that being All model iphones and several Android phones with the current being the Evo 4G and the new Evo Shift 4G. And they're great phones. But like I said when i called into one of the Apple podcast, (I think it was called "Todays in iphone" or something like that) I stated that both Android and Apple iPhones are great phones. They BOTH have their issues and they both have their distinctive great features. However, in the long run it comes down to what that customer is looking for in the end. Me personally, I went to Android because I like the many features, the ability to change the entire phone to different every day if I so choose to oh...and FLASH.

That may be true for others, but from what I have seen, I am not impressed and would hope that Apple would not create something like the Atrix. Sure, my opinion could change once I lay my hands on one but, at this point, it seems gimmicky to me. That;s not to say there are no good ideas there, just that I don't care for the implementation.

By the way, why do you assume that others who don't share your opinions know nothing of technology. Based on that, many people at Apple are clueless because they did not share the common view of a PMP, phone or tablet (but they sure as hell sold a lot of iPods, iPhones and iPads).
  • Reply 67 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Wow, DED actually corrected his analysis of the previous article this is quoted from, correctly wording it as it should.

I'm sure it had nothing to do with me pointing that out to him in a tirade yesterday on his blog.

You are a wanker.

Google Australian slang, and you will understand.

Me thinks you are bettieblue in drag
  • Reply 68 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pirarre View Post

Here we go again...let me ask you this, whats SOOOO fascinating about the iphone? I'll answer that for you, "Nothing, Absolutely Nothing!" Other than the camera in the iphone 4, ALL iphones look alike and do the same old thing. Nothing is different whatsoever. Oh they released the iphone 3gs with what, a 3MP camera when other phones was being released with 5MP cameras. A lot of Apple customers were disappointed. Go back and watch the crowds reaction when Jobs introduced the iPhone 3Gs. if you ask me, the iphone has Nothing to offer. That is unless, you jailbreak it. All they do is release phones with limited features. And then to keep their customers interested, they SLOWLY release these updates to add a features that customers want or expected at the time the phone was released.

And you all just wait, I give it about a year maybe a year and a half. It'll be complaints starting about how slow Verizon data speeds, ATT service is better than Verizon etc. Sometimes the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

At least Apple releases these features, getting android phone, is basically playing Russian roulette, which one should I pick so that I have a break even chance of getting an OS update.

You write about your experiences, obviously you are the type that does not appreciate Apple's brilliant design in all areas, well hey, we all cannot appreciate art.