Apple's Steve Jobs to appear onstage with Rupert Murdoch Jan. 19 - report

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs will appear onstage alongside media mogul and News Corp. CEO Rupert Murdoch in San Francisco on Jan. 19 to unveil the new tablet-only newspaper The Daily for iPad.

First reported by Yahoo's The Cutline, Jobs and Murdoch will share the stage at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. While it is currently expected to take place on Jan. 19, the report cautioned that the date is subject to change.

"Known as The Daily, Murdoch's iPad publication has been the talk of the media world over the past couple months, and the News Corp. chief has even dubbed it is 'No. 1 most exciting project,'" the report said. "The hush-hush project has been taking shape at the company's Manhattan headquarters, but it will also have staffers in Los Angeles."

Murdoch has reportedly spent $30 million the project, hiring a team of respected journalists from a variety of publications including The New Yorker, the Daily Beast, Forbes and Politico.

The news that Jobs and Murdoch will share the stage in San Francisco was also independently confirmed by Reuters. Prior to that, Forbes revealed the supposedly planned Jan. 19 launch date.

Staffers at The Daily have allegedly been doing full-scale dry runs for the publication for weeks, producing "dummy issues" for an exclusive test readership of about 1,000. It is believed that the publication could debut alongside a new version of Apple's iOS mobile operating system, which would allow recurring application subscriptions through software sold on the App Store.

The Daily is rumored to have a cost of 99 cents per week, and will allegedly use a new application programming interface in an updated version of iOS that will allow publications to be automatically updated on an iPad. That way a user could open the application and see up-to-date news and articles without a need to download the latest content.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    And now we wait for the Emperor Palpatine and Darth Vader images to arrive.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    That kinda taints Steve imho to appear on stage with Murdoch. But so be it, if this inspires other smaller publishers to use the ipad as a viable business option...
  • Reply 3 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

That kinda taints Steve imho to appear on stage with Murdoch.

Birds of a feather, dude. All they want is cash. As much and as quick as possible.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CEOstevie View Post

Birds of a feather, dude. All they want is cash. As much and as quick as possible.

Maybe they should go into business or something.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    It would also be cool if the vast majority of the production of The Daily was done on iPads.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I'd certainly be interested to read it. It sounds as if they have some quality writers. Now if only I had an iPad! I passed mine on and am waiting for version2.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    Quote:

Yep, that $1 a year salary SJ demands is pure greed.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

That kinda taints Steve imho to appear on stage with Murdoch. But so be it, if this inspires other smaller publishers to use the ipad as a viable business option...

What taints Jobs about this is it's going to be a colossal and embarrassing failure. Nobody wants periodicals. We have the web now. It's better. There is literally no argument that periodicals are superior to the Web.

It's over, the Web won. Murdoch is a fool if he can't see it.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

It would also be cool if the vast majority of the production of The Daily was done on iPads.

I just can't see iPads hooked up to digital print systems somehow but you never know.

The journalists on the other hand I can see using them a lot.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

What taints Jobs about this is it's going to be a colossal and embarrassing failure. Nobody wants periodicals. We have the web now. It's better. There is literally no argument that periodicals are superior to the Web.

That is why I am fascinated to see this. SJ doesn't make too many mistakes.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    Ick. Murdoch only became American so that he could get around our laws to apply his sleaze to our media. 'Mission Accomplished.'

Ick, Steve. Ick.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post

Maybe they should go into business or something.

They are in business together.

Steve makes the razors.

Rupert makes the blades.

Make no mistake Apple is the new middleman.

As the world goes digital, Apple is the WALMART for digital content.

Digital pimp, b!tchesi
  • Reply 13 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

They are in business together.

Steve makes the razors.

Rupert makes the blades.

Make no mistake Apple is the new middleman.

As the world goes digital, Apple is the WALMART for digital content.

Digital pimp, b!tchesi

Apple ... a middle man? You jest I assume!
  • Reply 14 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Yep, that $1 a year salary SJ demands is pure greed.

He's got you fooled, eh? You think that's his total compensation? Or do you think maybe his accountants have figured out how to defer income, and thereby defer taxes? Could it be?

JOBS, STEVEN P'S COMPENSATION

SALARY\t$0.00 * mil \t \t\t

BONUS N/A

OTHER\t$646.60 mil

STOCK GAINS\tNA \t

TOTAL COMPENSATION\t$646.60 mil \t

Additionally, he owns over a half a billion dollars worth of Apple stock.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2007/12/...Jobs_HEDB.html
  • Reply 15 of 40
    Wow! Rumored to be on stage with Verizon tomorrow and News Corp next week? Steve's getting out a lot now!
  • Reply 16 of 40
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Ick. Murdoch only became American so that he could get around our laws to apply his sleaze to our media. 'Mission Accomplished.'

Ick, Steve. Ick.

I couldn't agree more. WTH was Steve thinking.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:

He's got you fooled, eh? You think that's his total compensation? Or do you think maybe his accountants have figured out how to defer income, and thereby defer taxes? Could it be?

BONUS N/A

OTHER\t$646.60 mil

STOCK GAINS\tNA \t

Not sure why I am even bothering since you are obviously one of the people who comes here routinely using different accounts for no purpose other than to pick fights.

I doubt anyone is fooled by the $1 pay - certainly not the people on this forum. Quite frankly, I wish more executives' compensation was stock-related so their fortunes were aligned with the company's performance.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:

BONUS N/A

OTHER\t$646.60 mil

STOCK GAINS\tNA \t

Hate to break it to you, but you pay taxes on stock dividends, bonuses, and other forms of compensation. I have to pay them every year.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    Quote:

BONUS N/A

OTHER\t$646.60 mil

STOCK GAINS\tNA \t

Man he can get paid a billion a year as far as I'm concerned and be worth every penny. I was only being light hearted with the $1 comment.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

I wouldn't be so quick to write him off. Like him or hate him, News Corp's WSJ is the only newspaper to have increased its circulation while others have seen double-digit drops.