As iPhone debut looms, Verizon says AT&T not known for reliable network

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What the hell is with these silly comments about only getting fast speeds on AT&T when directly under or over a tower? Who the frak do they think they are fooling?

Vast majority of AT&T customers only get EDGE? That?s not even close to being true.

A plastic bag, eh? That?s so silly I don?t even know where to begin.

That?s not true nor does it make sense considering the technologies involves and AT&T?s move to lower frequencies.

Slightly faster? How many magnitudes faster. The fact is Verizon was advertising ?3G? coverage for years when it was only EV-DO 1x which is at slower speeds than EDGE. Now that?s resolved, but so is AT&T?s ?3G? coverage over most of the US population.

What kind of piddly town has only one tower in the in the middle and nothing else hat you can drive 10 minutes in any direction to get out of AT&T?s range. Which town is this? I?ll bring up the tower maps for each company.

Don't stress. These Verizon guys are all Fandroids.
  • Reply 22 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CEOstevie View Post

Verizon is second rate. If I cannot access data while talking on my iPhone, then the Verizon iPhone is fatally crippled. IMHO.

I realize you just joined, but you're not dense enough to have ignored the rest of all of these conversations over the past week.

This isn't happening. It is inconceivable that Apple would release a device with fewer features than a three year old device. Verizon can "talk while surfing" with VoRA. They've been testing it since March.

Quote:

Don't stress. These Verizon guys are all Fandroids.

Nope, I have an LG VX5300.
  • Reply 23 of 72
    Personally I've had good experiences with both companies, after three blackberry's a palm and four iPhones I feel qualified to give my input.

Verizon is a good company, I've always experienced good customer service and a strong signal. However I do think they charge a little more than the other carriers.

At&T is also a good company, personally I think their customer service is top notch. The cost is reasonable however the signal service is not great and is frustrating at times. I would however like to point out that through two and a half iPhones I had great service, no dropped calls etc.

Now let's reverse the rolls, say Verizon had an exclusive contract with Apple. Fast forward to say um now, guess what I'd be willing to bet they couldn?t handle the numbers of users either.

In summary AT&T has always take care of me and I'm hoping enough people jump ship that my service improves, remember it's because of bandwidth and a sudden rush of new customers at Verizon could cause the same problems.
  • Reply 24 of 72
    All this commotion is over nothing. I don't think Verizon is going to get the iPhone. Todays event is just to announce that the Beatles are coming to V-Cast.
  • Reply 25 of 72
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

I hate to invoke WorksForMe (TM) but I get better download and upload speeds at home and work over AT&T 3G than I do with my Clear 4G iSpot hotspot. There's a tower near work but not home. At night I can get insanely high 3G speeds.

Probably because the '4G' isn't. There is so much crap being claimed about having 4G. I am not aware of a single carrier in the US with it. The definition of 4G is easily looked up too! There should be some kind of watchdog that can fine and have removed such blatantly inaccurate advertising. Advertising is not covered by Free Speech surely?
  • Reply 26 of 72
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I realize you just joined, but you're not dense enough to have ignored the rest of all of these conversations over the past week.

This isn't happening. It is inconceivable that Apple would release a device with fewer features than a three year old device. Verizon can "talk while surfing" with VoRA. They've been testing it since March.

They?ve been conversations on tech forums questioning the validity of the service, not saying it?s a go.
    1. Where is your proof that Verizon has set it up?Which method of VoRA which simply means VoIP on EV-DO Rev. A is being used?

2. How does this affect ?3G? talk time compared to the previous method?

3. How much does this cost to implement?

4. Could it possibly have been too costly to be viable, and therefore ditched? What is the call quality compared to the CDMA voice algorithm and QoS?

You can?t answer any of those questions because there is no information at this point. It?s all just speculation, so suggesting CEOstevie is dense because he hasn?t spun a potential option into a hard fact isn?t wise.
  • Reply 27 of 72
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skeptic4 View Post

Personally I've had good experiences with both companies, after three blackberry's a palm and four iPhones I feel qualified to give my input.

Verizon is a good company, I've always experienced good customer service and a strong signal. However I do think they charge a little more than the other carriers.

At&T is also a good company, personally I think their customer service is top notch. The cost is reasonable however the signal service is not great and is frustrating at times. I would however like to point out that through two and a half iPhones I had great service, no dropped calls etc.

Now let's reverse the rolls, say Verizon had an exclusive contract with Apple. Fast forward to say um now, guess what I'd be willing to bet they couldn’t handle the numbers of users either.

In summary AT&T has always take care of me and I'm hoping enough people jump ship that my service improves, remember it's because of bandwidth and a sudden rush of new customers at Verizon could cause the same problems.

I am pretty much in the same boat and agree. I am now thinking I'll take a wait and see position, staying with AT&T till the dust settles. The only reason for me to move our phones would be to wrap them in to our FiOS contract at a hopefully special bundle deal.
  • Reply 28 of 72
    Quote:

What the hell is with these silly comments about only getting fast speeds on AT&T when directly under or over a tower? Who the frak do they think they are fooling?

Vast majority of AT&T customers only get EDGE? That?s not even close to being true.

A plastic bag, eh? That?s so silly I don?t even know where to begin.

That?s not true nor does it make sense considering the technologies involves and AT&T?s move to lower frequencies.

Slightly faster? How many magnitudes faster. The fact is Verizon was advertising ?3G? coverage for years when it was only EV-DO 1x which is at slower speeds than EDGE. Now that?s resolved, but so is AT&T?s ?3G? coverage over most of the US population.

What kind of piddly town has only one tower in the in the middle and nothing else hat you can drive 10 minutes in any direction to get out of AT&T?s range. Which town is this? I?ll bring up the tower maps for each company.

I almost always agree with what you have to say, but your attacking nature is unbecoming. I obviously was joking a bit with the plastic bag part, I was hoping nobody took that seriously. And 10 minutes was a bit of an exaggeration, I will grant you that. For the record, I live in Fort Wayne, IN, which is actually not a small town (~200,000) and has relatively good coverage from all the major carriers. We do not have the "4G" HSPA+ from AT&T (but ironically we do from T-Mobile. Go figure), but we do have 3G (but not 7.2Mbps, at least on my speed tests). However, we are still on their 1900MHz spectrum, so we don't have the benefit of the lower frequencies for building penetration. And I speak from experience when I say that there are many "dead" 3G spots where service drops to EDGE. I do not know if it's because every single tower hasn't been upgraded, or towers are just spread too far apart, but it happens regularly. My wife's Droid (paid for by her company, will be switching to iPhone on day 1), on the other hand, has 3-4 bars of 3G signal at all times, no matter if we're outside, inside, whatever (4 bars on a Droid is full signal, compared to iPhone's 5). Sorry for the exaggeration before and the poor attempts at humor, but now you know at least where I am coming from.
  • Reply 29 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mynameisjoe View Post

All this commotion is over nothing. I don't think Verizon is going to get the iPhone. Todays event is just to announce that the Beatles are coming to V-Cast.

• Reply 30 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mynameisjoe View Post

LOL

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Sorry for the exaggeration before and the poor attempts at humor, but now you know at least where I am coming from.

My apologizes for not seeing the humor. I certainly did take your comment too seriously.

The bottom line is all carriers have issues in one way or another. There is no one better carrier, at least not in the US, but there are certainly carriers that are better based on individual needs and your geographical location. This option will be good for everyone and it’ll be fun to watch Verizon and AT&T childishly attack each other like an episode of Jerry Springer when two people fight over the same girl/guy.
  • Reply 31 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Yes, but what happens when you are in the VAST majority of AT&T's data network that only gets EDGE, or their more-than-enough areas that have GPRS or no data at all?

They have 3G in most areas with a significant population so this is not a huge deal. However, if you are driving between cities on the interstate, you will be stuck on edge for the majority of the trip. I get car sick, so I'm not going to be using data even if I'm not driving. However, I could see this being a major issue for people that drive long distances a lot.
  • Reply 32 of 72
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimlat View Post

Let's see...ATT may be faster (if you have coverage...see map)....Consumer Reports ranks ATT at the bottom of customer service....

Can't wait for the Verizon iPhone and my upgrade date in March!!!

Consumer Reports couldn't recommend the iPhone 4! So I'll leave CR's credibility to each man's opinion, just saying. CR shouldn't be the thought of as the "Gold Standard".

I am using ATT service. I have great reception and the one time I called customer service, they went well beyond "the call of duty" so to speak. I was happy with the way my situation was handled and resolved!

And I bet ATT knows math better than Verizon Math!

/

/

/
  • Reply 33 of 72
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member
    Quote:

So what he is saying is that Apple has partnered with a poor quality network for years and years and years. Apple does not treat its customers that way.

Will we let Verizon get away with disparaging Apple and its business partners?

Oh, great, you're back.
  • Reply 34 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Consumer Reports couldn't recommend the iPhone 4! So I'll leave CR's credibility to each man's opinion, just saying. CR shouldn't be the thought of as the "Gold Standard".

I am using ATT service. I have great reception and the one time I called customer service, they went well beyond "the call of duty" so to speak. I was happy with the way my situation was handled and resolved!

And I bet ATT knows math better than Verizon Math!

/

/

/

I linked directly to the original audio recording because I?m sure some will only see the blog posts. While this is outrageous I think this could have happened to any carrier.
  • Reply 35 of 72
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member
    Quote:

... so suggesting CEOstevie is dense because he hasn?t spun a potential option into a hard fact isn?t wise.

CEOstevie is the serial troll previously known, among other names, as iLuv.
  • Reply 36 of 72
    lowepglowepg Posts: 106member
    Quote:

We've all been laughing at Verizon for years because they can't handle stuff that the iPhone is famous for.

Multitasking? Har!

Verizon is second rate. If I cannot access data while talking on my iPhone, then the Verizon iPhone is fatally crippled. IMHO.

Hmm. "You've" all been laughing? Hardly.

Most of your posts are silly, but I'll take the easy one:

Verizon users have been laughing at AT&T users for one simple thing THEY CAN handle that AT&T cant: using your phone for.....phone calls. Perhaps you are new to the internet or something and/or dont read the news- but the issue of coverage is pretty well settled- AT&T is WORST in the US. Sorry. I know its frustrating to be stuck in your 2 yr contract and need to rationalize your choice, but there it is.

BTW- I have accounts with both carriers (Ipad 3G on AT&T and Blackberry Dumbphone on VZ). The comparison for coverage here (Raleigh, NC) isnt even close. I can look at both devices and clearly see vast areas where VZ is max bars on phone and poor ipad in "no service."

Also, if multi-tasking is the only thing AT&T can crow about- they really gonna be hosed. Do you really need to be surfing for JerseyShore updates while talking to your mom and the phone? I dont. That feature wont impact most people one bit.

Id rather have data OR voice work perfectly, without drops than be able to (theoretically) do both simlutaneously, but poorly and with drops and failures.

However, who knows- the AT&T fanboys *might* be right. Let's check back in 90 days and see how sales are going for both carriers. LOL!
  • Reply 37 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ijoe View Post

As an IPHONE customer I am really excited to have two carriers battle it out for my business. This is great news for all of us. I am curious what tactics verizon will use to try to sway current att contract customers to cross over.

Bravo! I agree, and wish more people could see this in such a light. It seems like the response for so many people is to chat up the carrier they have chosen (or are restricted to) and hurl insults at the other (reminds me of game console discussions and Android vs. iOS). This is good news for everyone (except perhaps Apple competitors on Verizon's network).
  • Reply 38 of 72
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

We've all been laughing at Verizon for years because they can't handle stuff that the iPhone is famous for.

Multitasking? Har!

True, that is a great feature. But at least for data you have the option of using wi-fi if you can't get a cellular data connection. What is your option when you can't make a phone call?

It would be great to have it all. Maybe when LTE is fully rolled out we'll get it. But for now, for me personally, if I had to chose between a faster data connection and a greater assurance that I can make and hold a phone call when I want to, give me the more reliable phone connection. I paid the termination fee to get out of my ATT contract. Not because of the data service, but because my phone was quite useless as a phone. (And at the time I lived in one of the largest US cities, not out in the sticks somewhere.)
  • Reply 39 of 72
    It is 11 EST, the Verizon event is about to begin, and the Apple store still says "Select your iPhone, then choose your AT&T rate plan."
  • Reply 40 of 72
    Quote:

While this is outrageous I think this could have happened to any carrier.

Maybe "this could have happened to any carrier", especially with what the public schools are producing... However, it was Verizon and although disputes over billing occur on all carriers, Verizon's handling was egregious in that the mathematically ignorant went so high up the chain of management!