AT&T won't 'speculate' on plans to match Verizon's iPhone Wi-Fi tethering

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruckerz View Post

If I tether and download few gigabyte file, I can't receive any calls while that download is taking place ?? That's scary.

It would depend on the set up, many downloads will continue after a call some won't.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    I hope the tethering option becomes more competitive. I don't watch movies on my phone and wouldn't with a tethered laptop ... in fact I'm perfectly happy with AT&T's 200MB data plan. But I do want to connect my laptop to my iPhone to write email and do some programming with a full screen and keyboard. For me to upgrade to tethering now would cost, what, $45? $20 for the data plan upgrade and $25 for tethering? Not worth it...
  • Reply 23 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phoebetech View Post

There is no new groundwork for laying down fiber optics. It's a dead technology. It just costs too much money to maintain. Verizon can catchup with AT&T without having to lay down new cables while AT&T is stuck with their large network (which they may be in charge of their removal as well). You realize in the near future they will go up against other companies such as DishTV, Viacom and Cox for those same customers? Also, why do you need cable t.v. if you can stream HBO/Showtime from your Mifi or phone with WiFi/DLNA?

You are not living in reality.

My FIOS connection has been rock solid for two years now. Maybe there was a short outage once.

Counting on 3g or 4g for connectivity? Its down or unavailable often, no matter who provides it.

Fiber optic is superior technology for internet connectivity. Speed is one thing, and nothing can touch it, but to me the reliability is the most important factor and it beats hands down as well.

Stream TV for six months over wireless and tell me how many times it does not work. My FIOS for television has also been perfect over a two year period.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

It would depend on the set up, many downloads will continue after a call some won't.

I certainly hope VZW/Apple figure this out.. any hiccups in this launch and most likely apple will get the blame.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruckerz View Post

I certainly hope VZW/Apple figure this out.. any hiccups in this launch and most likely apple will get the blame.

I suspect it's a non issue. Most will be downloading apps and I can bet that they will continue without a hiccup after a call. If it is a big deal to anyone go to AT&T, we have choices ppl
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BeltsBear View Post

My FIOS connection has been rock solid for two years now. Maybe there was a short outage once.

Counting on 3g or 4g for connectivity? Its down or unavailable often, no matter who provides it.

Fiber optic is superior technology for internet connectivity. Speed is one thing, and nothing can touch it, but to me the reliability is the most important factor and it beats hands down as well.

Stream TV for six months over wireless and tell me how many times it does not work. My FIOS for television has also been perfect over a two year period.

Did I say the technology was ready now? Many fanboys are so short-sited and never one-step ahead..I guess it's a generational difference.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BeltsBear View Post

I agree on all you say about FiOs, we had it from the day it was available and it has been flawless. I even get more than I pay for on the speed front, I am on a 25 / 25 plan and see 33/30 most times. TV is perfect too.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The more I think about the pricing, shouldn't Verizon charge less than AT&T given you get less, i.e. no concurrent voice / data.

Nah. You don?t get that feature but you do get other features. To you and I SV&D is important, but to others it may not be, especially if they?ve been using Sprint of Verizon for years. Plus, the Hot Spot feature, especially if free, is kind of cool. Most importantly is likely the idea that Verizon?s network is more stable.

I have new questions?
    ? Who is doing the repairs?

? Will dialing 611 give you the option to choose Verizon for accounts and Apple?s US call center for technical support?

PS:
    I've got some more detail on the difference in antenna design on this new iPhone. As you can see from the pictures below, the good ol' death grip still attenuates signal strength on Verizon. Held normally I was getting a reading of -65 dBm on the Verizon iPhone, but in full on death grip the signal strength dropped to -83 dBm. That's in line with what we've seen on AT&T.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Nah. You don?t get that feature but you do get other features. To you and I SV&D is important, but to others it may not be, especially if they?ve been using Sprint of Verizon for years. Plus, the Hot Spot feature, especially if free, is kind of cool. Most importantly is likely the idea that Verizon?s network is more stable.

I have new questions?

? Will dialing 611 give you the option to choose Verizon for accounts and Apple?s US call center for technical support?

PS:
    I've got some more detail on the difference in antenna design on this new iPhone. As you can see from the pictures below, the good ol' death grip still attenuates signal strength on Verizon. Held normally I was getting a reading of -65 dBm on the Verizon iPhone, but in full on death grip the signal strength dropped to -83 dBm. That's in line with what we've seen on AT&T.

Oh no! The Android and BB rumor mill will be gearing up for a rerun...
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Quote:

PS:

The connection speed tests I assume show what BB and Android users live with, sure is interesting to be able to compare apples to apples, err I mean apples to androids at last.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    Apple is slipping on their UI. The WiFi icon is not aligned with the top of the text to its right ("To..."), although the Bluetooth icon is.

What's going on, Infinite Loop?
  • Reply 32 of 32
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:

I have new questions?

I am wondering the same. The Verizon FAQ seems to imply that Verizon is support contact:

Quote:

Who do I call for support or general questions?

Verizon Wireless customers with general support questions can contact customer service by dialing *611 from your cell phone, or (800) 922-0204 from a landline, Monday-Sunday 6am-11pm.