Apple's new CDMA iPhone has built-in Wi-Fi hotspot with iOS 4.2.5

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    I just hope that O2 implements it; since they already offer UBS + BT tethering it wouldnt be surprising, would it? Maybe im just getting my hopes up.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

Or you could plug it in to a wall outlet, USB port, car charger, or a portable charger. I have yet to have one of my iPhones completely die and be unusable.

I can attest to the life, I use my very original iPhone as an iPod now, it was ordered the day they were first launched. It is still working fine.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Verizon won't support Facetime on their "superior" CDMA Network.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/17652...od_and_the_bad

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

Neither will AT&T, so that's a wash.

That was the point. Everyone blamed AT&T (me included) for facetime being limited to wifi. That may still be the case. Could be we see facetime opened up to cellular when this phone is released or it stays wifi only. But it is more difficult to only blame AT&T since Verizon phones won't allow it either.

Personally, I think it was because of AT&T's network that the limitation was imposed, but even it Verizon's could handle it, Apple wouldn't want to have different Facetime capabilities between the two models.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

fra-A-agmentation!

This is a very disturbing trend. All iOS devices should use exactly the same OS.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CEOstevie View Post

This is a very disturbing trend. All iOS devices should use exactly the same OS.

As long as only Apple can make any subtle changes between hardware types what does it matter? Oh, but of course you know that you are just having fun
  • Reply 26 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Looks like they've given it a new name as well as a new iOS.

This site is always riddled with typos.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CEOstevie View Post

even the 3G, 3GS and 4 all have different files for the OS install. this time the new OS version has to account for different hardware and network modulation
  • Reply 28 of 31
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjw View Post

copying android.

google should pull an apple move and sue them for this

Why? That's a terrible move and it totally goes against the spirit of what Google stands for.

Not just that...it would be a bad business move. Google gets tons of income from being the default search engine on the iPhone. Why would they want to sue the hand that feeds them?

Don't be evil.

-----

This is a great feature. I use it a ton on my Nexus One. And when I get a tablet, I won't need a second data plan. Wifi only version will suffice.

Here in Canada, no carrier charges for tethering or hotspot functionality. Rogers tried that...customers revolted and they backed down. Hopefully it works out the same in the US.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Why? That's a terrible move and it totally goes against the spirit of what Google stands for.

Not just that...it would be a bad business move. Google gets tons of income from being the default search engine on the iPhone. Why would they want to sue the hand that feeds them?

Don't be evil.

-----

This is a great feature. I use it a ton on my Nexus One. And when I get a tablet, I won't need a second data plan. Wifi only version will suffice.

Here in Canada, no carrier charges for tethering or hotspot functionality. Rogers tried that...customers revolted and they backed down. Hopefully it works out the same in the US.

I was not being serious. Merely suggesting what apple's actions would be if the situation reversed. I bet they will charge for wifi hot spot in most places on iPhone. They charge through the roof on top of your contract for just tethering in Europe.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjw View Post

I was not being serious. Merely suggesting what apple's actions would be if the situation reversed. I bet they will charge for wifi hot spot in most places on iPhone. They charge through the roof on top of your contract for just tethering in Europe.

Apple doesn't charge for this; the carriers do.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

Apple doesn't charge for this; the carriers do.

Correct, but they don't charge for the same functionality on android phones.