Non-exclusive Apple-Verizon deal could allow iPhone on Sprint, T-Mobile

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook revealed on Tuesday that his company's agreement with Verizon for the CDMA iPhone is non-exclusive, meaning the new handset could also appear on Sprint's CDMA network.

When asked if the new CDMA iPhone is exclusive to Verizon, Cook called the deal "multi-year" and "non-exclusive." That means the other major CDMA carrier in the U.S., Sprint, could also offer Apple's smartphone, if it were to reach a deal with Apple.

Of course, the non-exclusive deal also leaves open the possibility of a future GSM iPhone offering compatibility with the fourth-largest carrier in the U.S., T-Mobile.

T-Mobile's U.S. network relies on different frequencies in the AWS 3G spectrum, supporting the 1700MHz and 2100MHz bands, while AT&T supports 850MHz and 1900MHz. The current iPhone hardware does not support the 1700MHz frequency, meaning a modification of the hardware would be necessary.

Another possibility could be regional wireless provider MetroPCS, the fifth-largest carrier in the U.S. Like Verizon and Sprint, it too operates a CDMA network.

Prior to Tuesday's news, some had speculated that Verizon could pay Apple extra in their deal to keep the iPhone away from other carriers like T-Mobile and Sprint, leaving Apple's smartphone only available from AT&T ant Verizon.

Outside of the U.S., the new CDMA iPhone will likely also allow Apple to make the iPhone available on other carriers like China Telecom. Last October, it was rumored that Apple and China Telecom were already in talks to offer a CDMA variant of the iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 92
    This is so good to know...make the iPhone available on all networks!

I can go to 10 grocery stores and buy the same bottle of Heinz Ketchup!

Love it. We will definitely see future price reductions from ATT if this comes to pass.

Imagine sprint offering unlimited everything for $79/mo?

Best
  • Reply 2 of 92
    Just what we need, FOUR iPhone models...
  • Reply 3 of 92
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    MetroPCS???

Sorry, but iPhones aren't meant to be thrown away after 2 weeks of use.
  • Reply 4 of 92
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I don?t think Sprint could offer that. I think they?d know the demand for the device and network use and charge more. I would.
  • Reply 5 of 92
    cimcim Posts: 197member
    This shows just how desperate Verizon is for the iPhone. They have zero leverage. Zero.
  • Reply 6 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Just what we need, FOUR iPhone models...

OH NO! Fragmentation!!!

/s
  • Reply 7 of 92
    dtbdtb Posts: 1member
    Yes!

I'm waiting patiently at T-Mobile.
  • Reply 8 of 92
    cimcim Posts: 197member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DTB View Post

Yes!

I'm waiting patiently at T-Mobile.

T-Mobile sucks.
  • Reply 9 of 92
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    This may be the biggest news of the day!
  • Reply 10 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CIM View Post

This shows just how desperate Verizon is for the iPhone. They have zero leverage. Zero.

You say that like it's a bad thing.
  • Reply 11 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

This is so good to know...make the iPhone available on all networks!

I can go to 10 grocery stores and buy the same bottle of Heinz Ketchup!

Love it. We will definitely see future price reductions from ATT if this comes to pass.

Best

With free hot spot service I'm in
  • Reply 12 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

MetroPCS???

Sorry, but iPhones aren't meant to be thrown away after 2 weeks of use.

Hey, at least they have a 4G LTE network! They have theirs up before AT&T and Verizon!
  • Reply 13 of 92
    would love to see iPhone on all 4 major US carriers.

Keeps the network provider in check when they know I can sell my iPhone, pay the ETF and get the same phone on a different network.

I like when the phone I want is available everywhere. The "ball is in my court" so to speak when it comes to keeping my carrier in check.

Great part about the iPhone, it sells for enough to pay the ETF, so that's a non issue.
  • Reply 14 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CIM View Post

T-Mobile sucks.

I'm happy with my TMo service...It's the cheapest and whenever I travel to Europe, I have no problems connecting to their network! You can't say that about AT&T or Verizon.
  • Reply 15 of 92
    Booost mooobile!!!
  • Reply 16 of 92
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Hopefully Sprint and other carriers will get the phone.
  • Reply 17 of 92
    Sprint owns Virgin Mobile, and nothing would make me happier than being able to use an iPhone again. I'm dealing with an Android phone because $27 a month on Virgin Mobile is too good to pass up.
  • Reply 18 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

OH NO! Fragmentation!!!

/s

But seriously it's not as you indicate ... They all run iOS and only one company can mess with that (JBs aside) unlike a certain other OS
  • Reply 19 of 92
    So if the iPhone isn't going to be available until Feb. 10 why is there a restriction on vacations at Apple stores in late January? Could it be that Apple has another big announcement this month that will begin shipping before the Verizon iPhone?
  • Reply 20 of 92
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    I had a feeling Verizon wasn't gonna get the exclusive along with AT&T. T-Mobile USA iPhone to be announce at WWDC? Next year at 2012? What about Sprint? Dan Hesse said he would love to have the iPhone on Sprint under the right terms.