Apple to add Wi-Fi hotspot to GSM iPhone with iOS 4.3 - rumor

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

Frankly, I don't see why AT&T wouldn't offer it. It already offers $20 tethering option for one computing device (excluding iPad) that piggybacks off of $25 2GB plan.

Letting 5 devices wouldn't make that much of a difference as they would still be sharing 2 GB bandwidth (and $10/additional 1GB).

Verizon's current hotspot plan actually costs $4.99 more than AT&T, as it requires $29.99 unlimited data plan and $20 hotspot feature (2GB data cap, not unlimited) and $20/additional 2GB.

Verizon gives you 5GB for tethering, not 2GB, which is much more reasonable. Either pay $29.99 for unlimited data on your phone plus $20 for 5GB of tethering (wireless or not), which is $50 total, or spend $60 for 5GB total on an aircard or MiFi. Much better deal in my opinion.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Hopefully this happens, then I'll be able to get an iPad2 with 3G but only get a pay-as-you-go sim for occasional use - no locked in plan.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    I'm looking forward to some good competition. I could really use a new alternative for my network.

I currently have 2 iphones w/ unlimited data plans. As of about 2 weeks ago, I finally got 3g coverage where I live. Before that, my house is on that border of the 3% that AT&T doesn't cover, so I would get lots of dropped calls. In fact, when I would stream data on my iphone, with apps like Pandora, I would use a non-ATT data network, which caused them to get so concerned, they turned a bit on my service that would display 'Off Network' instead of AT&T, when I wasn't on their data network, to make me feel bad, so that I wouldn't surf/stream, whenever I saw that message. Seems nice of them to let me know when they would be having to pay out of pocket for me to use my iphone.

For my home internet, I am using a VZ mifi. Another recent turn of events: I have the $59.99 / 5gb plan. I am eligible for a corp discount with my company, but in order for me to use that, I have to have a plan of $60+. When I got close to exceeding my 5g for my third consecutive month, I called VZ up, and asked what they had available. They told me about the $80.00 / 10gb plan. So I decided to get it for a month, just to get me thru my high month. When I went to look at my account online, I noticed that my 22% discount was now in affect, which now comes to $62.40 / 10gb. Not too shabby as mifi plans go.

The reason I have to use a mifi, is because I have NOTHING else in my neighborhood. N-O-T-H-I-N-G....so, the mifi gets me what I need, but doesn't really allow me to stream, like netflix, etc, etc. If I did, it would surely eat up my 5gb - now 10gb.

I tried the sprint mifi, but was barely on their 3g coverage. My thought was that I could buy a EVO, and hotspot it for my network. That would have solved my unlimited usage issue.

Next I tried the virgin mobile mifi. Since it runs on sprint network, I kinda figured it would be the same, and it pretty much was. Plus, it appeared that it removed a feature to allow it to be plugged in to usb, which I was relying on to plug into my cradlepoint mbr1200, which I use for my home network.

So if AT&T does allow this new feature, and I have the ability to do it to my existing iphone, I'll just turn one of those into my internet for my entire house, and then get a new phone for my wife, with a smaller data plan since she doesnt really need it like that.

At any rate, the possibilities are growing.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    Hoping they bring the hotspot feature to GSM iphone 4's in Canada.

I've had the tethering feature free and clear since day one.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    garypgaryp Posts: 150member
    So a mobile hot spot is built into iPhone 4, requiring only a software update to work. Does anyone know if the same is true of iPhone 3GS? Just curious...
  • Reply 26 of 30
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    Haha, it's free on android. (In the UK anyway) Since changing to android I save £30 a month and already get hot spot rather than having to tether. Apple is way behind on this and will be a victim of its own success in that you will always have to pay extra to use the phone as a data connection for other devices.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    It's tantamount to the water company charging you $X to run the dishwasher, $Y to take a shower, and $Z to wash your car. It's bullshit and the govt needs to step in and regulate this crap.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cinemagic View Post

I have a big problem with "tethering" option fees. ATT is simply raping its customers. iPhone users pay for a data plan. You pay for a certain amount of data per month. What is the difference if you use this data on your iPhone or use it on a tethered computer? It's still the same amount of data you purchased. The tethering option fee is simply paying twice for the same data. This is totally unfair to the customer. I have no moral problem whatsoever with jailbreaking and using MyWi. I refuse to be cheated any more than possible by ATT. It's great that Verizon is getting the iPhone. It would be even better if T-Mobile would get it, too. Competition is good for the consumer. ATT has had several years to take advantage of its iPhone customers. Now, we have a choice. ATT - Are you listening?

• Reply 28 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

It's tantamount to the water company charging you $X to run the dishwasher, $Y to take a shower, and $Z to wash your car. It's bullshit and the govt needs to step in and regulate this crap.

So yell at them to do it. You'll get made fun of for complaining about it here.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    It will be great if iPhone and Touch get this update. Once its on the devices, it probably won't take long before someone (Verizon or ATT) offer some kind of Data plan for the WiFi only iPads and Touch.

This is a big group of people that would be willing to pay a price to be able to turn those devices loose.

At the present time, I only have a Virgin Mobile MiFi. I pay only $40.00 monthly, that is it. With that I do ALL my Internet connections. I am online at least 18 hours in a day and night. I carry it with me all day. I have the internet with me at all times. Listen to Pandora all night, (10:00pm till 7:00am).

I would gladly pay Verizon that much at least.

But better, yet it would be awesome if somebody would finally do what they promised, and put that White Spaces they begged the Government for to use. They finally do something in our behalf, Google, Microsoft, and some others supposedly fought to get this. Now what is the holdup? Once it would be put to use, perhaps this new upgrade in the Apple device will be an unbeatable luxury.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by garyp View Post

So a mobile hot spot is built into iPhone 4, requiring only a software update to work. Does anyone know if the same is true of iPhone 3GS? Just curious...

If they push out another firmware update before the next iPhone hardware refresh, then I would guess that it would be supported on the 3GS. If they don't before June, expect them to only support the new hardware and the iPhone 4. It's been pretty much clockwork, new features are supported on current and last gen hardware for the iPhones, I don't own an iPod Touch so who knows there. It doesn't really matter to me though, fastest speeds I get are in the 25 - 30 KBs range on a clear day in broad sunlight. AT&T is horrible out to a 60 mile range where I live, and every one of their competitors has rock solid service in the same footprint. If I wasn't forced to move here to find employment I wouldn't have AT&T. Too big a hassle to pay and ETF and jump ship. Hopefully I'll be gone to a better area by June-July for school.