Google drops support for H.264 video in Chrome to push WebM

Comments

• Reply 301 of 334
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That also means the majority, if not all, of these companies are also scum for backing H.264.

Cool it with the personal attacks.

was i addressing you with that one? i don't think so.
  • Reply 302 of 334
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

of course sony is scum. one of the worst. apple has become the new sony.

So, everyone is scum, except the pure as the driven snow open source coders struggling to free mankind from the scourge of intellectual property?

And, if Google are scum, as well as everyone else, shouldn't we expect that they have an ulterior motive in backing WebM? Maybe, just maybe, they have an evil plan to pervert open source to their own ends... gasp!
  • Reply 302 of 334
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I honestly don't know why anyone's gettign worked up. Opera browser works on my Iphone just fine.

because its fun to do when you are bored with work....ha.
  • Reply 304 of 334
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

was i addressing you with that one? i don't think so.

Who you are attacking is irrelevant to the point. If anonymouse was making personal attacks against you I?d tell him to stop, too. Go on if you insist, but I warned you for your own good.
  • Reply 305 of 334
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

So, everyone is scum, except the pure as the driven snow open source coders struggling to free mankind from the scourge of intellectual property?

And, if Google are scum, as well as everyone else, shouldn't we expect that they have an ulterior motive in backing WebM? Maybe, just maybe, they have an evil plan to pervert open source to their own ends... gasp!

yes, pretty much everyone is scum except for the open source coders.
  • Reply 306 of 334
    Quote:

Who you are attacking is irrelevant to the point. If anonymouse was making personal attacks against you I?d tell him to stop, too. Go on if you insist, but I warned you for your own good.

oh. okay, so the 'tone' of ones post can be as slimy as you wish just don't use any exact derogatory word....

where were you when i objected to the use of 'freetard' and was told 'i shouldn't take it personally as it wasn't directed at me'? guess you weren't patrolling the streets that day.

removed the objectionable word from the post.
  • Reply 307 of 334
    Quote:

Be gentle with the innocent open source accolyte, he's on a mission from god.
  • Reply 308 of 334
    Quote:

Be gentle with the innocent open source accolyte, he's on a mission from god.

i couldn't be. god is just a made up fairy tale to frighten the sheep of the world.
  • Reply 309 of 334
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

oh. okay, so the 'tone' of ones post can be as slimy as you wish just don't use any exact derogatory word....

where were you when i objected to the use of 'freetard' and was told 'i shouldn't take it personally as it wasn't directed at me'? guess you weren't patrolling the streets that day.

removed the objectionable word from the post.

I didn’t see any freetard comment.

Anyway, according to the rules of the forum you can’t attack the person. You can go after their ideas. for instance, “Your idea is stupid” is okay, but “You are stupid” is not okay

While that might save you from being banned from the site it doesn’t make a foundation for a sound argument. Remember that the posters make up a small percentage of the total readers. You can say you don’t care what anyone thinks, but that isn’t true or you won’t be making an argument for your case in the first place.

You could further make your argument sound better by making sure an opinion is stated as such. For instance, “I think your idea is stupid.” You can further make your argument better by removing pejorative terms like stupid that put your opponent on the defensive and replace it with something less harsh and then explaining why you think so. “I think your idea doesn’t work. Here’s why…”

PS: Disparaging remarks about religion (and politics) also don’t help.
  • Reply 310 of 334
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:

i couldn't be. god is just a made up fairy tale to frighten the sheep of the world.

I think god is supposed to be Mr. Stallman.
  • Reply 311 of 334
    Quote:

I was speaking metaphorically. But, we all worship something, whether we realize it or not.
  • Reply 312 of 334
    Quote:

I didn’t see any freetard comment.

Anyway, according to the rules of the forum you can’t attack the person. You can go after their ideas. for instance, “Your idea is stupid” is okay, but “You are stupid” is not okay

While that might save you from being banned from the site it doesn’t make a foundation for a sound argument. Remember that the posters make up a small percentage of the total readers. You can say you don’t care what anyone thinks, but that isn’t true or you won’t be making an argument for your case in the first place.

You could further make your argument sound better by making sure an opinion is stated as such. For instance, “I think your idea is stupid.” You can further make your argument better by removing pejorative terms like stupid that put your opponent on the defensive and replace it with something less harsh and then explaining why you think so. “I think your idea doesn’t work. Here’s why…”

PS: Disparaging remarks about religion (and politics) also don’t help.

hmm, or i could read Weston's little book....nah.

are disparaging remarks about santa claus okay?
  • Reply 313 of 334
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I think god is supposed to be Mr. Stallman.

i like Woz, Wittgenstein, Peirce, Polya, Turing, Von Neumann, Quine, Weinberg.

oh and i would be okay with Bill Joy being a demi-god

those could be called gods and i wouldn't object ha.
  • Reply 314 of 334
    Quote:

I was speaking metaphorically. But, we all worship something, whether we realize it or not.

profound.
  • Reply 315 of 334
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

well unless a lawsuit stops webm prepare to install the codecs on your safari and ie browser. so you guys stick with your DC and the rest of the world will go with AC.

all that matters is the legality of it all. otherwise rest in peace h.264

have a banana, chimp.

No professional tools, not much use. Kinda hard to kill H.264 when there is only a promise and an absolute disaster of a WebM tech spec.
  • Reply 316 of 334
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

No professional tools, not much use. Kinda hard to kill H.264 when there is only a promise and an absolute disaster of a WebM tech spec.

Yes, but, remember, this isn't really about promoting WebM. Even Google knows that isn't going anywhere. It's about propping up Flash, which won't kill H.264 either, since it depends on it. Basically, Google has decided it's in its best interest to try to sabotage direct HTML video.
  • Reply 317 of 334
    Quote:

Google, apparently, has decided that promoting these widely adopted open standards isn't giving it the leverage it wants in certain markets. So, they dump the open standard in favor of a move that essentially drives content providers back into the arms of closed, proprietary Flash.

Because they have seen the light of the currently completely uncontrolled use of Flash cookies. Those are wide open to really evil uses with absolutely no adequate oversight. Most people don't even know they exist or how much powerful they are when used "properly" from the trackers point of view. They are an advertisers wet dream compared to cookies just being a webmasters dream.
  • Reply 318 of 334
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Yes, but, remember, this isn't really about promoting WebM. Even Google knows that isn't going anywhere. It's about propping up Flash, which won't kill H.264 either, since it depends on it. Basically, Google has decided it's in its best interest to try to sabotage direct HTML video.

None of that really matters unless Google takes away H.264 from YouTube, then the DOJ will have to get involved. Not a likely scenario. The whole thing is a non-issue.
  • Reply 319 of 334
    Quote:

I see what you did there.

Yes, it was nicely played and shows just how poorly though-out every one of screamingfist's arguments are. The amusing part is he still doesn't understand how completely he destroys his own arguments. He probably still won't and he'll just get more frustrated and do an even better job now.
  • Reply 320 of 334
    Quote:

Replace your last sentence with something along the lines of the below. Declare yourself a Winnah!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Because they have seen the light of the currently completely uncontrolled use of Flash cookies. Those are wide open to really evil uses with absolutely no adequate oversight. Most people don't even know they exist or how much powerful they are when used "properly" from the trackers point of view. They are an advertisers wet dream compared to cookies just being a webmasters dream.

Google wants the Flash wrapper, they don't give a crap about the codec. It's just indirection that will potentially trap a whole bunch of other folks that just follow the codec and get burned should MPEG-LA change from FUD to fight.