Jim Rome and his radio show callers...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    It's not any worse than the liberal pin heads that call into public radio to let us know that cell phones cause cancer just because you know the whole thing with the environment these days and global warming so the corporate pirates know that this is happening and if there was a point to the call it was lost when the pot head caller started talking.

• Reply 22 of 28
    CaseCom:

I used to listen to a funny sportsshow when I lived up there. I think it was called Monday Night Sports Talk. They also had a Sat morning version. On KSTP.

You live in a great city.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    thoth2thoth2 Posts: 277member
    [quote]Originally posted by jeffyboy:

<strong>Oh, man I loved Joe Morgan when I followed baseball! I don't think any announcer in any sport puts across more knowlege during a game.

I can't understand how he isn't a manager by now.

Jeff</strong><hr></blockquote>

He's not a manager b/c he says stuff like this in his ESPN colum (paraphrasing):

On base percentage is overrated in a leadoff hitter. The most important tool for leadoff hitter is speed. That way he can steal more bases

and draw more throws at first.

WHAT!?! So, if you're fast but can't get on base, you're a good leadoff hitter (that last word

being the operative one)? He also said walks were overrated. Ok then, Joe...I guess The Rickey is the greatest lead off hitter of all time b/c he's fast, not b/c his OBP is .400+, and has the most walks of all time. Sure he's got the most stolen bases too, but he had to get on base first, yes?

Morgan's easy to listen to, but he's definitely not someone I'd want managing my team.

Anyway, on topic. Rome's an idiot. Its too bad Everett freaked out b/c that made Rome's star rise. Talk radio sucks. Gammons is a shill for the owners and has no real information. Clayton and Stark are the best guys on ESPN. Stark is more perspicacious on baseball trades, performance, rumours than the rest. Neyer's good too if you like stathead stuff (I do).

Thoth.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    That is a very odd take, especially considering that Joe Morgan walked a ton during his career. He is fifth or sixth or something all time for BB IIRC. Not only is OBP superior in other regards, it is also far more flattering to his career. If I were him I would much rather people look at my OBP rather than my rather unspectacular batting average.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    casecomcasecom Posts: 314member
    [quote]Originally posted by Gringo Viejo:

<strong>CaseCom:

I used to listen to a funny sportsshow when I lived up there. I think it was called Monday Night Sports Talk. They also had a Sat morning version. On KSTP.

You live in a great city.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Pat Reusse and Joe Soucheray ... Yep, they're still on Saturday mornings, KSTP AM 1500, although I think the Monday show fell by the wayside. I used to be a semiregular listener; I should tune in again one of these days. They're a riot.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    [quote]Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath:

<strong>Search and ye shall receive:

<a href="http://www.moderntv.com/modtvweb/qtclips/violence.htm"; target="_blank">http://www.moderntv.com/modtvweb/qtclips/violence.htm</a></strong><hr></blockquote>;

Wow, who was the "Chris" there?!

Little Rome folded up and layed down pretty damn quick there. What a classic!!

• Reply 27 of 28
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I remember thinking Rome got off lucky. You don't play QB for crappy teams like the L.A. Rams and N.O. Saints without building up some toughness.

I really wish Everett had broken his larynx or something, keep that idiot away from me and off radio/TV.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    sizzle chestsizzle chest Posts: 1,133member
    The ironic thing is that even though Rome looks like a puss-girl in that clip, the incident built up his reputation and got people talking about him in a way that helped his career. You'd think scampering away like a sissy would have been the kiss of death for a career in the macho world of sports.