Apple issues iOS 4.3 beta with Personal Hotspot, new multitouch gestures

Comments

• Reply 20 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GreenG4 View Post

I have a developers account...can any developers tell me if it's working and enabled for proper testing using AT&T's network?

Talk to other developers, offline, that respect the NDA.
  • Reply 22 of 77
    Removed
  • Reply 23 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fleetst View Post

Looks like Apple TV will soon be opening up to third-party apps. Great news!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

where do you get that idea? Apple is simply letting developers stream their in-app video to the AppleTV via airplay, if the developer wants to allow such a feature within their app.

The way it's written either of you could be right. But since the ATV has little storage of its own, it's hard to see how third party apps could be loaded on unless they were very small. I can see ATV as a medium to make the TV your screen and your iPhone, iTouch or iPad your game controller. But thinking of playing Angry Birds this way, I am having trouble seeing how I would control the birds without some visual feedback on the TV screen of where my finger is in the field of play--without that I'd keep looking down at my iPhone. Maybe Angry Birds will offer an update to add this option--a little circle to show where your fingertip is on the big screen.
  • Reply 24 of 77
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

So, if I have (say) an iPhone 3GS and an iPod Touch 4G with me, this means I can share my 3G connectivity to the iPod through WiFi and use FaceTime while outside? (effectively bypassing the restriction)

Good question!
  • Reply 25 of 77
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

The new Hotspot tethering will work great if released on AT&Ts network. On Verizon, anyone sharing a Hotspot will find themselves disconnected if/when an actual phone call comes in for the iPhone owner. Can you hear me now?

From my understanding, only if the call is ANSWERED. You have the choice to see who's calling and decide if you want to interrupt your data connection. No, it's not ideal. But you aren't automatically booted off your data connection like some people would have you believe.
  • Reply 26 of 77
    redacted
  • Reply 27 of 77
    YAY! A switch option!
  • Reply 28 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

The way it's written either of you could be right. But since the ATV has little storage of its own, it's hard to see how third party apps could be loaded on unless they were very small. I can see ATV as a medium to make the TV your screen and your iPhone, iTouch or iPad your game controller. But thinking of playing Angry Birds this way, I am having trouble seeing how I would control the birds without some visual feedback on the TV screen of where my finger is in the field of play--without that I'd keep looking down at my iPhone. Maybe Angry Birds will offer an update to add this option--a little circle to show where your fingertip is on the big screen.

The ATV 2 has 8GB NAND storage -- enough for several movies and or games.

For most flexibility, the apps, say Angry Birds, would be cross-loaded to the ATV from your iTunes library on the same network -- a few second delay.

I have been doing some experimenting with running the Mac version of AB on a Mini connected to the same HDTV as the ATV.

The Mac version of AB uses a mouse or touchpad as the remote -- and you do not need to take your eyes off the TV to look at the remote:

-- the scroll button or gesture zooms/unzooms the display

-- mouse movement or gesture moves a pointer of an open hand

-- press-hold over the slingshot causes the hand pointer to close (and engage the slingshot)

-- drag-release aims and fires the slingshot.

It works pretty well!

There is a little hand icon that shows the
  • Reply 29 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Jeez! Removed NDA ... sorry

Fixed -- pls fix quote.
  • Reply 30 of 77
    n42n42 Posts: 34member
    Apple is doing really well fighting the Jailbreak scene. Providing incentive to update to the latest firmware, while releasing new updates at a pace that the Jailbreak scene can't keep up with. I just finally got a working jailbreak on 4.2.1 yesterday! But I prefer running the latest iOS, so I will revert to 4.3 today.

The only three reasons I jailbreak is:

- SMS doesn't let you hide the keyboard once you've activated it, which is extremely annoying for someone who texts a lot and receives large text messages. You have to go back to the conversations screen then select your conversation again to hide the keyboard.

- Quick reply for SMS

- Unlimited icons in folders

.. which are all somewhat minor features. Quick Reply is probably the least likely of Apple to add.

Apple is fighting the jailbreakers with the best method possible: provide the user with frequent, rewarding updates.
  • Reply 31 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Fixed -- pls fix quote.

done
  • Reply 32 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

iOS Just keeps getting better and better. Wonder what Apple has up their sleeve with version 5.0!

Hopefully widgets or dynamic icons. Why does the calendar icon show me the date but everything else have to be static. A weather app icon that actually includes weather information might be helpful for instance.
  • Reply 33 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

done

Thx... I got confused and excited at the same time!
  • Reply 34 of 77
    The calendar app icon shows the date?!
  • Reply 35 of 77
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I heard a rumour from someone, who has never been on this website, that iOS 3.2 now has ProRes. What would this unconfirmed rumour mean to developers and users if it turns out to be correct?
  • Reply 36 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I heard a rumour from someone, who has never been on this website, that iOS 3.2 now has ProRes. What would this unconfirmed rumour mean to developers and users if it turns out to be correct?

if that were to happen I think that streaming HD quality video might be more efficient, right? via AirPlay or a media application streaming from your desktop..
  • Reply 37 of 77
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by n42 View Post

if that were to happen I think that streaming HD quality video might be more efficient, right? via AirPlay or a media application streaming from your desktop..

I don?t really know, but from what I can tell an ?intermediate codec? would benefit apps, like iMovie, that are used for editing. This could allow Apple to offer higher-bit video that can edited and converted faster and smoother than the competition.
  • Reply 38 of 77
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Engadget has a video of the new gestures in action. They look awesome.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/12/i...-support-to-a/

Who needs a home button?
  • Reply 39 of 77
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    I've been playing with the beta for about an hour now. You can now stream video from your camera roll to your Apple TV. Also, it appears the shutter sound when taking pictures has been tweaked.
  • Reply 40 of 77
    Really, what would be the point of ever buying a iPad 3G if you could create a hotspot on your iPhone. I'm assuming most iPad users would have an iPhone.