• Reply 21 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Whack-a-mole-troll

• Reply 22 of 36
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is there still any question about netbooks taking a hit?

Netbooks? What netbooks? They just renamed them

Media pad... whatever...
  • Reply 23 of 36
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IlikeAppel View Post

I actually DON'T want Apple's market share to get any bigger because I don't want viruses/malware written for OS X to become a problem.

Don't sweat it - Mac OSX market share is not why Mac OSX is virus free \
  • Reply 24 of 36
    recrec Posts: 217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Not to mention a vastly larger percentage of home use, by some accounts nearing 25% in the US. God knows what that figure would be if you included iPads, since I've seen reports that including iPads in PC sales figures would make Apple the number one computer vendor in the US overall.

However, I am curious about this IDC number, since IDC themselves reported that Apple had a 10.6 share in the third quarter. Since this report remarks on Apple's growth relative to the industry, how is it that their current share is actually smaller? Doesn't add up.

I remember at one point they reported that Apple had somewhere between 10-15% of the laptop market. Its easy enough to get these numbers mixed up anyway.

I think the truth is Apple has at least 10% of the PC market, and not because of the iPad. They count ATMs and cash registers as PC sales in some cases, it throws the numbers off.

I didn't see it in this article, but what would Apple's PC marketshare be if they did count the iPad? 15%? 20%?
  • Reply 25 of 36
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by REC View Post

I remember at one point they reported that Apple had somewhere between 10-15% of the laptop market. Its easy enough to get these numbers mixed up anyway.

I think the truth is Apple has at least 10% of the PC market, and not because of the iPad. They count ATMs and cash registers as PC sales in some cases, it throws the numbers off.

I didn't see it in this article, but what would Apple's PC marketshare be if they did count the iPad? 15%? 20%?

24%, according to a Deutsche Bank analyst.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CEOstevie View Post

Only 8.n%? I thought that Apple had reached 10% market penetration a while ago? At only 8% growth, won't they have a shrinking share of the user base?"

No. This is share of unit sales for the three months in the quarter. I think what you are referring to is market share of the installed base, or rather PC user base. Since Macs have a much longer replacement cycle as well as being more expensive, the share of the installed base can increase even if share of unit sales fall since it's possible that a user buys two PCs over the span that another user buys one Mac.

In addition, since businesses also are a huge buyer of PCs, Mac share looks much smaller than it actually is in terms of ownership. Some people have a PC at work, PC at home, but also have a Mac too. In the US, I believe roughly 30% of households own a Mac. Many of those also have a PC as well.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    The iPad should be counted as a computer, therefore, Apple is the number one computer manufacturer in the World. Still doubt that, the iPhone is a pocket computer.

Apple should buy Microsoft and then sale off everything except Office. They would recoup their investment in a few years. Oh yeah, there is that Monopoly thing. I guess Microsoft users will just have to live with poorly designed products. Kind of a shame.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 29 of 36
    deleted
  • Reply 30 of 36
    Daniel:

The spreadsheets that are supposed to reflect annual sales contain columns that refer to 4thQtr 2010 and 4thQtr 2009.

This is below your usual standard. btw - hasn't anyone else noticed this?
  • Reply 31 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Is Apple really that good or are they (the "competition") really that stupid and inept?

Well, the older I get, the more I see how far consistent, long-term competence can take a person -- or company. What amazes me is how difficult that seems to be for so many businesses. By that standard -- as well as technical creativity, uncompromising design, and engineering perseverance -- Apple is that good.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Once you get past the headline, Dilger's article actually says that Lenovo was the fastest-growing PC maker worldwide, and in the US for 2010 as a whole Apple's 18.2% was bested by a rather significant margin with Toshiba's 23.10%

So it seems his headline only makes sense if you limit your view of the data to just the US and for one quarter only.

The real story here is that Toshiba rocked in 2010, and Lenovo rocked the world in Q4.

Don't get me wrong: as an Apple shareholder I'm glad to see they're doing so well. But this sort of headline/body contrast is a bit, shall we say, Foxesque, and really should be beneath serious writers.

What about "fastest growing PC maker in US 4Q sales" is throwing you off? There was a report on computer sales, a guy writing on an Apple centric, US based site noted the big gains of Apple in the US.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    deleted
  • Reply 34 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Evidently, from the post you replied to, I'm not missing a thing.

It's just funny, being so very selective about statistics to fill an otherwise-slow news day.

What will we see next week?

HEADLINE: On January 17 between 10:45 AM and 4:40 PM Apple had the strongest sales of any PC manufacturer in Ohio.

I love AI. Like I love Glenn Beck.

Exactly.

Fastest growing PC maker in Q4 US sales isn't a trivial blip, particularly for the long market-share challenged Apple. There's nothing surprising or extra selective about AI taking note. Characterizing it as some tiny random factoid is silly. What any of that has to do with Glenn Beck escapes me.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    deleted
  • Reply 36 of 36
    deleted