Verizon dropping early upgrades, discounts ahead of iPhone launch

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

AT&T only did that last year. It was the first sign that AT&T was going to lose their exclusivity with a year as the move locked people into new 2 year contracts, and with higher ETFs. They took a smaller loss then to prevent a larger loss this year. I don?t think they?ll be doing it again.

Nah, I've always been offered upgrade pricing after 12 months, upgrading from each of the 3 iPhones to the next. I pay over $120 a month for service though.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    Good luck Verizon. There are two options for iPhone providers now, and I can port my number wherever I want when it's time to upgrade and never miss a call when I do.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

They aren't taking away a customer's NE2 that still has one, only saying that once they use it (if it's after January 16th), they will not get another one again.

If I've had my current Verizon phone for over three years, will they pay me to get an iPhone? After all, I kept paying the full plan prices long after my phone subsidy was paid off.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

What just because he's a VZW customer means he doesn't own other Apple products? This is not a solely iPhone blog.

Agreed. I've been saying the same thing for years.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    No you likely should not need a new phone every year or two.

I think the OEMs have created an world where they want you to think you need a new phone every two years and the carriers have played along because it means you are more likely to renew with them - especially if there are incentives for early upgrade or penalties for leaving before the end of a contract.

My guess is we have gotten to a point where the new hardware is not cheap disposable crap and the old model of giving the phone away free is not leaving enough profit margin for ALL the players in the game.

And at the same time - if you are getting a free phone every two years - then why not. Of course the trick is that when you go to the store thinking I will get a free phone - how often do you end up instead with a $100 or $150 or $100 plus activation plus service upgrade etc - and the "free" phone costs you $250 by the time you are done.

For me I think 3 years is about how long I have had most phones - one exception being the original iPhone - which I have given to my son as an iPod Touch (no cell service). Any time I am looking for some new hardware I start by looking to see who would buy my old tech from me - although about half the time I end up giving it away or storing it away for years thinking I will find a use for it then wondering 10 years later why I still have this ancient piece of junk cluttering up my basement.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Another thing Verizonite smart phone lovers will have to get used to... NO iPhone BOGO offers. Ever!
  • Reply 27 of 40
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,630member
    This announcement is no surprise. No discounts on iPhone.

Early upgrades are always negotiable.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Another thing Verizonite smart phone lovers will have to get used to... NO iPhone BOGO offers. Ever!

I wonder if there was anything Verizon and Apple signed in their contract that says Verizon can't do a BOGO.

Because technically speaking, once Verizon pays for stock from Apple, the units become Verizon's property and they can sell them however they wish. Unless, of course, it's not that simple...
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

AT&T only did that last year. It was the first sign that AT&T was going to lose their exclusivity with a year as the move locked people into new 2 year contracts, and with higher ETFs. They took a smaller loss then to prevent a larger loss this year. I don?t think they?ll be doing it again.

AT&T has always had a tiered upgrade eligibility program based on revenue. Users with >$75 monthly charges were eligible to upgrade sooner than those with lower monthly bills. What you're referring to is the concession they made to allow current users who had contracts expiring in 2010 to upgrade to the iPhone 4 early at the full discount.

Also, AT&T allows you to upgrade your iPhone once in the first 18 months at an "early upgrade" price of $399/499 if you're not eligible for the full discounted pricing. VZW will not be doing this either, as I understand it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

I wonder if there was anything Verizon and Apple signed in their contract that says Verizon can't do a BOGO.

Because technically speaking, once Verizon pays for stock from Apple, the units become Verizon's property and they can sell them however they wish. Unless, of course, it's not that simple...

VZW probably won't be doing BOGO's simply due to fact that it would be prohibitively expensive in equipment subsidies. Other than that, I would suspect that Apple has some type of price protection built in to their agreement like they do on most of their products with most of their partners.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    And it begins. Enjoy the utter stupidity of bureaucrats from yet another wireless company.

They'll be sitting around scratching their heads in 2 months wondering why initial demand wasn't as high as they thought it would be. "What do you mean people weren't willing to pay $400 for an Verizon iPhone!...I thought this was supposed to be the golden calf?"
  • Reply 31 of 40
    VZW confirmed on the phone that both of our current phone contracts are 2 years old or more so both are eligible for New In Two, which will be $50 off each iPhone. Nice. That should help pay for new cases....and new car audio solutions....and having to finally pony up and buy a retail install version of Leopard, since we still run a G4 at work that will need to sync with the new iPhones, and Leopard is required for iTunes 10 which is required for iPhone 4. (It looks like $139 is the best I can do for that on eBay, unless there is another solution, anyone?)
  • Reply 32 of 40
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,630member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dougw View Post

VZW confirmed on the phone that both of our current phone contracts are 2 years old or more so both are eligible for New In Two, which will be $50 off each iPhone. Nice. That should help pay for new cases....and new car audio solutions....and having to finally pony up and buy a retail install version of Leopard, since we still run a G4 at work that will need to sync with the new iPhones, and Leopard is required for iTunes 10 which is required for iPhone 4. (It looks like $139 is the best I can do for that on eBay, unless there is another solution, anyone?)

Betcha no discount come pre-order day.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    if you read the article, it sounds like they are still going to have some upgrade discount. doesn't specify what it is.

and it seems to me like all new every two ever got me was the "new plan" promotional price anyway, not cheaper than what a new customer would pay.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by renfield33 View Post

if you read the article, it sounds like they are still going to have some upgrade discount. doesn't specify what it is.

and it seems to me like all new every two ever got me was the "new plan" promotional price anyway, not cheaper than what a new customer would pay.

Exactly, I was wondering the same thing.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    I'm currently in month 14 of my contract, and am currently eligible for promotional pricing purchase, but definitely not NE2. I'm just wondering what I'll have to pay for the iPhone. If its $600 I'll be waiting.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    So, at first I didn't understand the article, but I think I now do.

All that NE2 is, is a rebate? Up to 100 dollars, right?

Ok, What is the retail price of a 16 gig iPhone (without a contract)?

Isn't it like 599?

Verizon will still offer a discounted price from the retail price, because they make up the difference up with the plans over the 2 years?

Right?
  • Reply 37 of 40
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    The NE2 is an ADDITIONAL discount on TOP of the one you get for signing a contract. To qualify for a Ne2, your VOICE plan must be above 34.99 (not including data, or features)

For example, the iPhone is 199 for a 2 year new customer/upgrade price. A NE2 could potentially bring that price down to $99 (if they had a really old credit) but more than likely $149. The ONLY thing going away here is that credit. Customers can still get the 199 pricing.

Annual upgrades are a different animal entirely. This was a special promotion that only certain lines (phones with VOICE plans 49.99 or higher) qualified for. If you had it, you could get 2yr pricing on a new phone every 12months. This means 199.

What ATT had was an extra 100-200 dollars to upgrade early. This is VERY different. For all we know, Verizon might actually offer this program, we don't know yet. All we know is that the steep 12 month discount is going away.

If you currently have a NE2 or annual upgrade, you can use it ONE MORE TIME. When you upgrade again, you'll have the 20 month upgrade path just like secondary and basic lines have always had.

you STILL have the option of signing up with verizon with ANY phone on a one year contract if you want. You pay more up front (currently $70, iphone could be more) but you get a discount every 10 months instead of 20.

I can understand why apple insider got this wrong, but it amazes me that EVERY single tech site out there doesn't understand carrier contracts, at all.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by j_lavasser View Post

For people who have already upgraded with their old contact which included "New Every Two", after the 16th, people will have to pay the retail price for they're upgrades?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

What am I missing? Question number 6 on the Verizon iPhone FAQ seems pretty reassuring:

"Will existing customers be able to redeem their New Every Two credit?

Yes, existing customers will be able to take advantage of their New Every Two credit if eligible, and use it towards the purchase of iPhone (may not be available at all agent locations)."

Just for the record, when I did my first "New Every Two" some years back the credit was $200 - and I only found it had dropped to $100 when I went to get my next phone.

So Verizon is very "flexible" about what they "do for you."
  • Reply 39 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOEW View Post

That's all really funny. As a VZ subscriber, I tried to do the pre-launch info on the email that was sent. I'm 1 year or less into my VZ contract.

I'm eligible for an iphone, but there's a $20 early upgrade charge. I'm ok with that. The main reason is that I don't want an iphone that does less than what my current phone does.

Also, just to add, we get full VZ speeds here in my area. ATT, at best, gets only 700k maximum. It's probably an ATT capacity issue, and they surely could learn about capacity from VZ.

Couple that with driving 10 mins out of the city, and ATT is on EDGE... 10 mins out of the city... nobody can stand edge unless it's a last resort if you are lost... oh wait the iphone doesn't have built-in-navigation.... hmmmm.

The iphone 4 has built in GPS. so it doesnt depend on cell towers. You should research the products before making comments
  • Reply 40 of 40
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by twlott View Post

The iphone 4 has built in GPS. so it doesnt depend on cell towers. You should research the products before making comments

Welcome to the forum.

MOEW does make some odd comments but one of them isn?t ?built-in navigation? to mean GPS. He?s referring to a preinstalled app that will give you turn-by-turn directions. Also, to be clear, the iPhone?s GPS is A-GPS so it does get assistance from cell towers to expedite locking onto a location, as well a use Skyhook Wireless.