Apple could remove home button in next-gen iPad, iPhone - rumor

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 106
    dishdish Posts: 64member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 3goldens View Post

Man I hope that is not true, I am sick and tired of Apple just taking things away that seem to work just fine,

Probably some sort of cost cutting measure. They just cant leave well enough alone, can you apple.

Probably some 20 something x gen developed this feature and thought, hey mon this is cool no button!

DOn;t crao around with out buttons Jobs, or someone will get pissed and star a campaign to have it put back on!

Apple has a patent for a software bezel that can disappear when it's not needed. they will never be able to implement that so long as the button is there in the way. Once they delete the button you can have true edge to edge screen and still have a bezel for your thumbs. (I'm thinking mainly about the iPad, I don't know if this would be something for the iPhone).
  • Reply 102 of 106
    I heard Jakob Nielsen almost committed suicide after reading about the possibility of the iPad eschewing the Home button.
  • Reply 103 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reklss41 View Post

Just move it to the side.

Was just thinking that as well. Why not move it to the side/edge of the case? Does Steve really abhor buttons THAT much?

No reason the home button and advanced gestures can't coexist. Replacing something that requires ONE finger with a gesture that requires five seems very un-Apple, even Microsoft-like.
  • Reply 104 of 106
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Sorry.

Comedy and sarcasm are both hard to do on the net. Your so dry I always end up assuming that your being straight when you're not.

For the last time, I am totally straight! And furthermore, I was never anywhere near those sheep!

Seriously though, my remark about telekinesis didn't make it obvious I was kidding? Should I have used some smilies or winks or something to make it clearer?
  • Reply 105 of 106
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    I guess this means the new nano was popular.

I like the simplicity of the home button. I like that consecutive taps always take you to the app folder>springboard>first home screen>search no matter where you are.

I don't see Steve ever asking people to perform a scrunch gesture (five finger pinch) on an iPhone sized screen for something as rudimentary as returning to the home screen.

If they did remove they home button anywhere it would be the iPad. I imagine that would tie nicely into the orientation neutralilty of the device. It would be annoying though if you accidentally triggered a scrunch gesture in a drawing app or a multitouch game like eliss. And some companies have started using iPads as low cost kiosks because they can hide the underlying OS by simply locking the iPad inside a device which covers the home button.
  • Reply 106 of 106
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,438moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Kind of digging that classy little notification area-- although I think Apple uses a non-serif typeface, no?

That's right, I'm not sure why I used a serif. I also think that it would be better one at a time so you can tap to see it:

The little dots would indicate which notification you were on and how many there were. Swipe left and right would move them, swipe down would hide the notifications and swipe up from the bezel would show them again. Tap it for actions including removing that notification.

Quote:

I could see Apple doing something along these lines to address the woeful notification situation.

Apple has the Palm Pre notifications guy on board now so hopefully they will be similar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaqoGGdSfjI

I'm not keen on the huge space it takes up in that example. I think a small line of text with the app name or icon would suffice and then you'd tap the notification to see the actions.

Quote:

I'd be curious to see your ideas about something similar to give us more info on the home screen. I suspect they'll never give in to the flashy Android billboard idea, no matter how much fans of that platform seem to feel a phone isn't fully alive until you have all kinds of shit going on all the time every time you look at it. I could see some very refined, user selectable data.

I actually like the current design. I really don't like the Android setup nor the Windows Phone setup because I think it's better to know what to expect when you perform an action. WP7 has no scrollbars and it just crops content, with Android, it's not immediately obvious what screen you are moving to.

One thing they could do with the above design is replace the search page with a Dashboard-like page (they'd call it mission control now probably) but I don't think it could be setup the same way. What would be useful though is a feed that pulls a collection of information in from supported apps shown above. They would have this for all apps and it could be in the SDK so developers can push data into the feed.

For calls, you can have a list of items like missed calls and voicemails in order missed and who from. You'd have Twitter and Facebook feeds and you could just use it as a planner so that you knew what activity needed the most attention. It would just be a scrollable list of single line feeds. Tapping one could open a full-screen popup or just expand inline.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98

If Apple tried to keep "the identity", the new Mac Book Air would still have resembled the Apple-I (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_I)

Large iPhone and iPad bezels are nothing more than a design compromise. It should and will go away.

The identity can change for sure. The white iMac going to the metal one was a large change but they still maintain some unique design characteristics so that you can tell even without the logo that you are looking at an Apple product. That wasn't the case with products like the Apple 1 as they looked the same as the others.

I like the idea of a bigger screen for browsing, especially but a slightly taller screen would do this and give more space for typing in portrait mode.